Delaware Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: pbsdaddy

Thinking about rattle canning the truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM
ranger88stx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about rattle canning the truck

LOL so i got some semi flat to paint my rear bumper to match the roll bar and front bumper. When i was done i looked at my tailgate that is(was) green, my truck is dark blue. I figured the black would match better anyway so i sprayed the tailgate. To my surprise it actually came out pretty good. Now i'm sitting here thinking about taping her up and just shooting the whole truck lol. Anyone ever just spray canned a car before? A guy on the corvette forum actually used a roller on his Vette but spent many many many hours wet sanding to get it to look good. I don't care about the shine just want to cover up all the scratches and blemishes in the old paint. Here is what it ended up looking like

Old 03-10-2007, 08:57 PM
shortbed7.3
Senior User
if your not too worried about the finish,get some rustoleum ,and have at it.as long as its not too cold you can get a fair finish out of a can.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:03 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
I had a friend who rattle canned a jeep and then put flames on it. All he did was use rubbing compound after it sat for 2 days to smooth the paint. came out nicer than we all expected. lasted for several years doing hard time wheelin'. Take a little time and it "can" be done.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:11 PM
rdz
Senior User
its hard to get a nice look with spray cans (most colors are not an exact match) it would probally take at least 10 cans to make it look half decent flat colors are easy but gloss and metalic suck

for the price you pay for all those cans it would just as easy to buy a gallon of auto paint and use a paint gun at least it would look better(i've learn't from experience)

Old 03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
ranger88stx
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rdz
its hard to get a nice look with spray cans (most colors are not an exact match) it would probally take at least 10 cans to make it look half decent flat colors are easy but gloss and metalic suck

for the price you pay for all those cans it would just as easy to buy a gallon of auto paint and use a paint gun at least it would look better(i've learn't from experience)
I thought about that too but then figured the cost of a good gun, plus if i had a good gun i would probably try and use a decent paint which would also jack up the price. The semi flat came out pretty good. I may just clean out the bed and paint the inside of it to see how it turns out. i got the big rusty hole in the side fender which would look kinda cheesy painted over top of i would like to fix but don't know anything bout body repair so that deters me a little. We'll see what happens i can see me getting bored one day and just doing it lol.
notice said rusty fender

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
rdz
Senior User
i've never tryed it but i always wondered how a wagner power paint gun would work

Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
OMG, this is so funny. In one sentence the cost is a concern. In another the word "Cheesy" is used. What am I missing?

BTW, Jason, the pic in you first post looks good and cheesy. Just kiddin.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
rattle can flat paint job. very easy to do.
but if you don't scuff the existing paint, it will just peel off.
get some fine grit sand paper, and scuff the truck up. then go to the dollar store, and get a case of flat black rattle cans. on the way home, stop at the 7-11 and buy a case of beer.
then have fun.

oh yea, i forgot. while at the dollar store, get 4-5 rolls of masking tape, so you can tape the newspaper to the windows, otherwise it will be kind of hard driving to work the next morning after the beer wears off.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
savage2211
Post Fiend
So.How did it come out? Did you do it yet? Pix Please......

Old 04-03-2007, 12:03 PM
ranger88stx
Freshman User
nah haven't messed with it yet. been working on the other toys for now

Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts
Jason maybe you can host a meet--n--greet for the chapter. Admission will be 1 can of flat black and we all will rattle and spray with you.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
savage2211
Post Fiend
LOL...I'm in........