Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko
View Poll Results: Which Branches Did You Serve In?
Army
25.17%
Navy
41.61%
Airforce
12.24%
Marines
12.59%
Coast Guard
3.50%
National Guard
9.09%
Army Reserve
3.85%
Navy Reserve
4.20%
Airforce Reserve
1.75%
Marine Reserve
1.40%
Seabees
2.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Military Branch Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military Branch Poll

Going through the posts in the 'Military' thread I thought it would be fun to do a poll on which branches we came from. This is going to be a multi post, so if you were active and reserve, you can check each of them.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
We can only have 10 poll choices, so don't think I forgot about other reserve units.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
My NG Units

I served in the CA NG and was active duty with the Hawaii Army National Guard...Thinking back, I was working active duty in Diamondhead, could have retired doing that, but decided that I had to be a Ranger, so went RA.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Placermike//decided that I had to be a Ranger, so went RA.:-X15[/QUOTE
Brother Ranger,Didnt know till just now. Served 75-81. Ft.camble,Ft. bragg,
Dahlonega GA, Okinawa, Korea, And parts unknown. Airborne

Last edited by nubeee1; 03-31-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 AM
kwob
Senior User
Army here and so far it looks like the US Army is in the lead...!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U.S. Navy 27 years, and proudly spent time with the Marines for a bit when a landlocked sailor. Yankee Station to Kuwait, and many great ports in between.

OooRah!

Oops, i can't say that ground-pounder lingo, hmmm... then>

A round for me 'mates!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:20 AM
kwob
Senior User
Anybody know where that ohhrah got started? Had to have been after 1989 when I was discharged...don't remember it at all.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Then that might have been just as it started, dunno', cuz I first heard it from Marine Cpl Barber in Saudi in 1990. He was a big wild-eyed **** too...smart...wanted him on my side.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:44 AM
kwob
Senior User
Must have started shortly after I got out. I'll ask a friend of mine that was stationed with me in Germany. He retired in 98, so I'm sure it was in use then

Old 04-08-2007, 12:54 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RexB
U.S. Navy 27 years, and proudly spent time with the Marines for a bit when a landlocked sailor. Yankee Station to Kuwait, and many great ports in between.
RexB; Are you a shellback?? A friend of mime in the Navy told me about that nick name!

OOOH Raaah Was still used in 77 @ Ft. Makinato, Okinawa. (Marine base) By the jar heads there!!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
well as a squid ooh rah was never part of our vocabulary. instead we used hoo yah but that was in spec war, and we certainly couldnt use a sissy marine cry. dont know about the origins. as for the sissy marine comment, let it be known that we loved the marine corps. something comforting about knowing that the marines landing beaches were nice and tidy thanks to us. yeah right marines dont storm beaches anymore than we reconed beaches. seriously it was comforting to know that when the **** hit the fan, we could have some marine backup. some of the best fights i was ever in were against marines, but afterwords we could always be counted on to help each other beat up anyone else. hahaha, good times. Dan

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
well as a squid ooh rah was never part of our vocabulary. instead we used hoo yah but that was in spec war, and we certainly couldnt use a sissy marine cry. dont know about the origins. as for the sissy marine comment, let it be known that we loved the marine corps. something comforting about knowing that the marines landing beaches were nice and tidy thanks to us. yeah right marines dont storm beaches anymore than we reconed beaches. seriously it was comforting to know that when the **** hit the fan, we could have some marine backup. some of the best fights i was ever in were against marines, but afterwords we could always be counted on to help each other beat up anyone else. hahaha, good times. Dan
Hi dusterDan! I'm doin' Ooo Rah!, played most with grunts, you can do the hoo yah for SEAL/UDT. We're all NAVY. Homeport at Sandog for a few years, lived in IB, saw you guys working in the sand.

Originally Posted by nubeee1
RexB; Are you a shellback?? A friend of mime in the Navy told me about that nick name!

OOOH Raaah Was still used in 77 @ Ft. Makinato, Okinawa. (Marine base) By the jar heads there!!
Yea, shellback on USS Kitty Hawk '74, Bluenose on USS Buffalo in '87 (i thimk, it was on New Years and forget which side of the line.) Good lingo nubeee1

Good, then we've got the Ooo Rah! back far as '77 now. I'm wondering if the Marines at Inchon or Omaha Beach used it too? Where's an old guy here for information?

Okinawa eh? Remember White Beach (i thimk that's the name)? We pulled in there emergency port call once on (in) the USS Honolulu for food...stayed a coupla' daze..."E" street maybe, hard to sort through the beers.

Last edited by RexB; 04-08-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:04 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RexB
Okinawa eh? Remember White Beach (i thimk that's the name)? We pulled in there emergency port call once on (in) the USS Honolulu for food...stayed a coupla' daze..."E" street maybe, hard to sort through the beers.
White Beach oh Yah!! Naha, Kadena,= Red light Dist. Too much fun!!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
yea rex, i have some fond memories of that sand along the silver strand, who new hell could be so great. were you a corpsman? i was just a boatswains mate, not that rate mattered any in our sandbox. the jarheads sure loved their navy corpsmen. Dan

Old 04-08-2007, 09:17 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Didn't look like fun from where I was sitting, you guys were humping way too hard. And that's just what the public saw. Would have been proud to be a corpsman with those troops, but no I was a CT spook that the FMF let tag along with a few times. You Boats ain't all bad -- my fav ordinanceman was a BM, switched to GM, knew his stuff about both ships and small weapons. Bosun's kept the fleet running, OOORah!

Quick Reply: Military Branch Poll