Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Post before and after pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Motorhead26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Post before and after pics here!

My before pics are here but my after and in between pics are still in progress. As of the moment I am in the process of replacing my radiator core support, and the bushing mounts with polyurethane bushings to be accompanied by a 3" body lift. From these pictures you can see why!

Before the removal of the radiator support the passenger bushing was looking the worst out of front two. As you can see, no maintenance upkeep went into this truck before someone like yours truely appreciated it enough to fix it.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...6/smaller2.jpg

Front picture of the passenger side core support
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...26/smaller.jpg

Top of the passenger bushing bolted to the core support...where's the nut?
Answer: Rusted away...grrrreaaat!
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/Motorhead26/smaller1.jpg

Last edited by Motorhead26; 03-06-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Ahh, someone else who will appreciate just how much rust is a "B"!!!

On my '87 F150, I had a pretty badly rusted out passenger side in the same area. It wasn't water though, battery acid had been leaking for god knows how long and eating everything away as it built up

On my '78 the passenger side was even worse than yours, enough that all I needed to do was pry it off

You gonna try your hand at patching?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
I dunno? I've been told it is probably better that I hit up the junk yards, or just get a new one if I can't find one. I would like to see what other people have, or any junk yard have to offer. I have only seen a handfull of these trucks in the yards, because they are still on the roads today. I talked to a guy about buying one that was scrape for $300 without the engine from his yard, but I don't know if its still there. I have no idea how to weld beside the fact that I did it for a bit in agriculture class when I was in high school. I would pay for someone to help me out if they know what they are doing. I have some friends that weld, but to not pay them to do it right and have them just hose it all up is something that I'm not sure if I want to do. I need to cut those bolts out though!

Motorhead26

Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
vanwho
Senior User
rad support

Mine looked like yours. And yes, It was on the passenger side too. As for me, I bit the bullit and ponied up the cash and bought a new one from LMC. Me and a buddy from work spent 6 hours last year on the 4th of July weekend replacing it. ( whew! what a job that was! ) It was like the old mounts had "welded" themselves to the frame.( can you say rusted to the frame? ) But, I'm glad I got it done. This year I'm going to tackle the cab mounts. Any volunteers out there?
One piece at a time along with all the other ideas I think I can afford!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
I think biteing the bullet is a good idea, but I also have a motor to build along with all the little things that I am doing. Because I am the only one working on it, I will work on it about 3 to 4 hours and may wait a couple days so I do not get burnt out and then some. I am going to check out the junk yards first though and then work with what I have...if I can. If worse comes to worse, I am just going to bite the bullet like you did and get it a new one.

Motorhead26

Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 PM
vanwho
Senior User
I would think that you could find one in the "yards" very easily. The trick is gettin it before someone else does.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
I would have to agree that you are right about that. Like I said before they are still running strong all over the roads today.

Motorhead26

Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
vanwho
Senior User
I had a 1988 XLT Lariat. I wanted a newer truck, but, then I found the 70' I have now and just had to have it, if you know what I mean. Easier to work on, IMHO. Besides, now I have fun fixing it. Pleasure from the results was worth the cost as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
I know what you mean about having to have it. I got my truck for $100 bucks, and a promise to seal the deck of his house that I am renting out at the moment, in replacement of the $400 I still needed to pay him on it. We worked it out and that was the deal. So I got a $100 dollar truck and when summer comes around he gets his deck pressure washed, sealed, and screened in. That will be very nice for the summer months. My family and I will be able to sit outside and eat dinner.

Motorhead26

Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM
vanwho
Senior User
Good for you, and the other guy.

edit: everything happens for a reason.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
Agreed! It sure does! I definitely got what I want. You may not have ever felt this way, but have you ever looked at your project and thought; man that is a lot to put back together! I ask that because my front end is apart and it looks like it will never go back together. I mean the engine is in clear sight because of my work on the core support. You know where I am coming from?

Motorhead26

Old 03-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Are you driving the truck? If not, take it off and leave it off. It will be easier to put your new motor in with the front clip off. You can remove it now, repair any rust you find along the way, and put off buying a new radiator support until you either find one for a good price and let it sit or until after your motor is in and you ust can't stand it anymore

Either way, you'll be time ahead

Wish I coulda got my truck for $100

Old 03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Motorhead26
Senior User
The engine still runs, but it is in not to good condition. The last owner said it ran fine, and it did, to a point. It still starts once I get the spark plugs back in there, but it is just not up to par and I don't know if I have the time to fix it. I might be moving soon like I said, and if I want it to run and pull my little car along with it, I have to have the engine in, and whatever I can get done under the hood done soon. I plan on taking any rusted parts off and cleaning them up and then putting it all back together. As for the engine, I have a friend that MIGHT help me with the rebuild, but now that the front end is off and the bushings on the body mounts are gettign replaced I do not know if I will be able to get it to his place to work on it. I need a torch so that I can just torch these suckers out and get to working on the new stuff. I just don't have everything I need and am working with what I do have. If anyone wants to help out..feel free to tell me. Dinners will be on me! On top of all that I don't have a garage so that cuts into my time under the hood if it rains or something. I'm thinking of checking out how much it would cost for a canopy type garage. Something I can set up and take down. Anyway, I have to work with what I have like I said.

Motorhead26

Old 03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Found this on CraigsList. . .

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/291194291.html

He has 2 radiator supports out of 81-86 Bronco's, $50 each. I know a lot of parts are interchangable with the 80-96/97 trucks, might work for you I dunno how you wouold check lol, maybe ask in the forum?

Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Motorhead26
Senior User
Dude I just sent them an e-mail so I hope it all works out. Your the man!

Motorhead26

Quick Reply: Post before and after pics here!