Some BD basic questions

Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
skibender
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some BD basic questions

I search many sites but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for - unless I'm just missing the answers.
I'm going to make my 1st small batch using the Dr. Pepper recipe. I'm going to use SVO. When heating the oil to 140 deg., do I need to hold the oil at that temp. for a certaim amount of time or just take it up to 140 deg. and then turn off the heat?
After the batch is made and the glyercine is at the bottom of the bottle, do I drain the BD from the glyercine manually or is that the whole purpose of the washing? Any help would be appreaciated.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wish I could attach a picture. The the instructions that I recieved said to gently put your thumb over the mouth of the bottle and slowly release it until the glygerine starts running out. drain the glycerine out slowly. once you have removed the gylcerine then begin the washing process. had to get help from this forum myself in order to get the process done, but after 4 washes it did come clear.
Now that it is starting to warm up, I need to start working on a bigger processor. need to find a source of wvo and a place to make it.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skibender
I search many sites but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for - unless I'm just missing the answers.
I'm going to make my 1st small batch using the Dr. Pepper recipe. I'm going to use SVO. When heating the oil to 140 deg., do I need to hold the oil at that temp. for a certaim amount of time or just take it up to 140 deg. and then turn off the heat?
After the batch is made and the glyercine is at the bottom of the bottle, do I drain the BD from the glyercine manually or is that the whole purpose of the washing? Any help would be appreaciated.
Welcome to FTE Once your up to temp your good to go! With the Dr Pepper method just put your thumb over the mouth and turn it over SLOWLY! When all the glycerol is in the bottom then slowly release it till you start getting bio, then you can turn it right side up.

Try going to this site, there is a lot of good info there: http://biodieselcommunity.org

Old 03-06-2007, 11:57 AM
skibender
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have that site and many others bookmarked. I didn't find the specfic answers I was looking for. I probably just missed it. There are so many good sites out there and everyone is so helpful. It's great to see all the good ideas shared with each other.

One other question comes to mind. After draining the glycerin, I see many people make soap out of it. If I don't make soap, do I just discard the glycerin? If so, how do I discard? I would imagine that it shouldn't just be dumped onto the grass?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
might be the incorrest thing to say, but since it is such a small amount it went down the drain. THis is a good question though when you are dealing with gallons as opposed to less than a liter. I am curious myself.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skibender
Yes, I have that site and many others bookmarked. I didn't find the specfic answers I was looking for. I probably just missed it. There are so many good sites out there and everyone is so helpful. It's great to see all the good ideas shared with each other.

One other question comes to mind. After draining the glycerin, I see many people make soap out of it. If I don't make soap, do I just discard the glycerin? If so, how do I discard? I would imagine that it shouldn't just be dumped onto the grass?
I use KOH not NaOH, so I mix my glycerol with 50% water at 150 deg F and apply it on my alfalfa fields for fertilizer. I can also mix up to 10% with my cattle feed. If you use NaOH it makes a great weed killer, it will kill anything thats green! If you live in the city it also makes a great additive to a compost pile.