Sponsored by:

Tips for Improving Fuel Economy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 10:05 PM
RAzaRazor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have been reading though the archives, and read several posts by people saying they are getting decent fuel mileage (14+ Mixed Usage).
Normally Fuel Economy and Bronco don't go in the same sentence, but it is a nice perk to save some money on gas. (So we can spend it elsewhere on the Bronco.)

Anyway, my Bronco is a 93, with the 5.8L. It has 31" tires, no lift, and stock everything. I just added a K&N filter today, so I don't know if that will have an effect. (Doubt it.)
I use it for daily commuting; 20 freeway miles each day plus about 5 city. I am currently getting a little over 11 MPG.
Granted this is a lot more than some older bronco drivers are getting, but it still seems a little low for a 93. I drive it lightly, only accellerating hard when the situation warrants, and I usually keep it at 70 on the freeway.

What would you suggest doing to improve this?

What I want to know is:
What kind of Gas mileage are you currently getting?
What have you done in the past to improve upon that number?
What past failures have you had in trying to improve gas mileage?
How do you drive your bronco? City? Highway? Towing? Off-Road?

Be sure to tell us what year, engine size, modifications you have done to your truck, etc...

Thanks! Hopefully we can all share each others knowledge to improve our own Broncos!

Old 08-25-2002, 12:15 AM
ftrucktough
Senior User

When I first bought my 1993 5.8L Bronco from my grandpa, there were no modifications done to it. I did, however, put on 31x10.5x15 BFG AT tires. I drove it that way, about 30 miles per day, a third of which at 55 or so. I considered myself to do a decent amount of in-town driving at around 30-35. For about 4 or 5 tankfulls, I was getting a consistent 12.8, 12.7, 12.4, 12.9MPG. I then, however, put on a Hypertech Ignition coil, Ford racing cap rotor and 9mm wires, bosch platinum plugs. Since I've done that, with a lot of the same driving, I would get 14.2, 13.9, 13.5, 14.3MPG. Pretty consistently higher than before tuneup. Recently, since I've been going out with this girl for about 2 months, I've been putting on more miles, more highway miles of stop and go of 55MPH county trunk roads. I've been averaging about 400 miles per week (or one tankfull almost) including all the city driving before, and the added highway. In the past month since i've been doing that, i've seen 14.8, 14.6, and even 15.0MPG. I'm only 19 years old, and you guys can probably imagine how i drive. Well, being that I am only 19, I don't have a lot of $$$$ (the girlfriend gets that), I pretty much baby the truck except for getting on the freeway or something.

So, to sum up, a good mixture or highway and city driving, at a rate of 400 miles per week, with stock 5.8L except for SMALL Ignition mods, I get at or near 15MPG.

Old 08-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world

give it a good tune up, slow down 5 miles an hour on the freeway. take off slowly and slow down more gradually. if it is injected try some injector cleaner. if it is carbed, well, there aint a whole lot you can do with a holley. cross your fingers and toes, and drive it.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:32 PM
CityBronco
Senior User

Yes, I agree on reducing the speed limit. I have noticed that I burn more fuel any speeds over 65 mph. I don't do much driving, just to work and back mainly 5 days a week and I fill up every 2 weeks. I should prolly see what my fuel economy is but...im not really one for keeping track of miles. Kewl on the K&N Filter..I just put on in today myself and I can see noticible difference in throttle response. Which prolly means I will be burning more gas...heh.

Old 08-25-2002, 11:12 PM
ftrucktough
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Aug-02 AT 00:15 AM (EST)]Ok, so maybe going right out the rear isn't such a great thing after all. So, what do you guys run exactly for exhaust that sounds like i described originally? I don't want to spend an arm a leg, but i want something i can do easily myself and look good too. any additional input would be great, thanx guys, you're the best

Old 08-26-2002, 12:30 AM
CityBronco
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Aug-02 AT 01:46 AM (EST)]I am in the same dilemma ftrucktough, I am looking for a exhaust that sounds mean, but won't wake up any neighboorhoods. I currently have my eye on the Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 series...still looking around though. Most exhaust makers have bolt on exhausts and kat back systems. I really don't hear any problems with bolt on, but I feel better and safer when the exhaust is welded so I know there are no leaks. I have currently seen systems by Flowmaster, Borla and Rancho but I know there are more out there. Good luck in your hunt, let me know if you find something good.

Answering the Question Above :

Basically, gas milage does not really concern me that much UNLESS I start getting really crappy gas Milage. But you don't buy a Bronco for Gas Milage, well...I know I didn't...I bought my Bronco for its size and room. I have had quite a few small cars and trucks in the past like a 72 Superbeetle, Mazda B2000 Mini Truck, 85 280-ZX so I was finally glad to buy a car where I can move around in. If I wanted good gas milage....I would have bought a Toyota Matrix or some economy car. I am sure people who drive eXcursions didn't even glance a the fuel economy, heh.

But to answer the questions at the top..

What I want to know is:

What kind of Gas mileage are you currently getting? Last I checked it was around 14 mpg on average....I do mainly highway driving.

What have you done in the past to improve upon that number? Use some gas cleaners, make sure front end is aligned, run on good tires, change my oil frequently. A mod was done before I bought my Bronco, but I can't tell what it is since the pen ink has faded.

What past failures have you had in trying to improve gas mileage? None, not really concerned about it unless my mpg gets ridiculous.

How do you drive your bronco? City? Highway? Towing? Off-Road? Mainly Highway and City....light off-road..no towing yet....but I'm getting a boat soon.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2002, 01:58 AM
8996EBBroncos
Elder User

I was reading (on one of the Bronco boards)about a guy that said he stopped using his OD, and that his mileage went up 4 or 5 miles per gallon. He was saying something about, that even though the engine was turning a lower rpm with OD on that the engine was actually working harder. Well my next tankfull of fuel, I'm gonna try it without the OD being engage and see if mine improves any.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:37 AM
RAzaRazor
Junior User

Heh.. 65MPH. That would be suicide on the freeways here in town during the morning commute. Even the cops would be passing me.

Things tend to slow down during the day, but during morning rush hour 85 was not uncommon in the fast lane when I was driving my Camry. I couldn't go that fast in the Bronco if I wanted to.

Old 08-26-2002, 01:53 PM
CityBronco
Senior User

Same over here in Texas, RAzaRazor. Even on toll roads most people average 75 to 80 mph. My speedometer only goes to 85 so I really have no idea how fast it can go..heh...don't really want to find out either.

Old 08-26-2002, 05:48 PM
OfficerLow
Freshman User

I had a 95 Eddie Bauer Bronco 351. All stock except for K&N drop in filter and 31" BFG AT's.

At first I was getting about 370 miles to a tank and filling up with about 27 gallons. One day after filling up I decided that I would try driving the speed limit and taking off really easy and slow from stops. My mileage for that tank went up to 425 miles.

Later I decided to get Flowmasters and had a 40 Series one in two out installed. My mileage jumped to 460 miles to a tank. I was getting around 16.5 MPG when I sold it. Pretty good for the big 351.

Mileage was the same city and highway.

Old 08-26-2002, 06:36 PM
RAzaRazor
Junior User

Actually I was wondering if a better flowing exhaust could improve things.
The limited range is really driving me crazy. I don't dare go much over 300 miles. 300?!?!

:-X23

Old 08-28-2002, 12:51 AM
SubmarineAZ
Senior User

96 Ford Bronco, engine all stock with the exception of K&N filter.
4" Pro Comp lift, 33"12.50 R15 BFG All Terrains on 10" aluminum wheels.
I two two jetskies just about every weekend, total trailer weight around 1000 lbs.
During the summer, AC is on all the time, and I'm in a hurry to get home so I lead foot it a bit (duck the photo radar).

Average fuel economy since May (included trips to Laughlin w/ ski's very hilly drive): about 11.5 mpg

Just went to Mexico, straight 140 miles to border, kept it at 80-85mph probably 90% of the drive, AC on of course: 12.6 mpg (no trailer)

It's noticeably better in the winter, around 13 in town, 15 highway.

Old 08-28-2002, 01:17 AM
cyberdr2
Junior User

OfficerLow, what is the one in two out you were talking about? Is your exaust tubes stock or larger? I am about ready to replace my exhaust from the cat back and would like to put something on that help improve my mileage. Thanks

Old 08-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Miketnf150
Senior User

Hey guys I just checked the exhaust shop here in town (Kingsport, TN.) and he said I could go with true dual on my bronco. I have two Flowmaster 50 series I am going to go with with 2 1/2" pipe... I can't wait to hear her run and see what it does with my MPG. Exhaust I would say go with true duals if you can. I know emissions get some of you guys and I hate it for ya....

95 EB Bronco, 351, 5.8L, 4x4 (stock) for now.
Miketnf150

Old 08-29-2002, 04:33 AM
lurch
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 93 Eddie Bauer with a 302. The only mods I've done so far is a k&n and a 1" throttle body spacer. Had to go to a funeral one weekend and going 55 the whole way I pulled about 18-20 mpg (lots of hills and pushing the wind the whole way.) If I get over 55 then she really starts to suck gas so I just try to keep my foot out of it:P Soon to have headers and true duals with no cats (no exhaust laws in ND) so we'll see how she does after that.

Quick Reply: Tips for Improving Fuel Economy?