Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
dannyo35
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Explorer XLS with automatic transmission. When it shifts into what seems to be 5th or 6th gear at about 45 mph, the car shakes or rumbles a little like I am driving over ripples in the road. That is the only time it does it. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I was having a similar problem with our 96 Explorer. Did some research from this site and thought it might of been the LS differential. Week ago I unbuttoned the differential cover draining and replacing the fluid. (Make sure first that you can remove the fill plug!). I then refilled with Royal Purple 75w140. Did not add friction modifier since it is already included in the Royal Purple. I do have a tube of Lubegard friction modifier if I need to use it. Did some figure-eights in a parking lot and road tested. Still have the same problem as you described.

I felt like the rumble, like running over the small road turtles or a cattle guard for just a second or so, as somewhere beneath my feet.

Did some more research on this site and learned that the transmission is suspected and that Ford has suggested using the Ford friction modifier (now xl3) adding it to the transmission fluid. There are posts on this site where it has been added to Crown Vic fleet vehicles.

A few days ago I added 4 ounces of the xl3 to my transmission fluid. The problem seems to be gone now. I will know for sure next week when I take a 600 mile round trip over the mountains to the other side of the state.

I will find some of those posts and paste them here for you.

Casey

Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
dannyo35
New User

Thanks. Can I just add 4 oz of xl3 or do I have to drain 4 oz of transmission fluid before I add the xl3?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
caseys
Posting Guru
It is my thought that if the trans fluid is full when properly checked...then you would want to remove the 4 ounces of fluid before adding the modifier. Otherwise you would be overfilling the trans. I spent a couple of days checking my trans fluid both hot and cold to get a good idea where the level was. I used a long plastic hose to remove 4 ounces of cold fluid. I put the hose in the fill tube and used my thumb to close off the upper end creating a vacuum then pulled the tube out. I did this a few times until I had taken out 4 ounces (measured). I then added the modifier and over the next few days again checked the fluid level both hot and cold.

At the end of this week I will be making a 600 mile round trip drive back and forth over the mountain pass...this will be the test to see how well the modifier is working. Will keep ya all posted.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:03 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Got back yesterday after my drive over the mountains and back. Previously I would experience the shuddering numerous times throughout the trip. This time I did not have it happen at all. The tranny shifting up and down through the rolling hills was flawless...felt good. The shudder is gone.

Casey

Old 03-11-2007, 10:21 PM
jcope988
Freshman User
I'm having the same problem wife the wife's 02 explorer xls. I guess I'll swing by the ford dealership and pick up a bottle and try it. I'll post after I've driven it for a little while.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:35 PM
jcope988
Freshman User
I'm tring to figure out what to use as a reference point to level my 02 explorer so i can check the tranny level. I've tried putting it on 4 jackstands and adjusting the the height , using the tranny pan, and also using the top of the cab. With both the tranny fluid still pours out, as if it is overfilled.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:25 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
jcope988...where is the tranny spilling out from? My transmission fluid is filled thru the dipstick tube, the vehicle would have to be on the side or upside down to spill out.

Just to make sure...are we talking about the transmission or the differential?

I added the friction modifier to my tranmission... (same friction modifier that is used in the differential).

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 AM
caseys
Posting Guru
...another suggestion. Do not remove the transmission pan. With a proper level of fluid there is more fluid in the system then the pan can hold. If you take off the transmission pan you will experience a transmission fluid bath.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:15 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
[QUOTE=dannyo35]I have a 2002 Explorer XLS with automatic transmission. When it shifts into what seems to be 5th or 6th gear at about 45 mph,QUOTE]

sounds more like a torque converter shudder....

Old 03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
pbjohns
Senior User
I have the 02 XLT V6 Auto. I think yours is the same as mine. The trans is a sealed unit, = no dipstick. The fill and drain plug is all one unit. Take it to a shop, or a buddy, who can do the work, or even help you do it. I think a special tool is used to remove or add fluid to the tranny. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:46 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by pbjohns
I have the 02 XLT V6 Auto. I think yours is the same as mine. The trans is a sealed unit, = no dipstick. The fill and drain plug is all one unit. Take it to a shop, or a buddy, who can do the work, or even help you do it. I think a special tool is used to remove or add fluid to the tranny. Good luck.
what? are you for real? never hear/knew about that!

Old 03-16-2007, 12:29 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Geez....guess the Ford techs were having too many martini lunches.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl066i.htm

Hopes this helps explain what we have all just learned here.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 PM
jcope988
Freshman User
In every servicing description i have read (about 5 of them), they all say the same thing as the one casey posted, they all also say to support and level the vehicle. Which would be important since there is just a tube in the pan which is the exact height the fluid needs to be, if the vehicle is not level and is tilted to much in one direction that would not allow me to check the fluid level properly. Since the plugs are on the left, vehicle tilted left, means fluid tilted left, would act like to much fluid,causing me to let to much fluid out. vehicle tilted right, fluid tilted right might act like not enough fluid in it, causing me to overfill it, and so on with the front and back of the vehicle being level.

I'm just tring to figure out if anyone knows what these maintanence manuals and descriptions are using as a point of refernce to level the vehicle or are they saying leveling the pan or maybe I can use the oil pan , if i remember correctly I think the oil pans on these are fairly flat.

Quick Reply: 2002 Ford Explorer automatic transmission problem