See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE

Old 03-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Marty86
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spoke with the dealership today. He said my Ranger was within the build dates that had the problem with the transmission. However, it doesn't seem that I have the problem because I really am not experiencing problems. My question to him, was should I go ahead and get the updated valve body seperator plate, or should leave it alone. His thought is wait until I have problems. My thought is do it now so I don't have to worry about it. Thoughts?

Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
CMOS
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marty86
I just spoke with the dealership today. He said my Ranger was within the build dates that had the problem with the transmission. However, it doesn't seem that I have the problem because I really am not experiencing problems. My question to him, was should I go ahead and get the updated valve body seperator plate, or should leave it alone. His thought is wait until I have problems. My thought is do it now so I don't have to worry about it. Thoughts?

Absolutely do it now.

CMOS

Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
To Steve (SWOGEE)

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">I believe I have EXACLTY the same problem as learmoia who posted on 1/15/07 (in another thread?) and Steve (swogee) who posted in this thread and wrote:

"I just read over this thread and I think the problem I am having with my 2001 Ford Ranger may be this "valve body" problem but I wanted to make sure. I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x2 with the 4.0 SOHC engine. It has an automatic transmission. The transmission seems to lag in shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear sometimes. In addition the overdrive light seems to flash randomly. The truck only has 65K miles on it. Does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this? What are the symptoms of the valve body problem? Are there any other parts that may cause these problems?"

I've looked through the repair procedure posted by Ford Boy 52: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...click-here.html and I'm going to proceed with the suggested repair within the next week or 2. I'll post the results when I get a chance.
I have the 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4x4, 60K or so miles

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM
gustang818
Elder User
About a year ago I posted here about a trans problem and never got any response. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...y-problem.html
Originally Posted by gustang818
I have a 2005 Ranger with the 2.3L engine and 5 speed automatic transmission and about 16,000 miles on the odometer. This is my third Ranger but first with an automatic. On occasion when I slow from a higher speed to between 20-30 and then accelerate again (like when coming up to a red stoplight that changes green), the transmission acts like it is in two gears at once. It then "thumps" when whatever it is releases and the truck accelerates normally. Anyone have an idea what causes this and what effect it may have on the tranny's lifespan? I thought it might be something to do with the lock-up torque converter or the tranny actually being in two gears at once.
I took the truck to the dealership and the service manager and I drove around for two hours trying to show him the problem. Of course the trans wouldn't do it and the SM could only say that maybe it was my driving technique.

It is still an intermittent problem occurring under the same conditions. It feels like it is binding when I initially apply the throttle after slowing and sometimes it bangs and other times just thumps when the bind lets loose. This wouldn't have anything to do with the separator plate? I've only got 6000 more miles of warranty left.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:30 PM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
I think that is a different problem than the one I'm having. I remember reading somewhere in this thread that the 05 model year was not known for this problem. What I have is a just an RPM increase without a vehicle speed increase that lasts a few seconds then acceleration continues with no bumps or jerks, all very smooth and limited to the 2nd to 3rd gear shift only. Yours almost sounds like what you would see with a bad U joint in a rear wheel drive vehicle, since it sounds like it depends on load, but that's just an un-educated guess. Good luck

Old 03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RCWMTW
What I have is a just an RPM increase without a vehicle speed increase that lasts a few seconds then acceleration continues with no bumps or jerks, all very smooth and limited to the 2nd to 3rd gear shift only.
That's often referred to as a "2-3 flare" and may or may not be related to the valve body problem. Some people are able to alleviate that condition by adjusting the bands:

4R44E/4R55E 5R44E/5R55E: Single wrap bands.

- Overdrive band = 2.0 turns back.
- Intermediate band (1995-1998) = 2.5 turns back. All other years 2.0 turns back.

The procedure for adjusting the bands is as follows:

Loosen the nut on the adjusting stud while holding the stud in place. Set your torque wrench to 10 ft.-lbs. (120 in.-lbs.), and tighten the stud. When it reaches 10 ft.-lbs. refer to the above specifications to set the proper amount of turns back. Hold the stud in place, and lock the nut to 35-45 ft.-lbs

Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
cddz
Senior User
I will try to explain my problem in the greatest detail possible. I have a 97 mazda B4000 Approx 165k miles. I also have the 5R55E. I am not sure if the problems i am currently having with my transmission is due to a blow VBG. At times my tranny does not lockup, tripping P1744 code. I took it to a local transmission shop and he drove it while the problem was accuring. When he came bag from the "test drive" he said call him in a couple of days...... He needed to do some research. I know enough about how a transmission operates to understand why my tranny is shifting hard when it does not get lockup. The tech told me the computer was not telling it to lock up, but why would it trip that code? The pcm has to tell the TCC to engage in order for it to fail the test. But if what he says is true, i would only assume that the computer "thinks" there is a load on the engine, not allowing it to go into lockup. The tranny does go into OD, and it not always has the lockup problem. I tested the stall speed which is close to 2800 rpm, which tells me the clutches and plates are okay. I do not notice any slippage, the motor is strong. Any one out there in Ranger land have any ideas? And is this full line pressure engagment going to hurt the already tired tranny?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:14 PM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
Any ideas on how to determine whether the valve body alone is the problem? I've never adjusted bands, I assume that is done with the pan off?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:28 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
both of you need to try reading the rest of this post. i have helped others figure out if it is the gasket

Matt

Old 03-15-2007, 08:42 PM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
RE: First gear engine breaking

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">From Fordboy 52:

"u should feel it pull the trucks speed down. this is a very good indicator that your valve body is leaking by due to a gasket problem. please list all vehicle info you have"

If I understand this correctly, the absence of, or diminished, engine braking in 1st gear indicates leakage at the valve body gasket, in other words a blown gasket

Correct?

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 4wd, v6 5 speed OD, manufacture date 3/2000

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 03-15-2007, 08:44 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
yes, you are correct.

Matt

Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
Thanks, mine has virtually no engine braking in 1st with the gear selector in 1, might as well be in neutral

Old 03-17-2007, 03:35 AM
skook
New User
Talking 4R55E trans shift problems

Ok im a newbie here and i posted my trans problem in the wrong section so i just copy and pasted it here where it can help others on this board ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hello my first post , Ok i got a 2000 ford ranger reg cab non 4 wheel drive , 3.0 motor , auto trans 4 speed , And my problem is when i take off from a dead stop the first to secound shift hits very hard and late but when i manaualy shift from first to secound it shifts fine , So i took it to amco and they said the problem with these trans is the gasket in between the valve body blows out , And they want $300 just for the tear down , So does this sound right ? Im shure i can handle the job if this is the problem with the valve body but if it deeper in the trans i dont want to mess with it , I was looking at that read me first part of this web site and found the trans gasket part but is that the trans i have or is mine the A4LD ? Or do they all have this same problem , Ok enuff questions for now thanks . And after a few replys and finding out which trans i had , i posted this a few days later

Ok i just got done doing all my repairs and now it shifts just fine , It was not all that hard and saved some money , Here is my total cost , from auto zone $36.52 for brake cleaner & 7 quarts castrol mercon 5 trans fluid ,And from the ford dealer , bord ford in whittier ca, $152.70 , And thats for the trans filter & gasket , And the seperaitor plate and the Valve kit (TSB) Total = $189.22 For anyone else who has the 4R553 auto trans here are the part numbers , The plate with bounded gaskets was = 1L5Z7Z490EA , And the EPC Blow Off Valve kit number is= 3L5Z7M203JA also on the work sheet for this kit it also looks like it fits other auto trans = 4R55E/55E, and 5R44E/5R55E ,And for the trans filter which it says in the valve kit instructions to only use ford trans filter and gasket , And the part numbers are = gasket -F5TZ7A191A , And trans filter -ZL2Z7A098CA Ok i hope this helps others on here as this site helped me I am very thankfull for all the info on this fine site and hope to give back some help when and where i can again THANK YOU .

Old 03-17-2007, 08:06 AM
RCWMTW
Freshman User
Ordered the parts for my 01 Sport Trac with the 2nd to 3rd shift 'flare', should be in Monday but now it quit doing it, shifts normally. Engine breaking still does not happen though. Almost makes me think something elses is going on. Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
nope, mine did the same thing. the day before i fixed it it shifted like nothing was wrong. its still hard on the trans

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4r55e 5r55e Ranger / Explorer Transmission Problems - CLICK HERE