2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 cam phaser

Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
matzilla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 cam phaser

Hi all,
Just wanted to say what a wonderful site this is. I was just googling around for 5.4 triton engine knock and cam accross this site so I registered to see what advice I could get. After reading numorous post on the cam phaser, I came to the conclusion that is what is wrong with my 2004 f150 fx4 screw. I currently have 37k miles on and just a coupe of weeks ago started to notice all of the symptoms of the cam phaser knock. Starting my truck in the morning before work it sounds normal, by the time I get to my work, I hear the knocking sound in the cab (mainly on the passagner side) and have also noticed it starts to sound like a disel when I am in a drivethru. Anyways, called the ford dealership and they quoted me $1500 to replace both cam phasers. Well, I don't have that kind of money right now, so I guess my questions are, will it be allright to drive for awhile? Would it be allright to have just the one replaced and the other later? Is there a procedure anywhere on how to do change them out? A friend of mine has been a mechanic in a small shop for about 10yrs, he said he could probably do the replacement if we had a procedure, since he has never seen nothing like that come through his shop. If you have any advise please let me know.
Thanks

Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 PM
rsarek
New User
I have an o4 that does the same thing. aparently the noise will not do any harm, although it drives me nuts. I am going to replace both of mine myself. I did the research and talked to some techs at my ford dealer. I am a bmw tech, and am familiar with doing engine work. I have discovered that the procedure is not that difficult. It just requires one special tool. It is called a timing wedge. I believe that the phaser kit costs about $180 each. It is ok if you just replace one. although, if you have the tool, it is probably better to replace both. You will also need valve cover gaskets.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM
matzilla
New User
Thanks for the reply. The noise also drives me nuts myself. Hopefully my friend can find this tool and get it replaced for me. I'll keep you posted. How do you get the procedure?

Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Phil150
Freshman User
Talking

Hey guys i got a 2004 5.4L 3V and had the problem of the cam phasers tapping. Well i only got 21,000 miles on my F150 and took it to 2 dealers near my house an they said they couldnt do anything. Well while i was up in Michigan visiting my wife parents i took it to a Dealer up their and they took care of it in 1 (one) uno day. I was very happy and it was on the factory warranty dime. Im so glad , i feel your pain and am sorry that you couldnt get it taken care of before your warranty when out. Good luck

Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Phil150
Freshman User
Hey i almost forgot , dont you froget to get the spark plugs looked at i did and wow it was a good thing. FYI

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
FX4Jim3
Junior User
rsarek

How's about posting some photo's when you do the repair.
I'm in the same boat as you, I just can't make my self pay someone $1500.00 if I can do it my self.
Thanks and good luck
FX4jim3

Old 02-23-2007, 04:06 PM
rsarek
New User
if you are nice enough to the ford techs at the dealer, they can print the repairs for you. but i also purchased the factory repair manuals on dvd on ebay. these are slightly outdated (2005) but they also have this repair on them. the older repair just doesnt state that the phaser can be removed this way. It just says the cam can be done this way using the wedge. The procedure is the same for replacing cams and replacing cam phasers, just dont remove the cam bearing caps, and lock the cam down so that it doesnt jump timing, and mark everything. then unbolt the phaser(cam sprocket) and replace with the updated part. I will take some pics when i do the repair. I am very confident, after talking to the techs that this repiar is simple, as long as you have that timing wedge, mechanical knowlege, and patience.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
bmrobertson
New User
Thumbs down

The knocking on my 2008 f150 started at 15 kilometers. It was so bad the truck would not even idle. The dealer replaced the engine, but at 1700 kilometers I can here a faint knocking again. now they are going to change the cam phasers. This is the first vehicle I have ever leased, in three years the truck goes back and I'm going Japanese.

Bill

Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 PM
irishammer
Senior User
Yeah the Japanese cars/trucks have never had engines go bad...LMAO

I had the Ford powertrain warranty for 5yrs/75,000 mi. My dealer diagnosed the problem( I already knew what it was thanks to this site) cam phasers, but told me it wasn't covered. Another dealer told me it was... the first used the wrong part #'s... They(first dealer) fixed it....bill was $900+ and I believe the parts portion was around $300 give or take. It made a night and day difference for me power wise on the freeway! Not sure about in town. No more downshifting while accelerating....unless you tromp it of course!! The engine is quiet like it should. They had my truck for only 4 hours or so so it can't be too awful tough. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
bmrobertson
New User
Yeah the Japanese cars/trucks have never had engines go bad...LMAO

I'm sure they have, but two engines in 1700 kilometers has hurt my confidence in this engine. Also the ford tech that replaced my engine told me that this (cam phasers) is a common problem with the 5.4 that usually appears around 60000 km. (right around the time the warranty expires). His words not mine. This problem combined with the spark plug ejection problem makes owning a Triton past the warranty period unsettling. Now I still have three years of warranty left so we shall see.

P.S. there is a two month back order for the cam phasers.

Bill

Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 PM
irishammer
Senior User
There is NO spark plug ejection problem. This was on the 97-03's. The 2004-2005 or 6 has a problem with them sticking but that is fixed on yours.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:58 AM
FordTechnician
Freshman User
Camshaft Phaser and Sprocket <SUP> Printable View (200 KB)</SUP>

****** content="Camshaft Phaser and Sprocket" name=tps_proctitle>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="50%" border=1><CAPTION>Special Tool(s)</CAPTION><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top>Locking Tool, Timing Chain
303-1175</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Removal
  1. If servicing the RH camshaft phaser and sprocket, remove the RH camshaft. For additional information, refer to Camshaft — RH in this section.
  1. If servicing the LH camshaft phaser and sprocket, remove the LH camshaft. For additional information, refer to Camshaft — LH in this section.
  1. NOTICE: Damage to the camshaft phaser and sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.
    NOTE: Do not remove the Timing Chain Locking Tool at any time during assembly. If the Timing Chain Locking Tool is removed or out of placement, the engine front cover must be removed and the engine must be retimed. For additional information, refer to Timing Drive Components in this section.
    Remove the camshaft phaser and sprocket from the timing chain.
  1. Inspect the front of the camshaft phaser and sprocket for missing or damaged roll pins.
    • If the roll pins are missing or damaged, a new camshaft phaser and sprocket must be installed.
    1. Inspect the rear of the camshaft phaser and sprocket for a deformed or damaged location pin.
      • If the location pin is deformed or damaged, a new camshaft phaser and sprocket must be installed.
      1. Visually inspect the camshaft phaser and sprocket for squareness (A). If the trigger wheel or spring is deformed or damaged (B), install a new camshaft phaser and sprocket.
        Installation
        1. NOTICE: Damage to the camshaft phaser and sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.
          If installing a new camshaft phaser and sprocket, transfer the original scribe mark to the new camshaft phaser and sprocket.
        1. NOTICE: The timing chain must be installed in its original position onto the camshaft phaser and sprocket using the scribed marks, or damage to valves and pistons will result.
          NOTICE: Damage to the camshaft phaser and sprocket assembly will occur if mishandled or used as a lifting or leveraging device.
          Align the scribe marks and position the camshaft phaser and sprocket into the timing chain.
          1. If servicing the RH camshaft phaser and sprocket, install the RH camshaft. For additional information, refer to Camshaft — RH in this section.
          1. If servicing the LH camshaft phaser and sprocket, install the LH camshaft. For additional information, refer to Camshaft — LH in this section.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
          FordTechnician
          Freshman User
          Hope my previous post helps. Just don't mess up the camshaft timing or you can kiss your engine goodbye. Good Luck!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
          Wilber15
          Elder User
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          You don't need to remove the Camshaft. You install a rubber wedge into the front cover to hold the timing chain from falling down, line the crank up to TDC and mark the chain on the camshaft. Gun the bolt off with an impact and change the phasers.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:01 PM
          Steve Bassen
          4wd Low
          Originally Posted by Wilber15
          You don't need to remove the Camshaft. You install a rubber wedge into the front cover to hold the timing chain from falling down, line the crank up to TDC and mark the chain on the camshaft. Gun the bolt off with an impact and change the phasers.
          Ok, bringing this one back...

I've got a new cam phaser kit, and the Rotunda timing wedge tool. Pull valve cover, install wedge, and this is done at TDC. Does anything need to be done to lock the camshafts in place once the phaser is removed? When I did the VANOS on my M3, I had to use cam locking plates to keep them camshafts from rotating once the Vanos (cam phaser) was removed.

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: 5.4 cam phaser