North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Good Transmission Shop Around Fuquay-Varina/Angier/Apex?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Terrible Creek
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Transmission Shop Around Fuquay-Varina/Angier/Apex?

Hi,

I have a 70 F-100 that is dire need of having the front and rear seals of the transmission replaced (C6). There may be other issues, but other than hemmoraging fluid through the weep hole (and a little less through the rear seal) it shifts/runs fine. With a 4-month old in the house I've given up on bumbling through this work on my own.

Can anybody recommend a transmission shop or individual around Fuquay-Varina who could handle this type of work for a fair price? I can start going through the phonebook, but a recommendation would be great.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
last transmission I had rebuilt was done at aamco.
I abused that transmission like there was no tomorrow, and it held up great.

im from lexington nc, so i dont know anything about your area though, sorry.

the next transmission, I will do myself.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to NCFTE. You might try the Clutch,Transmission,Differential,Axle and Transfercase thread. you most likely will get a faster response to your question

Old 02-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Terrible Creek
Freshman User
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll check out that thread.

I have used AAMCO once before, but I had a pretty bad experience. Granted, it was a long time ago and it was a 700R4 transmission, so it may not have been entirely their fault

Old 02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrible Creek
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll check out that thread.

I have used AAMCO once before, but I had a pretty bad experience. Granted, it was a long time ago and it was a 700R4 transmission, so it may not have been entirely their fault
If you can stay away from AAMCO Transmission they are the worst at rebuilding trnasmissions. My sisiter in law had to have her trans rebuilt 6 times then they ended up giving her 4 transmissions after that never had one to work right. Scwid was lucky. everyone I talk to says the same.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:45 AM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
it wasnt that i was lucky....it is because of my attitude when it comes to places like that. I am what you would call a hardball with places like that.

I let them know from the getgo that i would not put up with *****. I did have to take the car back because they stripped a fitting, and got a 2 year warranty out of that for free. it took them a while to find the correct mount too as it is a true 76 cobra, so the parts for it are not mainstream. with those factors, they ended up building it up right, cause i let them know I would have no problem causing them a lot of problems they didnt want. lol.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Terrible Creek
Freshman User
Yeah, I had to hardass them, too, with my 700R4 which at the end of the day meant binding arbitration through the BBB (I got my money back). I'm kind of trying to avoid that due to my time constraints and plus it's an old C6 so I'm hoping there's an individual or small shop somewhere that can just replace the seals and not try to sell me anything else. I had some buddies who have used the Simpkins who run Wake Co. Speedway for their automotive needs, so I might try there.

Thanks again for the suggestions...looking forward to getting this thing shipshape and into a body shop!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Terrible Creek
Freshman User
Update: I didn't really have much luck turning up a small shop or someone who could replace the seals, so I bit the bullet and took it to NC Transmission in downtown F-V. I was there when they started in on it and since the pump seal came off in three pieces I went whole hog and had it rebuilt. Good thing, as the band was nearly worn through. $1400 later at least I don't have to hunt around for Type F transmission fluid anymore.

The shop was clean and they seemed to do good work...came in just a hair below their estimate. Time will tell, though.