Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

What kind of Oil are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:02 PM
'03FordSVT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of Oil are you using?

Im just curious about what kind of oil you Lightning owners are using in our trucks...

Im running......Amsoil 5W-30

Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
I like castrol GTX.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
ace555
Junior User
I've heard Amsoil is good. I personally use Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic in my 01 L. One thing to note whatever you choose it's always good to continue to use that same oil.

Ace

Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
mark49
New User
I'm using Amsoil 0W-30.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Royal Purple

Old 03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ace555
I've heard Amsoil is good. I personally use Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic in my 01 L. One thing to note whatever you choose it's always good to continue to use that same oil.

Ace

Why???

Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
ace555
Junior User
Well I don't know the chemical break down of every oil, but I do know that each and every oil company has different additives in their products. I've also been told all my life by a number of techs that, "When you use 'that' same, good oil for the life of a car or truck, assuming it's what the manufacture calls for, it will out last the other guy looking for monthly deals."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I wouldn't say that it's extremely bad to keep changing oil brands, but I wouldn't recommend it. Find a good oil and stick with it, synthetic or not. <o></o>

Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Well I don't know the chemical break down of every oil, but I do know that each and every oil company has different additives in their products. I've also been told all my life by a number of techs that, "When you use 'that' same, good oil for the life of a car or truck, assuming it's what the manufacture calls for, it will out last the other guy looking for monthly deals."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I wouldn't say that it's extremely bad to keep changing oil brands, but I wouldn't recommend it. Find a good oil and stick with it, synthetic or not. <o></o>

I've read not to mix oils...........in other words not to add a different brand to top off between changes.....but the "damage" this "might" cause has never been substantiated. Besides, NONE of my motors uses a drop between their 3,000 mile changes.

As far as drain and refills, as long as the oil meets the correct specs, changing brands being bad is nothing but an old wives' tale.

ALL my MOD motors (including the Lightning) have had either Motorcraft, Castrol and one time I even stooped as low as Penzoil in the 5-20.

If you want to talk about personal experience with filters........I will NEVER run a Fram again, even if it's the ONLY brand available.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
ace555
Junior User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
I've read not to mix oils...........in other words not to add a different brand to top off between changes.....but the "damage" this "might" cause has never been substantiated. Besides, NONE of my motors uses a drop between their 3,000 mile changes.

As far as drain and refills, as long as the oil meets the correct specs, changing brands being bad is nothing but an old wives' tale.

ALL my MOD motors (including the Lightning) have had either Motorcraft, Castrol and one time I even stooped as low as Penzoil in the 5-20.

If you want to talk about personal experience with filters........I will NEVER run a Fram again, even if it's the ONLY brand available.

Really!?! whats wrong with fram? I'm guessing you use only Motorcraft filters in the L..as do I, but I use fram in all my other family cars..

Also do you suggest running 5w 20 over 5w30 even after the mods? I got the 6lb pulley, exhaust, intake, MAF ect...

Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Really!?! whats wrong with fram? I'm guessing you use only Motorcraft filters in the L..as do I, but I use fram in all my other family cars..

Also do you suggest running 5w 20 over 5w30 even after the mods? I got the 6lb pulley, exhaust, intake, MAF ect...

Waaay back when...... even before the infamous internet oil filter report made its rounds......I did the initial oil change on my '97 Cobra (at 1,200 miles it was actually a tad longer than I normally like) I used Castrol GTX and a Fram filter.

Upon start up, the DOHC motor rattled for a few seconds like it was coming apart. Did this nearly every start up for the next 3,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and was assured it was "normal"...

Next oil change I went to a Bosch or K&N.....don't remember....and the noise never came back.

I stayed with the expensive filters for quite a while till I found the report that listed the WIX, MC, Delco filters all to be fairly equal. The report states how Fram not only has less filter media but a very cheap cardboard anti-drainback valve.............the valve was what was letting the tensioners basically start dry everytime!!!!

As far as the MC 5-20.........I've read that the sheer strength is as strong as any other weight available. And don't quote me, but I think I read it's the same base as 30 weight anyway.

And I have to think that as cheap as Ford is concerning warranty claims, that if they approve a 5-20, it must do the job.

And while our Lightnings definetly have some stress, I think my V10 towing in 120* heat is far more stressed........65,000 miles on various 5-20's and MC filters without a hitch.

How did your Mods affect your L? Ours is for sale but if I don't get a decent price, when the warranty is done it's gonna get modded!!! (bought 2-05, still has 11 months and 10,000 miles left)

Old 03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Looks to be an updated report........the "tough guard" doesn't seem to be as cheap.

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 03-06-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 AM
ace555
Junior User
great link! that answers a lot of questions. I bought my L with everything already done to it, so i can't realy help you out there. But from what I do know, with my mods, it ran a 12.55 on 24" rims- no nos... They even had the slip to prove it at the dealer. Needless to say I had to buy it .

Old 03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
great link! that answers a lot of questions. I bought my L with everything already done to it, so i can't realy help you out there. But from what I do know, with my mods, it ran a 12.55 on 24" rims- no nos... They even had the slip to prove it at the dealer. Needless to say I had to buy it .

Impressive time!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
blackout150
Senior User
I can remember my dad using Quaker state in his E150, he tried switching to Castrol GTX after all the hype they put out. Immediately the engine started running like crap and was all gummed up. Switched back to Q state and after a few oil changes ran decent again. Not knocking Castrol, but there are differences in oil and switching can make a mess.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
All API rated oils have to be compatible with one another. That's one big reason to have standardized testing and certification. The oil companies want it, the auto manufacturer's demand it. They all belong to the API.

As far as sticking with the same brand/weight, it doesn't harm anything to switch but the real reason for the recommendation is IMO, just to form good habits for timely maintenance. So it's good advice.

My own personal experience with changing brands/weights: I had a vehicle that I'd put over 100k miles on using nothing but 15w40 multi-duty (diesel/gasoline) oil. It never used any measurable amount of oil between 5k mi oil changes. I got a wild hair and decided to switch to 10w30. I was a bit anxious at first, but ended up putting another 140k mi on it with no change in oil consumption whatsoever.

Last edited by horsepuller; 03-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: What kind of Oil are you using?