Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Well, I'm tired of winter.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm tired of winter.

Guess we're getting pay back for the easy time of it earlier huh? I guess I still prefer the snow over the -10 temps. But then I don't leave the lot either.

I heard a customer say "It's kind of pretty out here" as she got out of her car. And I was thinking I've been getting pretty in my face at 20 to 30 mph for the last 5 hours...(the thoughts went downhill from there)

Guess Davenport only got about 6 inches, but it all came in sideways. I don't envy anyone that had to drive today. I heard the words wreck and whiteout alot today.

So who fared th worst?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Not here, I had an 8:00 class I had to show up for, took the test and all, and then AFTER the class is mostly done, they decide to close the school. Sad thing is, it really wasn't that bad if you drove with half a brain... I mean, it is winter, and it is Iowa... Heck, we haven't had a real tough winter for over a decade. Must be a lot of drivers geting to be like down south, can't handle it when it does the normal stuff... Essentially one month of true Iowa winter, sheesh.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 AM
390fe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Creston got about three inches, but I think it all blew in from Nebraska. And I agree with you guys about people not knowing how to drive in this stuff. If they don't do anything else right, just slow down!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Got enough here to cover the fields again (the earlier stuff had either melted off or blown away), but I was able to wait it out in the house. Yesterday and today I dug myself out. Figure there's about 4 inches worth on the ground... dry, powdery stuff, which is'nt real bad. I don't mind the snow as much as the wind and cold temps. The sun helps some, but only just. I've been ready for spring since the last time it was spring... which was about 6 weeks ago, really.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 PM
IowaTower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

woo hoo! Gotta love that White Gold!

Gotta love them 4WDs and AWDs. Little Secret that noone seems to know: 4 powered wheels get ya goin' REAL GOOD, but don't do a damn thing to get ya stopped. Or keep you on the road. Or get ya outta the ditch you done plowed yourself into cuz you got ya 4WD to get ya down the ice-covered interstate at 90mph.

It's slowing down, though. Idjits and rabbits: first snow always culls the herd.

We need another couple inches. Sunday night would be good.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IowaTower

We need another couple inches. Sunday night would be good.
hey watch that wishing for snow on sunday night stuff, I start my week on sunday night.If you don't like me just say so don't wish that on me

Seriously I didn't think this last round was all that bad although I did get Wendsday off because I meet a relay driver out fo Anderson Indiana, well he was snowed into his driveway (4ft drift behind his van into the road) so called dispatch and they didn't have anyone to bring me the trailer so told me to just stay at home, well called later in the day and they ended up with over 50 loads still backed up against the dock unable to move, I guess the indianapolis area had upto like 11ft drifts in the road and the roads around that area were totally impassable.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
69 and 85
Elder User
Rob, you're my idol. You have more $$ in your engine mods than I have in my whole "beater collection". Probably more than my last collection too! lol Once I am responsible for about 4 less mouths and my wife's career takes off... she has agreed that I can spend $$ on a mud runner or (her choice) a muscle car restore.

Last edited by 69 and 85; 02-16-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:11 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW did I tell you that after this year I am building a completely new engine? this one just ain't enough, need 4 digit hp levels NA and that motor might end up costing more than my house.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
I'm definitely ready for spring after this weekend... lost power Saturday at 2:25, still not restored, might get it today, if they can get their hands on some poles. Lost 50 or more on our main transmission lines... finally found a generator Monday morning, so last night was a bit warmer. Phone systems are down, so I had to do this while at college... computers are low on the power priority right now. Spent Saturday preparing for long term loss of water service, amazing how much water can be caught from roof lines...

Old 02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
chris b
New User
lost power on saterday about noon came back on monday about 2:00 pm, still alot of people around oxford with out power and will be for awile.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
FarmForward
Postmaster
I did'nt get hit too bad with the weather end of the weekend, really... got sleet and slush on Saturday, but pretty much all gone by Sunday and warmed up some then. Never lost power anytime during the weekend. But, on Monday morning, around 9am, electricity went out and stayed out for around 4 hours. Not much to do but sit around. To keep busy, I cleaned my house.

The horror... the horror...

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
SilverBeast
New User
I didn't lose power, but a huge branch landed on the tail-gate of my truck and caved in the top of my Dad's van. Guess that's why we pay insurance every month, for stuff like that.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
390fe
Fleet Mechanic
We'ev been pretty lucky in southwest Iowa (knocking on wood). Just a bit of slushy snow. Hope all you guys come out of this without a lot of damage.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Got power back this afternoon. No real damage other than to the trees. That and the pocketbook for supplies and the generator, but the generator will get used now that we have one.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
390fe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by fellro86
Got power back this afternoon. No real damage other than to the trees. That and the pocketbook for supplies and the generator, but the generator will get used now that we have one.
What brand generator did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: Well, I'm tired of winter.