Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Remind me why I like Ford...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:12 AM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remind me why I like Ford...

Ok,

So i started to look at the Chevy and Dodge fullsize lines and comparing them to the Fords.

I can't speak for long term build quality or durability, but from the just the specs, ford seems a little behind... especially since they just completely re-did their Superduty's for '08, you thought they would be ahead...

The biggest issue for me is side-curtain airbags... (maybe I'm a little biased because they saved my dad's life) but still IMHO, Ford really dropped the ball on this one. The dodge's and GMC's got 'em, and Ford should have put them in when the redesigned...

The dodges also come with a factory option remote start, AND the cummins diesel.

I love Ford and its the only truck I've driven, but seriously, I'm beginning to question my loyalty, especially with the airbag thing...

Somebody please remind me why I like the Fords so much. Sure, IMHO they look the best, but I'm just trying to think safety too

I'm not bashing Ford (or anyone for that matter) but some objective info would be great) Yeah, its a ford forum, so it will be biased, but hey, thats fine with me, I LOVE my ford Excursion

Thanks!

Isaac

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
good for you, you shoudl know that ford can still out pull all of them,

Old 02-11-2007, 11:18 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is all well and good...if that's what he cares about. He blantantly said safety...which the Ford is definetly lagging behind in, along with many other things.

There are a lot more Dodge work trucks around here now...and it's not too difficult to see why.

All we can do is hope for a redesign to catch up with the others, they're quite behind now.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Americanmadeford
Senior User
If airbags saved your father's life and you can't have peace of mind with out them, then don't buy a Ford. I can see why you would want to have the side curtain airbags.

However, I, like probably the majority of buyers, (evident by Fords lack of standard side curtain air bags in a lot of their cars) don't car. The only safety feature I like to have is ABS, and even that isn't a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Safety is a legitmate concern. I love the cummins engine that Dodge uses as well as Ford and GM in their bigger truck lines. The problem with Dodge was that everything else is light duty when compared to Ford or General Motors in their heavy duty work trucks. To the best of my knowledge, 12,000lbs GVW was the biggest Dodge you could buy until now. If I was looking for a new truck, I would look long and hard at what Dodge has to offer with their 4500 and 5500 series out. Of course this being the first year for them you might want to hold back a year or two and let them work out the inevitable bugs that they will have. As for the cummins engine, I wish they'd stayed with the 5.9. It truely had stood the test of time, but I know they had to go with more cubic inches to get the power with the ever more stricter emissions controls. Not that I would do this, I have seen people swap both duramax's and powerstrokes for the 5.9. I've never seen anyone put a powerstroke in a Dodge, or a GM. Nor have I ever seen a Duramax in a Ford or a Dodge.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
the ram 4500 and 5500s mhhmmm I have seen them plenty of pictures theres a ton of comercial fords, dodges want in, bottom line Ford is Superduty, set the maximum load. dodge coudl take it they all get abused, but one one gets used more, for the Tough stuff

Old 02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
NickFordMan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by afreemanmd
Ok,

So i started to look at the Chevy and Dodge fullsize lines and comparing them to the Fords.

I can't speak for long term build quality or durability, but from the just the specs, ford seems a little behind... especially since they just completely re-did their Superduty's for '08, you thought they would be ahead...

The biggest issue for me is side-curtain airbags... (maybe I'm a little biased because they saved my dad's life) but still IMHO, Ford really dropped the ball on this one. The dodge's and GMC's got 'em, and Ford should have put them in when the redesigned...

The dodges also come with a factory option remote start, AND the cummins diesel.

I love Ford and its the only truck I've driven, but seriously, I'm beginning to question my loyalty, especially with the airbag thing...

Somebody please remind me why I like the Fords so much. Sure, IMHO they look the best, but I'm just trying to think safety too

I'm not bashing Ford (or anyone for that matter) but some objective info would be great) Yeah, its a ford forum, so it will be biased, but hey, thats fine with me, I LOVE my ford Excursion

Thanks!

Isaac
Don't go taking this as anything substantial...but as far as I can tell, the SD is built much stronger than the other trucks, sturdier, with more girth. Just because there is an absense of airbags doesn't mean they aren't as safe. I'll try and find some safety tests to comapre between the bunch. I may be completely wrong, but i'll see if I can prove myself right.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by 93RangerXL4x2
dodge coudl take it they all get abused, but one one gets used more, for the Tough stuff
Are you for real?

The 4500 and 5500 just debuted last week. I doubt you've even seen one yet let alone one that has fallen apart due to tough work and abuse.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Americanmadeford

However, I, like probably the majority of buyers, (evident by Fords lack of standard side curtain air bags in a lot of their cars) don't car. The only safety feature I like to have is ABS, and even that isn't a deal breaker for me.
I would have to agree. I couldn't care less if my vehicle had any airbags. Just need seatbelts to satisfy me. Nor would I really care if my superduty didn't have ABS. The only time I needed the ABS, it didn't do anything, and that tree stopped me faster anyway. Always seems to pulse when I don't need it though.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt look at anything but a Ford for a work truck. What people see in Dodges is beyond me. Cummins maybe I dont know. Stick with Ford you wont go wrong. Theres one reason Ford outsells Dodge there just better overall truck.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:24 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
yeah,

I still think ford makes an excellent truck, and IMHO, it looks the best, and based on the specifications, it can hands-down out-tow any other truck.

But, around Dallas/Fort Worth, where I live, It may just be me, but it seems like there are a lot more dodges than there used to be, but that may just be becase I'm paying attention now. There have always been TONS of Fords. By the way, at least in my case, what I'm talking about wouldn't be a work truck, just a daily driver, with recreational towing.

But here is some interesting stuff to consider:

On Dodge's website, in '06 the Ram did seem to get some pretty good reviews:
•Truckin' Truck of the Year
•Peterson's 4-Wheel Off Road 4x4 of the year
•IntelliChoice best overal value - full size pickup

But ford's not doing to shabby either:
(I couldn't find exactly what they were)
•Best use of technology in a production pickup
•Truck of Texas
Its gotten several awards, and it hasn't even come out yet!

I'm not bashing Ford at all, I just wish they would have put some more time, money, and thought into passenger safety/airbags when they re-did an otherwise excellent truck.

Just something to gnaw on

Thanks for all the replies!

Isaac

Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Musclecar_Fan
Are you for real?

The 4500 and 5500 just debuted last week. I doubt you've even seen one yet let alone one that has fallen apart due to tough work and abuse.
yeah and Ford had for years. Now they got a 450 with bed. I proborly never well see a Dodge 4500/5500 lol but I well see about 20+ 450/550s a day

Old 02-13-2007, 08:48 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Oh yeah? Well I just got done driving our GMC 8500, which totally PWNs every little thing that Ford has so it must be the toughest truck in like the whole world!!!!1111oneoneone It has to, it says 8500 on the side!

All the while my 2000 5.4 with 84K is in the shop getting new head gaskets because a design flaw with the intake gasket caused it to leak coolant into the intake and subsequently blow the headgaskets from rust and overpressure. Remind me why I like Ford again. Reliability what?

Mike

Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
yes Fords got one to compete, as for your 2000 with a problem at only 84,000 is nothing to complain to me about it, I just recently put all new brakes, drive shaft, i hit a pile of wood so its dented, the batterys from 1998, and its has 223,700 kms its had no problems to over strees about, its a 400,000 bond truck.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Around 1500-2000 dollars worth of engine work before 100K miles? That's rediculous. If that's considered normal for a Ford, count me out. It also needs some new ball joints and the power door locks are worn out.

Those last two aren't really that big of a deal, but all within around 5-10K miles combined with the engine work isn't acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

Quick Reply: Remind me why I like Ford...