1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Please help! '99 Ranger 2wd 3.0v6 runs rough. Codes: P0340 P1000 P1309

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Xdrive
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help! '99 Ranger 2wd 3.0v6 runs rough. Codes: P0340 P1000 P1309

Hello, everyone.

I'm having a problem and I don't know where to start. This morning when I started my truck, the check-engine light came on and it was idling kind of rough - like if a plug was dead or something. I had Advanced Auto run the code checker on it, and the computer gave the following codes:

P0340
Camshaft Position
Sensor A - Bank 1
Circuit Malfunction

P1000
OBD Systems
Readiness Test
Not Complete

P1309
Misfire Monitor
Hardware
Malfunction

I've since disconnected the battery (for resetting the computer), and the check engine light came on again as well as the rough idling. So it appears as though it's not a fluke.

So what does this mean and where do I start for fixing it? Is my truck in danger if I drive it too long like this? I ask because it's my only vehicle and I have to use it for school and work.

I really appreciate your time and help.

Last edited by Xdrive; 02-10-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would stop driving it and check the camshaft position sensor to see if it has broken. If the sensor is busted, you don't want to ruin the synchronizer by driving it like that. Something is wrong in there, no doubt. Both the 340 and 1309 codes tell you that.

Comprehensive thread on the subject here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...placement.html

Last edited by Rockledge; 02-10-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Xdrive
Freshman User
Thanks for the quick reply and the help.

I still can't seem to find it on my engine. I'm looking behind the intake manifold, and the only thing I can see is something that has a green and a red wire going into it (located directly behind the small box that all the plug wires go into). But it doesn't look like what's in the picture in that other thread.

Am I looking in the right place?

Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
I can tell you from experience the synchronizer will go bad before the sensor does, as it has no moving parts.

The bearing in the synchro tends to go bad and try to sieze up... usually starts as a squealing noise (like a worn belt) and eventually can burn it up completely.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Xdrive
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
I can tell you from experience the synchronizer will go bad before the sensor does, as it has no moving parts.

The bearing in the synchro tends to go bad and try to sieze up... usually starts as a squealing noise (like a worn belt) and eventually can burn it up completely.

Good luck
I've been hearing a squeeling sound for about a week now, and I just assumed it must have been my belt (because by belt usually gives me a fit). So given that, is it a safe bet that it's my synchronizer instead of my sensor?

And then what would you recommend? If this is going to be a big job, I'd just as well go to the dealer and fork out the cash to get it done. Is that reasonable?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:58 PM
MazdaRangerGuyInSTL
Elder User
Run the truck until it's warmed up and it's squealing.. then remove the belt and start it up.. if it still squeals then it's probably the synchro.. if it stop squealing then it's the belt or a pulley.

The synchro is not a major repair by no means.. just a bit of a pain to get to. It's at the back of the engine on the passenger side. It's held in with one bolt (10mm head I believe.. may be 13mm) and installs just like a distributor. As a matter of fact it installs where the distributor used to on older models.

You have to remove the cam sensor from the top of it (two small bolts.. 5.5mm i think) and mark the position of the "rotor" against the housing... and ALSO mark the position of the housing against the engine. Transfer your marks to the new synchro in the same exact locations.

This is CRITICAL because the new synchro has to be installed in the SAME EXACT position as the old one. While they are adjustable like distributors, if it is out of adjustment it will cause poor running and a check engine light. You have about a 2 degree margin of error.

Good luck