2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

EL from Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:23 PM
xr7390GT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EL from Excursion

Any former Excursion owners switch to the EL? I don't see many on the road in Detroit area. I do see alot of SUbs and Yukon XLs. I like the newer safety features on EL but not ready to give up on the Excursion for a long time. It may be that the people who bought Excursions have different needs than Expedition buyers.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
nckracer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7390GT
Any former Excursion owners switch to the EL? I don't see many on the road in Detroit area. I do see alot of SUbs and Yukon XLs. I like the newer safety features on EL but not ready to give up on the Excursion for a long time. It may be that the people who bought Excursions have different needs than Expedition buyers.
I had an '00 Excursion, I can tell you the ride quality is much better in the EL vs. the Excursion. Interior roominess seems to be roughly the same. The EL has many more available features and options than was ever offered on the Excursion. The biggest thing I miss on the Excursion is the diesel engine, the EL will never come close to the power(torque) the PSD put out. I always remember having to take out the third seat in the Excursion for additional room, you don't have to in the EL (folds into floor), that feature alone was worth going to the EL.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:02 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
I'm hoping by the end of the Summer I will have one.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have the excursion, but I turned it into a work vehicle and bought my wife the EL as a replacement. I really like the EL, plenty of room, loads of features, great ride and handling for a vehicle like this. Power is a little slim, but it gets around fine and I won't be towing anything with the EL. And I agree about the folding rear seats, that is awesome.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:22 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
I think after prices I heard today on a few SUV's that I was interested I think I will hold off and not think of a new one. For like 10 years. My 03 is worth a lot more then what I was offerd today.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
08LTDEL
New User
EL vs Excursion

I recently traded my 03 Excursion limited with 135k on it for an Expedition EL limited. Amazing difference! The Excursion drove like a truck, while the Expedition is like a luxury car. Great handling, quiet, smooooth ride and all of the creature comforts. I am also in Detroit and ended up finding one with all of the bells and whistles West of Lansing at Vollman Ford. There is an amazing difference parking and driving. If you like the feel of the F-250 stick with your Excursion, if you want to feel like you are driving a Lincoln, go for the Expedition. All of the Yukon and Sub guys really check out this vehicle as I go by. The power fold 3rd row is huge.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm currently having the dilemma of wanting to go to the EL but loving my Excursion.

I rented an EB EL a week or so ago and got hooked.

The ride comfort is amazing and while the cargo area is a bit down on space comparatively, it is more functional with the divider/shelf thing plus, as mentioned, the superior power-fold seats.

Speaking of seats that is the #1 reason why I want to switch. The front seats in the Excursion are okay, the second row shows less engineering & thought and the third row seems like an afterthought. Meanwhile the Expy was well thought out and is undoubtedly safer for the passengers with its three-row side air curtains. headrests in the third row and 3-point belts in ALL locations.

While I love the torque of my V10 and the overall "presence" of my Excursion, I think I'm gonna be an EL guy here in a few days... nebmike (another convert) sent me this PM when I asked him the same question of switching over.

I'm like you though, I figured the tranny combined with a 2k lighter truck would about even out the pulling power. If all else fails, I had such a good experience with regearing my X, that I wouldnt hesitate doing it on the EL. The EL is almost 3 seconds faster 0-60 than my X was, so I'm hoping thats a good sign.

I do miss some of the space I had in the X. I carry quite a bit of equipment behind the 3rd seat (tools, Hi-Lift, etc.) and I actually had a little space left over... no so in the EL. My stuff is pretty well crammed in. My only other real complaint is in the design of the "floor" with the seats folded. In the X, I had a nice flat surface wall-to-wall with the second seat folded, which worked really well for my dogs. I don't have that in the EL. I prefer to leave the 3rd seat up to help keep all my "stuff" in place should I crash. With the 3rd up and 2nd down there is no flat surface for the dogs, and with both down its flat, but there is about an 8" gap between the two (which would seem to have been an easy fix for Ford).

Provided its got enough power to pull my camper ok in the mountains, I think the thing I'll miss most is the off-road capability. I'm not real thrilled with the traction control feature in place of a limited slip, and the wheel travel is obviously way limited on the EL compared to solid axles and leaf springs on the X. I'm prolly gonna do a 2" lift just to add a bit of ground clearance.

My EL came with the skid plate package which, in my opinion, is nothing more than for looks. Two are very thin metal (quite flimsy to the touch) and the fuel tank "skid" is just plastic (no option for metal).

The EL has the X hands-down for creature comforts and maneuverability (way tighter turning radius). My only other real interior gripe is in not having the ability to manually control where the rear air comes out (floor or ceiling). Ride is fairly firm compared to a lot of new grocery-store SUV's (which is a plus in my book).

I'm averaging about 20mpg at 75mph (unless there's wind) and about 21.5 at 65mph... thats hand calculated but the lie-o-meter is pretty close too. In cross or head winds it'll drop to around 17-18ish. Running right at 16mph average around town. So thats quite the nice improvement over the X.

I guess my final comment would be about the tires. Mine came with the 18" upgrade and Pirelli Scorpion STR-A tires which are just a standard load tire. My concern was that they felt pretty mushy just with the truck unloaded -- I was a little worried about how they'd do towing. I calculated my weights and I came in a few hundred pounds below the tire limits, but I still opted for switching to a better set of all-terrain tires earlier this week. Its like night and day difference in handling, so I'm hoping the swap will be that much better for towing too.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
SixPak
Junior User
I really enjoy my EX EL.

I was looking to buy an Excursion when I bought the EL, but since Ford discontinued the Excursion my only option was a used one, or the Expy.

So far my only complaint is the wheels. The chrome clads (part of the EB package) are obnoxious IMO, nothing more than a glued on, chrome plated, plastic POS. I tried to get the dealer to take them off at purchase time, but no cigar. I'm betting if it became a deal breaker they would have, but the ole' lady liked 'em, so I didn't go down that raod.

Other than that I'm very pleased. 15.4 mpg around town.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:10 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
I am considering trading in my 2 SUV's for an EL if it can tow my 31 TT safely and it can get over 18 mpg on the highway (Ex gets 15 EXp gets 23). I have been searching the forums and I hear some that do recommend it and others that don't. I want to be sure before spending that type of money so maybe one day I can talk a dealership into an extended drive and take it home and hook it up and see for myself. The main problem will be no brake controller so that will be BIG problem.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
chuck s
Elder User
No brake controller is no problem at all. Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 plugs in under dash.

-- Chuck

Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
xr7390GT
Junior User
Finally should reply since I started this. Overall sounds like a good truck. Encouraged by the mileage on the highway. With the ULSD my 7.3l struggles to get 18 mpg at 75 mph only in the best conditions. There was a posting on this forum about a 4.4 L diesel in an Expy mule, but with fuel prices what's the use. Ford's offerings these days don't impress me. I only visit my dealer because they discount my parts purchases.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:33 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
I thought the 7.3L diesels get 22-23 mpg on the highway? Is it the ULSD that compromises its efficiency? LAst night I got 16.1 mpg coming home from work with the V-10 but I had the cruise set at 60 mph on the expressway.
Early this season I ended up towing my buddies boat with my Ex that I pulled with my Explorer last year and I shy to say I was disappointed. I honestly think the towing prowess of the Ex is slightly overrated in the V-10. Don't get me wrong it is a large, roomy and stable SUV but it weighs so much more (2600 lbs scaled) but doesn't have enough power to move the towed weight as smartly as I am used to with the more nimble Expl. I can only guess the Expedition would be the perfect compromise for me with its lighter weight, smaller size, more power (than the Expl) and more efficient trans. The 6 sp in my Expl shifts with more firmness than the Ex and with its extra 2 gears it always is in the optimal rpm range. I almost find myself forcing downshifts in teh Ex or feathering the throttle to force upshifts. I have been able to get 25-25 mpg with the Explorer by setting the cruise at a lower speed (60-65 mph).

Finally should reply since I started this. Overall sounds like a good truck. Encouraged by the mileage on the highway. With the ULSD my 7.3l struggles to get 18 mpg at 75 mph only in the best conditions. There was a posting on this forum about a 4.4 L diesel in an Expy mule, but with fuel prices what's the use. Ford's offerings these days don't impress me. I only visit my dealer because they discount my parts purchases.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:00 AM
xr7390GT
Junior User
If I drive 60 at a steady clip 21 is possible, but I'm talking about 75 give +/- on interstate. My old V-10 would get near 14 sometimes at the same speeds and similar to what you mention at around 60 mph. I still like the range better with the 7.3l, 650 miles on 3/4 tank.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten the 7.3L and upgraded it with a tuner (probably DP), exhaust, and intake and probably would have enjoyed the increased power and economy. But who knows maybe I would still be looking for alternatives. My combo pulls the 9K trailer good enough to hold 65-70 from Chicago to Key West through the hills (with downshifts) but I would like to have more oomph plus better economy. The best I have seen is 9 at low 60's mph flat road, bring in the hills and it goes to 6-8 mpg.

If I drive 60 at a steady clip 21 is possible, but I'm talking about 75 give +/- on interstate. My old V-10 would get near 14 sometimes at the same speeds and similar to what you mention at around 60 mph. I still like the range better with the 7.3l, 650 miles on 3/4 tank.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 AM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
I'm new here but I thought I would reply to this subject. I used to have an 01 Excursion and now have an 07 Expedition EL and I will say that part of me REALLY wants an Excursion again. The trans is horrible in the EL. But I will say the quality (except for trans) in the EL is awesome, the ride is so smooth, the seating is rather comfortable and I love the safety features. That is one thing that is holding me back from buying the Excursion again. I am tall and I never felt like I would have the correct neck support in the Excursion especially in the rear seats. I used to have an 03 Expy and that was a POS...

Also in my Excursion (V10) I got 14-15 MPG mostly city and the EL gets a lousy 11.6 city.

Quick Reply: EL from Excursion