New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Places on LI to drive off-road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:57 AM
wanderinginNY
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places on LI to drive off-road?

I bought a truck with 4 wheel drive, and probably should test it out before the warranty expires. Is there anywhere I can drive off road to make sure it works?

I took a ride out Ocean parkway (beach?) but all off-road entrances are blocked Jan 1-Mar31.

Other Idea(r)s?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Hopefully JD, Jason, fast frank, or one of other LI members will chime in for you as I don't know what is available on LI. You could always find a dirt road to see if it is working. Heck even a wet lawn. You would just want some surface that will give a little otherwise you will bind the 4x4 system.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
fast frank 66
Senior User
your best bet is wait and get a beach permit. i don't know all the details, but you're required to have a few things in the truck, like a shovel, a high lift jack and a fishing pole for everyone in the truck. don't expect to be jumping any dunes or drag racing though.
http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/webtemp3.cfm?dept=10&id=804

there are no legal off road places on the island that i know of. when me and my friend first bought our atvs, we were real anxious to go riding. we heard a few guys talking about a place off of william floyd parkway so we headed out there. long story short, we ended up getting both quads impounded and a combined 7 tickets.

a bunch of my friends just took a day trip to paragon off road park. they said it was the most fun they've ever had off road, and it was completely legal.

Last edited by fast frank 66; 01-19-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
I far as I know you have to wait for the beach!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Ranger73
Senior User
you can try 1 of the fields or eaches in Lido/Point Lookout.They dont provide much terrain but it sure aint black top. there is one place though.If you know point lookout PM me and ill tell u about it. If you dont know point lookout ill just cinfuse u.

any questions just pm me.