Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

Crashed the Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed the Ranger

All the commuting caught up with me today. I spun out and hit the center concrete barrier crossing the MO river from Sioux City into Nebraska this morning. I had just come up the ramp and started to accelerate when I went into a spin.

Here is the link to the guys I've been chatting with in the Ranger forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...he-ranger.html

Kinda bummed out now, if the truck is fixable, I know it will never be the same.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
taisa899
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man that sucks! But at least you're ok for the most part!

jim

Old 01-16-2007, 04:29 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Confuscious say, Karma manifest self in mysterious way. Sign you need Super Duty Diesel.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Damn that sucks Rob. Glad to see you're OK though!!! I know what you mean about having a dry highway and then finding out there's a bit of black ice there. It's happened to me - but I was able to keep it between the white lines on a two lane blacktop in BFE (actually it was on my way to school ).

Hope everything gets straightened out for you!!!
-Jake

Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, there are plenty of ways that could have been worse... at least it was not you posting from the hospital...

Old 01-17-2007, 02:59 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Thanks guys.... I like your thinking TwelveAlpha! I had dreams last night about a King Ranch edition!

I am really fortunate I didn't become a hockey puck for all the semi's that travel that route.

Looked the truck over today, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I hope to talk to the estimator after work today and get his honest opinion. I shot a few pictures and will try and get them loaded tonight.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did SD law enforcement or Nebraska law write the accident report?

Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Got some new pictures loaded to my gallery....

Actually it was a Sioux City, Iowa cop that wrote the report. I was just getting onto Hwy 20/77 heading west into Nebraska when I hit the ice.

Dakota County, NE was the first law enforcement to arrive, then it was either a Woodbury county sheriff or an Iowa Highway Patrolman... finally the Sioux City Police got there and took the report. I was starting to feel a little un-wanted by that point!
The city cop told me it gets a little confusing with several juristictions all coming together. We had to wait over an hour for a tow, since the Sioux City cop was only allowed to request a Sioux City, IA wrecker company. Even though a South Sioux, Nebraska towing company could have come within minutes. Pretty annoying if you ask me. All the while, we have the left lane of a busy highway tied up, since we were on the bridge there was nowhere to get off the road.

Not to be bashing Nebraska, well ok, I am... there probably is an "accident tax" or something if I had crashed after crossing the border!

And to add insult to injury, the only rental car Enterprise had for me was a minivan.... at least it is a Ford. They are supposed to call me when they get a truck in, since that is what my insurance rep reserved for me. They tried to give me a full-size Chevy cargo van, like that is real practical for commuting to work in!

Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 PM
jseim44
Posting Guru
Well Rob - after looking at the pictures I've got to say it isn't as bad as the picture I got just off your description. It isn't good either, though. All that stuff adds up in a hurry. Hopefully you come out good on insurance. My dad got rear ended last spring in the 97 and the other party's insurance tried to screw him around......that didn't last too long. You've just got to be a hard nose sometimes!!!!! Good luck!!!!

-Jake

Old 01-18-2007, 10:14 AM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you are OK but sorry that your new truck was damaged.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Hey at least you didnt file it under your "previous trucks" section yet. :-)
That doesn't look terrible, but I agree, its all the stuff that isnt immediately obvious that makes the bill go higher and higher. Whatever happens, here's hoping you are still smiling when it's all said and done.
I spoke to the tea leaves last night. They said there's an 03 with a 7.3 in it out there with your name on it. What, me, biased? Naaaaaaaa

Old 01-18-2007, 01:30 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Just got back from the body shop, they are at $5500 in damage and counting. The scary part is they are estimating 14 hours of labor for frame repairs.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Hey Rob, that sucks about the Ranger, glad your okay though! Hey,I think Randal is on to something!! You'd look good in a Super Duty Bud! Hopefully, they can get the truck back to new, or as close as possible. Just another reason to hate winter!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
They've started the rebuild on my poor little Ranger. The current estimate now sits at $6800.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
I just came across this thread sorry to hear about the Ranger. What time was your wreck? I cross that bridge every day just before 8:00 and I dont remember seeing it.

Quick Reply: Crashed the Ranger