Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mirror disassembly for LED mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting another converter box sent to me from JC Whitney. I'm not getting any voltage on the output on the right side, I've got good voltage going in. I'll get back when everything is in.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know (PM is fine) if you run into any other snags (I'd also be curious to know how you wired things, if you feel like typing that much ).

Old 01-16-2007, 08:21 PM
ssnh
Senior User
anyone from the south want to trade me your heated mirrors for my plain mirrors, please?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:50 PM
JPLTrucking
Junior User
Originally Posted by indebt
this is alot like when I use to modify my rice burner with side markers. When I did it all I did was run the leads to the front turn signals also and running them the opposite, achieving the same thing without buying the extra deal you did, by wiring to the running light they served as running side markers, and then running the other lead to the blinker they would blink opposite of the stock turn signals, they would get ground when blinkers were on and in turn blink opposite
Can you give me a little better wiring schematic? I guess I'm getting lost when you said "running them the opposite". Do you mean that after you make the initial connection of the positive wire to the brown wire for running lights, you run a wire from the turn signal positive to the mirror light negative? Just a little slow on the upkeep here i guess...

Old 01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Spamjohnson
Senior User
Mirrors

Originally Posted by 2002f2507.3LPS
where did you get those circular merrors?
C-betr mirrors, they are pretty handy, do a search and find a FTE vendor.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
www.c-betr.com

Originally Posted by 2002f2507.3LPS
where did you get those circular merrors?
Here is the link to the little round mirrors. I tow a 31 foot fiver behind me and it is great for watching my back tires on turns and the tires on the trailer on turns..I HIGHLY recommend them...

www.c-betr.com

Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
JPLTrucking
Junior User
Well I installed my mirror lights today. Came out great. I really like how they look. Thanks for everyones help. On to the next mod.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:26 PM
mfwhite22
Freshman User
I know this is an old thread but couldn't you just tap into the mirror wire harness to add the turn signal? I have an 04 EB that had the non-towing mirrors with the turn signal that I replaced with standard tow mirrors with no lights. I would think I would just have to ID the wire in that group and then hook up the new light and be off to the races, right? Or did I miss something?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:05 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
This is such an old thread... I completely missed it when it was going on.

Hey Chris... I really like that image of you in that mirror cover, but you sure have gained weight since then, haven't you, and I never noticed before how short your legs are!

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by F250_
This is such an old thread... I completely missed it when it was going on.

Hey Chris... I really like that image of you in that mirror cover, but you sure have gained weight since then, haven't you, and I never noticed before how short your legs are!
LOL! I seem to have that fun-house mirror thing happening in that pic don't I?! If my legs where that short in real life, I'd be a tripod!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I knew I would be inviting some type of "braggart" response from you on that note, but you have to admit that even a tripod with legs that short isn't much to brag about!

Sorry, Chris, but I just couldn't resist.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250_
I knew I would be inviting some type of "braggart" response from you on that note, but you have to admit that even a tripod with legs that short isn't much to brag about!

Sorry, Chris, but I just couldn't resist.
Now thats funny right thar, I don't care who you are.

Last edited by bdrummonds; 10-30-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mfwhite22
I know this is an old thread but couldn't you just tap into the mirror wire harness to add the turn signal? I have an 04 EB that had the non-towing mirrors with the turn signal that I replaced with standard tow mirrors with no lights. I would think I would just have to ID the wire in that group and then hook up the new light and be off to the races, right? Or did I miss something?
the short answer is yes, I've done it to almost all my rice rockets in the past!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
reddogracing
Tuned
Dont know if any of you are still around. I am wanting to mod my mirrors, but not this way. I want to shorten the mirrors and narrow my truck 6 inches.

So while yo uhad your mirrors apart, do you recall seeing a way to shorten the telescopic tubes?

I have not figured out how to pop the mirror lens off yet. If i can take it aprt and shorten them, and still have the ability to extend them , they would be perfect for me.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:06 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Rebirth of an old thread...

Originally Posted by indebt
this is alot like when I use to modify my rice burner with side markers. When I did it all I did was run the leads to the front turn signals also and running them the opposite, achieving the same thing without buying the extra deal you did, by wiring to the running light they served as running side markers, and then running the other lead to the blinker they would blink opposite of the stock turn signals, they would get ground when blinkers were on and in turn blink opposite

This definitely like a simpler way of wiring things. Just to make sure I have some of it correct. First off, it seems like the front turn signal bulb under the headlight might be a single element bulb that burns steady with the running lights and then blinks brighter with the turn signal? I didn't notice that it was a 2 element bulb but I am not certain of this. Also I am confused about what makes them blink opposite of the truck signals? Does the JC Whitney led bulbs have 2 hot wires....one for steady lights and one for blinking lights? Any more input would be greatly appreciated as this looks like a simple mod, except for the wiring through the mirror thing...Dave

Quick Reply: Mirror disassembly for LED mod