Diesel in a WVO/SVO tank...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel in a WVO/SVO tank...

Suppose someone converts their truck to WVO/SVO use. Heated tank, lines, and filter.

One of two scenerios comes up.

A.) The vehicle is lent to someone who is unfamiliar with the system and puts diesel in the wrong tank.

B.) You are far from home and away from your filtering aparatus. Your Diesel tank will not hold enough fuel to get you where you need to go and you're out of WVO/SVO...

The only problem I see is that you have heated diesel fuel in the system...

If the IP can handle 160 deg Farenheit oil, then it can also handle hot diesel fuel...

Is this hazardous?

Is there a problem with running hot diesel fuel?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 AM
flyboyd8
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypotheticle questions are interesting, It is difficult to have an answere to a problem that hasn't happened so, Here is my hypothetical answere to the problem that hasn't happened.

First, if I lent my truck they would run on diesel only!

Second, would you lend a gun to someone that has no experience with firearms?

Remember this is your truck and your money, you do what you want with it.

Now if some one put diesel in the heated tank, (WVO Tank) chances are they didn't run it out so you should still have Veg oil to lube your pump. My Diesel shop, tells me that the only problem with Hot diesel fuel is todays lack of sulfer, that is why it is VERY important to run a Diesel fuel conditioner in your Dino fuel to lube you IP.

Do you believe that the IP directly bolted to a 200*F+ degrees engine setting nicly in the valley of that engine doesn,t get up to 160* in normal Dino fuel or Bio operation. It does come up to operating temp.

My reason for heating my Veg oil fuel to 158+ is so that it's Viscosety is the same as Dino fuel. If our IDI engines had inline Bosch pumps made in the mid 80's and before we wouldn't have to warm our fuel, (other than to prevent it from gelling, Veg or Bio, And Dino)

It might also be worthy to note that in a Powerstroke diesel the fuel gally and the injectors, are in the heads of the motor, under the valve covers. so the injectors, which each is there own pump also operate at Engine temp, with fuel that is at engine temp. Fuel Galley is part of the cast head. As I understand it PS engine do not have return lines to the tank so the back injecters see very hot fuel all the time except at start up of a cold engine.

B Hypothetical question,

Real situation , (July2006)

My yougest Brother and I drive nonstop 840 miles to Chicago pulling my brothers 21' stock trailer. Bryan and I trade off driving between rest stops. We meet a Duramax w/horse trailer at a rest stop just outside of Chicago and trade 30 bales of hay for His Daughter, 1 horse, and a Dog, plus her household items. Some people think we gets a good deal, any way She moved back to NY from Colorado.
Bryan and I drive on the way out like fuel is Free! we don't let no *-$%#&^! Chevy or Dodge DIESEL, pass us without a fight. And we drive 70/75 all the way out . blowing Black smoke and a giggling. I stick the veg tank when we reach Chicago, and realize we used 70 gallons of Veg, have 30 left in 100 gallon tank. Wow we only got 12 miles to gallon of Veg. Sh-t, We were Standing on the Consumtion peddle!!! Yes ,,We were standing on the Consumption peddle (Exspecialy when we say one of those other trucks in the mirror), OK, WOW only 12 miles to Gallon!!! Well good thing we have another 50 gallons in a drum in the front of the Cattle trailer, We transfer 50 Gallons. Now have 80 Gallons of veg and still two (2) full Diesel Tanks on board. Yes I have 3 fuel tanks. We figure the truck and trailer are very close to the same wieght on the way home . But we set the cruise at 65 MPH and set back and enjoy the ride. And just let them other trucks do there thing. Life is Good! we drive all the way home on Veg, I stick the tank again and we used 56 gallons on the way Home, a vallued lesson on consumption peddle is relearned, we got 15 miles to gallon on the way home, Still two nearly full diesel tanks We used just over 1 gallon of dino fuel for our Startup and the purge, startup and purge when Home.

That Doesn't answere your Question Does it!!!

Ok, if I had run out of Veg, or had some other Hypothetical problem, with my veg system. I would have just switched to the diesel tanks and continued on, If I couldn't correct all the Hypothetical problems that didn't occured, I would have still run on Diesel. You see I actualy have two seperate fuel system on my truck. Yes because of 2 systems I have more maintanance to preform.

Hypotheticaly, I also can stop at Wholesale suppliers to restrants and Buy, (Nasty Word) new clean veg oil in containers and refill my tank to get me home. I could even search for Bio somewere and get home. Or I can just run diesel.

Sorry for the long post,

Ken, In Central NY With the Mighty Pre-94 N/A IDI watched the Odometer turn 200K last night!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Pele
Laughing Gas
The average system doesn't have three tanks. It usually has two, with a small diesel tank and a very large WVO tank.

Resturant supply stores are usually open during business hours on weekdays. Fuel stations and truck stops are open 24/7.

Okay. so scratch the lend truck situation.

There are many situations that can occur that would require filling the heated tank with diesel...

Fuel leak in the diesel system but not the WVO system...
Problem in the switchover valve...

I wouldn't like to be limited to a 15 gallon diesel tank when I have a 40 gallon WVO tank.

I'd just rather not destroy a lift pump or set the fuel in fire or something. But I guess if the temp is regulated at only 160 deg Farenheit, it should be safe.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
flyboyd8
Senior User
OK, so my system isn't average,

Oh Yes, I have also run mineral oil for a fuel w/ the Veg. In the warm tank.

My LARGE tank, being The tank It is,has the same Coolant heated coil in it, that was "Factory installed" in it, when it Started it's first Life as the left tank, On a single axle IH semi truck tractor, that was driven for over 500k Miles with Warmed Dino fuel. That truck is now a single axle Dump. and a Hydralic oil tank is in the place were this tank Started its life. The twn tank to mine is still being used on that truck now. Warming its dino fuel. From it the fuel goes to a Devco, elect. and coolant heated Filter assembly (Installed at the factory). Then in insulated fuel lines on to the motor. Mind you Warm/hot Dino fuel. Many of the over the road trucks in my part of this Rock, run heated fuel tanks and systems.

What ever system you chose to run with, IMHO, The main thing is, that you are happy and comfortible with it. There is nothing wrong with making bio from WVO, there are several very Talented people that Freely Share there knowledge of making and running Bio on this site. I may someday make Bio.

My " non average system" still utilizes the entire diesel system still entact so, If I do have a Filter, valve, fuel line, or other situation, I switch or bypass the problem and still go on my way.

The lift pump on my motor, is the origonal, it has given to Date 200,183.6 miles of trouble free service.

All experamental fuel systems have risks, It doesn't matter if it is Bio, Veg, Mineral Oil, Propain injection, or any other fuel, They all have "Risks" I am comfortable with my level of Risk. It may be to much for another to bare. That does not mean it is bad, It's only more risk than can be acceptable by that indevidual.

Ken, Mighty Pre-94 IDI 7.3 N/A

Old 01-08-2007, 01:59 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
Originally Posted by flyboyd8
OK, so my system isn't average,

Oh Yes, I have also run mineral oil for a fuel w/ the Veg. In the warm tank.

My LARGE tank, being The tank It is,has the same Coolant heated coil in it, that was "Factory installed" in it, when it Started it's first Life as the left tank, On a single axle IH semi truck tractor, that was driven for over 500k Miles with Warmed Dino fuel. That truck is now a single axle Dump. and a Hydralic oil tank is in the place were this tank Started its life. The twn tank to mine is still being used on that truck now. Warming its dino fuel. From it the fuel goes to a Devco, elect. and coolant heated Filter assembly (Installed at the factory). Then in insulated fuel lines on to the motor. Mind you Warm/hot Dino fuel. Many of the over the road trucks in my part of this Rock, run heated fuel tanks and systems.

What ever system you chose to run with, IMHO, The main thing is, that you are happy and comfortible with it. There is nothing wrong with making bio from WVO, there are several very Talented people that Freely Share there knowledge of making and running Bio on this site. I may someday make Bio.

My " non average system" still utilizes the entire diesel system still entact so, If I do have a Filter, valve, fuel line, or other situation, I switch or bypass the problem and still go on my way.

The lift pump on my motor, is the origonal, it has given to Date 200,183.6 miles of trouble free service.

All experamental fuel systems have risks, It doesn't matter if it is Bio, Veg, Mineral Oil, Propain injection, or any other fuel, They all have "Risks" I am comfortable with my level of Risk. It may be to much for another to bare. That does not mean it is bad, It's only more risk than can be acceptable by that indevidual.

Ken, Mighty Pre-94 IDI 7.3 N/A

Ken you said it perfectly. I loved the 1st post you made also in this thread.

Erick

Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Well, my main concern is travelling long distances.

My diesel rig is a tow truck for towing my track car, spare parts, and camping equipment to various race tracks.

And when I convert the little truck (Mazda) to diesel, I will be using a 15-20 gallon tank for WVO and a smaller tank for diesel. (I don't want to sacrifice bed space. They will be going under the bed.) I don't want to be limited to the small tank only if petroleum diesel is the only fuel available.

If hot diesel is not a problem, then I'm happy.