1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs light on - 2001 f350

Old 01-03-2007, 06:58 AM
JTATMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abs light on - 2001 f350

My ABS light keeps coming on in the dash on my 2001 F350,

What do you think the problem is ? I hate to take this to the stealership to get this fixed.

Is it a speed sensor possibily ?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM
deltasoft
Elder User
re:

sounds to me like it.....its usually located ontop of the rear differential.......small tube-like sensor....you can obtain a new one from ford for very cheap....measure with miltimeter though before replacing.

goodluck.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM
JTATMAN
Senior User
When I replace the sensor do I have to remove the negative battery cable when I am done to clear any codes ?
Or do I just change out the sensor ?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

IMHO...ALWAYS disconnect the neg side of the battery when working on electronic components on your SD. After replacing the SSV sensor...make sure the battery has been disconnect for at least 30 minutes with the headlight switch on. This will drain any residual left in the system.

However, it would be nice if you could go to AutoZone (or similiar) and have the code read prior to changing out the SSV sensor. It could be one of the ABS sensors on the front axle (one per side). Just a suggestion...

Good luck...

biz

Old 01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
f250 Rob
Freshman User
If you went to auto zone and get the code for abs i would help you diag it seeing as how i am an abs tech at a ford dealership, but seeing as how you think we steal money from people i will just let you wast your money on trying parts intill you fix it, many dollars later. there is a reson why we charge more, WE HAVE BRAINS, AND WE KNOW EVERY THING ABOUT YOUR TRUCK. I could probably even tell you a couple of things to do to make it run better that would be free, be instead i will let you wait untill it brakes then you will to go teh the stealership.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
deltasoft
Elder User
well i agree with the ford comment...yes ford does over charge people for something very simple to do...anyhow you think being an auto service tech gives you brains????.......think again...thats all i have to say..........and read forum rules!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM
ajordan193
Senior User
just had the same thing happen to me. I replaced the rear sensor and still had the light. Turned out to be the front right wheel sensor. This part is a dealer part only which runs around $140. Have someone test for codes before you go replacing stuff.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
skittlejr
Elder User
Attn: F250 Rob. Yeah, I know plenty of "techs" who are just parts changers too. Some guys, me included, like to work on their own stuff or maybe can't afford the dealership. There is nothing wrong with that. You getting on here and blowing off like a 7th grader about how much you know is uncalled for. If we want to know how to make our trucks run better, we can find out right here.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:37 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
250rob- for being a nugget (new guy) to the site, you could come in a bit more smooth. I just paid $3000 for AAMCO to fix my tranny instead of paying the STEALERSHIP $4500. Same exact work, but Ford thinks because they sell them they can STILL run a monopoly on maintenance. If ya'll remember Ralph Nader put a stop to that a few decades ago (thank you Ralph). SO if you know how to fix it, then great- help out with some info. If you want to brag that you know how to change parts, then take it somewhere else. I can brag that I work on 12 Million dollar aircraft, but there's no need to- I drive a Ford, just like everyone else here. And will do so till I die.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 AM
shoobear
Senior User
Hey my abs light was on also. I pulled the rear sensor,cleaned it and put it back. No more light!!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:11 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Semper Fi, Mongo. I wanted to be in avionics when I joined, but I ended up being a grease monkey in Motor T. That's cool though, my experience got me hired before my EAS into CAT working on diesel engines, and I love it. Also, these forums are great, chock full of so much info. I use the forums at clubchopper.com when I need help with my bike. Thanks to everyone who runs and uses these.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
on my 02 the abs light comes on when the alternator dies. it takes another day or two before the battery light finally comes on. by then you already know your batteries are getting weak on startup. seem stupid to me, but im on my 3rd alt now so i know the drill.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Three alternators in 5 years seems like two too many. I have a 97' 250 with the RABS (rear only abs) and my speedo goes wacky when the roads are wet. It did it a couple of times last year during winter then stopped for months. Now we just got some snow and it is acting up, but worse this time. I cleaned out the terminals on the plug and the sensor. the rubber boot was ok. I guess I'll pull the sensor out, see if it's dirty, and if it looks ok, then i'll just replace it.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
f250 Rob
Freshman User
Unhappy

I am sorry if I offended anyone on this site, You made my point for me, I wont knock anyone down about wanting to work on their own trucks or by going to a shop other then a dealer as long you dont knock down my work by calling it a steelership that has the same blue oval out front of it as your truck has on its grill. I will be more then happy to pull oasis reports or help with problems but i dont like when people like some have alredy done ask me for help or for an oasis report then call it the steelership. Again sorry, did not mean to make any enemies on here.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
i know 3 alternators is too many! the first one went out around 10000 miles, the dealer claimed they had replaced quite a few, the next one went out about 15000 miles later. Makes since because the one they replaced the first one with came out of a new 02 on the lot because I was in a hurry. The next one lasted to 130000 miles when one of my truck drivers used my pickup to jump his mixer truck. I dont know what he did, but the alternator was toast.

anyway all of them caused the abs light to come on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: abs light on - 2001 f350