6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best Cold-Air Intake Brand for 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
tipdog7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed an Airaid over the Christmas break, haven't had a chance to check if it improved performance.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
03POWERSTROKER,

Here's what you get with a AFE Stage II MEGA in PG7. Quicker spool up, lower EGT's, some HP and TQ. Potential MPG increase when combined with exhaust too! For those that say the stock intake is good enough explain this away for me. When I changed my 1st stock filter element at 8000 miles (not the 30,000 miles Ford/Donaldson tell you it's good for) I got 2-3 PSI boost increase. When I changed that one at 6000 miles to an AFE Stage I (all they built at the time) I got an extra 1-2 PSI boost pressure. Plus my EGT's dropped, and because I got PG7 I have no dirt getting by. So now I have 90,000 miles and have not bought a filter since 14,000 miles, ones that cost 45-55.00 each I might add so I am saving costs and providing more clean air and get a nice rush sound when you hammer on it as a bonus. How can I get that increase in boost PSI if the stock filters last so long and flow so well. The stock filter is designed for the stock HP of the truck at best just like the OEM's have always done. The fact that you can make 400+ HP with it doesn't mean it's a "best" part to have it just means it worked around the lower flow and still made good HP.

Mark @ DPPI

Mark @ DPPI
I have personally checked the intake vacuum on that truck, before we dynoed, to make SURE we were getting all available horsepower out of it. There was none, even at that power output level.

I'm a sponsor and have an equal financially vested interest in selling products as much as any of the rest; and granted we carry aftermarket filters too. With that said, I will make my opinion as direct and forthcoming as possible-

Aftermarket filters for the 6.0 are a waste of time, money, and excess dirt. At no power output levels that 99.5% of the general public will ever see are they needed, warranted, or will do any good whatsoever. We have dynoed plenty of trucks and see NO feasible gain on mild to moderately modified trucks, and in my personal experience I have never gotten a mileage increase from one. Simple matter of fact is that not ONE single aftermarket filter that lives up to the filtering efficiency of the Donaldson. The AFE is efficient; the Donaldson is more efficient.

Spend your money and time elsewhere.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
I have personally checked the intake vacuum on that truck, before we dynoed, to make SURE we were getting all available horsepower out of it. There was none, even at that power output level.

I'm a sponsor and have an equal financially vested interest in selling products as much as any of the rest; and granted we carry aftermarket filters too. With that said, I will make my opinion as direct and forthcoming as possible-

Aftermarket filters for the 6.0 are a waste of time, money, and excess dirt. At no power output levels that 99.5% of the general public will ever see are they needed, warranted, or will do any good whatsoever. We have dynoed plenty of trucks and see NO feasible gain on mild to moderately modified trucks, and in my personal experience I have never gotten a mileage increase from one. Simple matter of fact is that not ONE single aftermarket filter that lives up to the filtering efficiency of the Donaldson. The AFE is efficient; the Donaldson is more efficient.

Excellent post Matt!!!!! We need more information like this to keep youngsters from throwing their money away on useless performance mods!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Quote of the day:

Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI:
'and because I got PG7 I have no dirt getting by'

Last edited by Customz; 01-03-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:28 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

Another great post as usual.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
PSD 60L Fx4,

Ok if the test showed no gains can you explain to me how I got 2-3 extra PSI of boost pressure when I replaced the 1st stock Donaldson at 8000 miles to see what would happen with a new Donaldson. And then at 6000 miles on the second Donaldson I replaced it with the AFE Stage I and got 1-2 more PSI again.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark at DPPI
PSD 60L Fx4,

Ok if the test showed no gains can you explain to me how I got 2-3 extra PSI of boost pressure when I replaced the 1st stock Donaldson at 8000 miles to see what would happen with a new Donaldson. And then at 6000 miles on the second Donaldson I replaced it with the AFE Stage I and got 1-2 more PSI again.

Mark @ DPPI
Without knowing the conditions your Donaldsons were seeing, I most certainly cannot explain. For all we know, they were under dust and dirt conditions that most filters do not see. Simple matter of fact is that the Donaldson has more dirt holding capacity than any of the aftermarket filters- if you don't believe me, search this forum for more of these discussions- you will see links to solid independant testing, from people who have no vested interest in selling the product.

As far as the boost gain from the AFE, keep in mind that AFE relocates the Mass Air Flow sensor in the new tube. It is a well known fact that in the first stage two kits this sensor was located wrong and caused issues, to the point of setting the check engine light on some vehicles.

A Mass Air Flow sensor is calibrated to the diameter of the tube of which it is mounted (and likewise the position of the sensor mounting) and increasing the diameter of this tube like AFE does destroys the calibration of the sensor. Given that the tube is bigger, the velocity of the air at a given airflow is less, and the sensor would correspondingly read that there is less airflow than there actually is. The 6.0 uses this reading to determine a calculated Air/Fuel ratio; and correspondingly sets the duty cycle of the turbocharger to match the fuel delivery to obtain the correct calculated A/F. If it thinks it has less than the desired quantity of air, it will increase the turbocharger duty cycle to make up for it- which an increase in duty cycle will always result in an increase in manifold pressure.

This gain in boost pressure is NOT from "filter efficiency" as AFE and others like to claim, but because the truck is out of calibration and commands the boost increase. Until you can provide me with a datalog showing the boost increase at the same VGT duty cycle, I'll be sticking with my original statement.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Matt... great post above... tried to leave some + rep points... but had to pass some around.

What a great post and explanation of why some of the "overboost" issues and why some aftermarket air intakes do not operate well or why there are "just issues" or lack of documented proof.

May need to make your post above a sticky... as it would answer many other people's questions about intakes and their questions about them????

Again... great explanation and I believe very hard for anyone to refute your analysis and understanding... but hey... I am all ears for some to give a rebutal!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
03f350crew
Senior User
Originally Posted by 03POWERSTROKER
What is the best cold-air intake for the 6.0 diesel?
FORD!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 03f350crew
FORD!!!
Yep, the one that came on the truck.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Desert_Dude
Junior User

But they SOUND SOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:17 AM
Shalling84
New User
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech

ok so I'm looking into getting a cold air and going with bigger exhaust for my 07 f350 super duty. What would u recommend for both?

Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
LOL--400hp ain't the limit. The stocker will flow as much air as the stock turbo can use and provide the best protection for your turbo/engine!!
What Tim said. Unless making serious AM power the Donaldson can't be beat.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:18 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup... the factory Donaldson is fine for all but the highest HP levels. I might argue the same for the factory exhaust so long as your cat isn't clogged. Unless you have significant mods, bigger exhaust just seems to add more noise.

Richard

Old 04-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Brad ORourke
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Plus, think of all the neat things you can do with them after you replace them, you could gut them out, stretch some untanned leather across one end to make a set of bongos. Mount a 24” oval piece of glass on one end, stack on top of another, and you have a awesome end table or nightstand. I mean the possibilities are endless! 🤓

Quick Reply: Best Cold-Air Intake Brand for 6.0?