Oil & Lubrication  

The Amsoil Anomaly:

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:38 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's important to keep it all in perspective. If someone wants to spend a little more for what they perceive as a quality product then why not? How much money have we all wasted in our lives that has gone essentially to nothin-all that junk we paid for thats just sittin around the house or shop we havent used in years. Bad investments etc. I guess what Im sayin is that we all have done alot worse things with our money than invest in an expensive oil. At least you get something positive and lasting out of it. Not like those 3 buck coffee's I get at Starbucks that Ive already pee'ed in the john. That being said, I do think that the choice of oil is probably way down on the list of reasons our vehicles get deep six'ed. There are so many other land mines that jump up and get us. To get a vehicle to last 20-30 years you have to do so many things right and have the time to do it that most of us fall short for one reason or another. What does our vehicles in is rarely an oil related failure.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F250-Newbie
Regarding CJ-4 certification... I really don't place exceptionally high stock in certification programs. I do pay some attention to them, but having spent a number of years establishing and maintaining ISO9000 certification in manufacturing, and being a trained auditor for both ISO and EPA regulated certification programs, I know for a fact that being certified only guarantees that you've met some minimum guidelines. There are lots of folks who won't pay the money for certification and at the same time far exceed those same certification requirements with their products. So... "certified" is not a magic word of guarantee in my book. What really counts is when the rubber meets the road and the product performs.
Pete, obviously Amsoil must think there is an importance to the API certification, or they wouldn't label the DEO bottle with API CJ-4, deceiving people into thinking it is CJ-4 certified!! Also, it must be important to ALL US automobile manufacturers, because they call out API certification for oil requirements! Matter of fact, even Amsoil recommends their 2 oil products that are API certified for vehicle manufacturer warranty reasons! I suggest you read up on what API certification means, because it also covers lot to lot process control, as well as control over additive packages. Without API certification, a manufacturer like Amsoil can make additive changes at will, as well as not monitoring their process for variation.

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 12-26-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
Bob I don't know where your getting your info from. I priced MobilOne at AutoZone and it was 5.99 qrt
Amsoil is the same according to your post so how is that such an inflated price?
If you look at the context of the post, CJ-4 oils are being discussed! The price on Amsoil DEO is $7.45 / quart (which Pete bought), much higher than the Rotella, or Delo CJ-4 API certified oils.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jfsully
Unlike many, many MLM companies, Amsoil is a product driven company supplying quality products second to none.
I read the same thing on the Amsoil website!!!! But that is the only place you will see it!!! If you check out the URL in post #18, it is a truely independent
oil test by NC State University, and it looks like Amsoil came in second to Royal Purple in a lot of the test metrics! So, it looks like Amsoil lies about being "second to none", just like their API ratings..........

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 12-26-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
I do too Brian!!!! I have had friends and family members that have had to file for bankruptsy, from believing the lies of MLM companies!!!
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

We get it Bob . Just quit calling people stupid for buying Amsoil !!!!!!!

You may not like Amsoil but don't discount what other say about just because you don't like it.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
I do pay some attention to them, but having spent a number of years establishing and maintaining ISO9000 certification in manufacturing, and being a trained auditor for both ISO and EPA regulated certification programs, I know for a fact that being certified only guarantees that you've met some minimum guidelines. There are lots of folks who won't pay the money for certification and at the same time far exceed those same certification requirements with their products. So... "certified" is not a magic word of guarantee in my book. What really counts is when the rubber meets the road and the product performs.
Pete, ISO has absolutely nothing to do with the petroleum industry like API certification, just like ISO has nothing to do with the electronic components
industry like JEDEC, Mil. spec., IEEE standards, etc. ...

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 12-26-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:41 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by firesoutmatt
We get it Bob . Just quit calling people stupid for buying Amsoil !!!!!!!
I dont see where he ever did that. People can buy Amsoil and have nothing to do with the MLM, thus the ability to purchase it directly from their website.

I wouldn't call people who are sucked into MLM schemes idiots. I would call them misled. I find it unfortunate that Amsoil uses an MLM scheme, as their product sounds pretty good.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM
jfsully
Junior User
Talking

Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
I read the same thing on the Amsoil website!!!! But that is the only place you will see it!!! If you check out the URL in post #18, it is a truely independent
oil test by NC State University, and it looks like Amsoil came in second to Royal Purple in a lot of the test metrics! So, it looks like Amsoil lies about being "second to none", just like their API ratings..........
For you to acknowledge that Amsoil placed in the tests will give old Al reason enough to celebrate the New Year. Don't be surprised if Lubes 'N' Greases asks for an interview.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:38 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Well, I've had my say regarding my past experience, and remain excited to continue to learn new things about how PSD's behave and how to get them to behave better.

Bob... no hard feelings whatsoever. You and I have discussed this very issue privately before, and I both understand your passion and appreciate your desire to keep us all aware of potential problems with various choices we may make. Thanks for that.

Once I get some real world analysis numbers, I'll post them here for all to see. I have a little heartburn over the differences in cost between the Delo, Roteela-T, Royal Purple, and the Amsoil DEO that I chose to purchase. At the same time, I can't scientifically discount what i saw with my other truck, and want to see if I can get a repeat. If things get better with the DEO, it will still have to break down to a cost analysis, and I will remain obligated to try the same experiment with some of the others. I like this kind of reasearch, and am happy to share my results with everyone... unless you don't want to hear about it.

I'll check in again when I have more than opinion to offer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
new oil filter from amsoil any good?

Originally Posted by 4x4Mark
I thought the OE filter was somewhere in the 20 micron range - can't remember the source. I've also heard of one case where the Amsoil filter collapsed because it was too restrictive. I don't think you'll gain anything by deviating from OEM when it comes to filters on the 6.0L.

Mark
you are correct, Motorcraft filters remove 80% of particles larger then 20 microns.

Ed

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-01-2007 at 08:38 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru

Don't fall for the concept that a smaller micron rating on the filter is better, the OE filter is designed for most efficient and effective operation. Installing a smaller micron filter than the OE design in a full flow oil filter system, will likely mean that the filter will spend more time bypassing during some situations, such as with thick cold oil, in otherwords it may spend more time not filtering at all.

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-01-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 PM
cabinetmaker00
Senior User

Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
They have a new O/F out submicron full synthetic media. Designed 03-06 ford 6.0 diesel engines 98.7% at 16 microns which is far better than the 35-40 micron of the stock filter what do you guys think worth a try??
you can get a great deal on oem racor filters sold thru FRAM at pep boys ,
2 for 7 thru sat the 30th that is if you got pep boys in your area.

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-01-2007 at 08:47 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
bigtorque
Elder User

i use the AMSOIL filter on my 7.3, though it is much different than the 6.0 filter, and the AMSOIL filter is bigger than the stock filter so it can filter and hold more
contaminants in my application. i also use the AMSOIL 15/40 HD. I can honesly say when i switched over from what the dealer puts in (pennzoil) to AMSOIL and the EAO filter, it ran way better, a much smoother sound, and quicker higher rev, and picked up about .8 mpg over stock. AMSOIL is a great product but I would not recommend using their filter without using their oil, and yes it will cost you more, but to me, its well worth it. i will be posting my oil results in a couple of months, It may shed some light on how well the AMSOIL filter and oil work. my .02

Last edited by horsepuller; 01-01-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry, but if you don't question any of the information leading up to the conclusion, and thre were no other changes made aside from the change in oil brand, on what basis can you question the conclusion that it was the change in oil that correlated to the increase in mpg? There are no other variables that changed, except for the extra year's wear on the engine.
A few posts ago you had this:
Then I took off my one valve cover and my oil pan, stripped them clean, replaced the gaskets (and used gasket sealant), cleaned the matching surfaces on the engine where the gaskets would go, buttoned her up and switched to Amsoil 10W30.
You either did, or didn't; and however insignificant a few gaskets may seem to you, doing any engine work can easily taint an experiment. Confounds are probably the most common mistakes amateurs and researchers make. Here's a good link on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confound

aurgathor, I can only hope that you scrutinize every aspect of your own maintenance practices as much as you apparently do my post.
I said it once -- the only thing I scrutinize is the conclusion that your mpg gain was solely the result of Amsoil. 16% is just a little too much for that and I'm willing to bet that at least part of it (probably a significant portion) was due to something else. Here's another good link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Method/

Now, for the argument's sake, let assume that your mpg gain was due to Amsoil. If that's the case, other people using Amsoil should be seeing comparable gains in mpg. Does anyone else seeing 10% - 15% mpg gain?

Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
aurgathor, we could argue academic exercises all day long, but I won't. It would help if you didn't take pieces of my posts out of context. I also posted a statement that I had previsouly changed valve cover gaskets while running Mobil 1 with no affect on mileage whatsoever. The statement you quoted above regarding "no other variables...except for the extra year's wear on the engine" was not meant to say that I had made no changes at all. The operative word is "other" in that quote, which agrees with what I had said in the earlier post. There were no OTHER changes made aside from those previously reported.

Therefore, the only OTHER change made after taking care of the gaskets was simple engine wear. However, simple reasoning rules that out as being a part due to the dramatic step-change in mileage that was measured on the first fillup after changing oils. This step-change was maintained for a full year with no other maintenance/repair activities on the vehicle. Simple facts. Who knows? Perhaps there were other variables coming into play, but I know that they weren't associated with my maintenance/repair practices or seasonal ambient conditions.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did change my seat covers in that same year, though. I had forgotten about that!

Quick Reply: The Amsoil Anomaly: