2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Unlock after truck is in park

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 PM
JGLogsdon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Unlock after truck is in park

I have an easy question but have yet to find a simple solution... or any solution. I just traded my '04 Lariat F150 Screw for an '06 King Ranch Screw and have had the same problem with both trucks.

When you stop your truck and put it in park, I want to have all of the locks automatically "unlock" so that passengers in the rear can open their doors without me having to use the unlock button on the front driver door. I know, why so lazy... but I see it as when you carry big boys and girls on a short trip they shouldn't have to ask permission to exit the vehicle when it stops... and I am tired of hearing, "how do I unlock the door?", "Don't forget about us.", and my favorite, "Do you have the child lock on?".

So, my question to all of you great minds out there...

Is there a way to enable/disable the door locks to automatically unlock ALL DOORS when you put the truck into park.

Okay... let the ideas flow!

Thanks

John

Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
You can turn off the autoLOCK when you drive away, but you cannot make it autoUNLOCK upon putting it in park. Well, there's a way, but you have to buy a particular aftermarket alarm system and have it wired. Do an advanced search of this sub-forum for UNLOCK and you'll find a few threads about this topic ... with no solution that you'll really like.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 PM
JGLogsdon
New User
Appreciate the advice Gordo... I will check out the other threads. I don't get why Ford overlooked this on their high end trucks. But I guess it is the same reason that you manually recline the seats and tilt the wheel... I guess we have to do somethings for ourselves!
BTW - I bought my King Ranch in Dark Copper because it is the closest I could get to burnt orange. Hook-Em Horns!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
higdogg
Junior User
man i hate that too! i have always wondered about that. i guess we have all been in other cars and stuff where the doors unlock when it goes in park, and i also cannot figure out why ford didn't do this. kinda stupid. it gets on my nerves as well. i think that's something it should do. when people try to get out you catch them pulling on the locks manually to unlock them and stuff because they can't get out.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:29 AM
JGLogsdon
New User
You are right... it is not very passenger friendly.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

On one hand I agree with others here. It is a pain most of the time.
On the other hand..... If you are somewhere you dont want all doors to unlock for security sake, how would you stop and put it in park safely. The front doors auto unlock with the pull of the handle. The back doors will not. I assume it is a child safety issue as well.

I guess some think of their own convience and others tend to lean toward security and safety??????

At least thats the way I'm looking at it in my case.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM
skybox
Freshman User
Yep, would be nice to have it be a driver door switch that just gives the option of auto or manual unlock. Same issue on my wife's explorer too.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:38 PM
sysman_rick
Senior User
Sounds like you have the rear door locks set to the child proof setting.
On my 05 KR Screw the rear doors can be opened(unlocked) by the passenger UNLESS the childproof setting is enabled. Check the rear door area near the lock.There should be a two position selector switch to enable or disable child-proof lock option.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:46 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Acutually Rick.... With the child proof you cant get out at all. What is being discussed is the fact the doors auto lock and the back seat passengers dont know this. They must manually unlock the door with the pull **** or a front seat passenger has to unlock the doors as the back doors do not have power lock switches.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:33 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
Yes, it would be nice to have an override button option. But when it comes down to it, it's a legal issue. If you had a child in the back seat and the doors automatically unlocked when put into PARK, then said child could 'escape' and run into traffic, etc. Or, they could be abducted by the predator lurking in the parking lot, etc. So, for legal issues, Ford cannot permit all doors to unlock ... they'd have their *** sued within a week by some parent, etc! This is why you can turn off the autoLOCK feature ... making it your decision to have the doors unlocked accordingly.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:17 PM
skybox
Freshman User
I agree with it being a possible legal issue, but any kid that can run or get out of a carseat, can unlock a door. And if the child safety lock was activated it wouldn't matter either way. I do understand having a predator try to open your door just as soon as you put a vehicle in park, but unless I am wrong, the drivers door is still locked until the driver opens the door, thus making the door unlock. If the driver was to just put the vehicle in park, the door doesn't open from the outside does it? Haven't tried that. Anyways, I think it could easily be done so that all doors open from the inside, while remaining locked until opened. I know... not that big of a deal, but I see no proof yet, as to why it is necessary. It is like windows in cars that only go half way down in the back. Kids have to be in car seats until they are atleast 4 now.... 4 year olds should know better than to jump out a window..... why is it ok for them to jump out of an SUV or truck but not a car.... I am sure there explanations for all of this.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 PM
sysman_rick
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by BigDfromTN
Acutually Rick.... With the child proof you cant get out at all. What is being discussed is the fact the doors auto lock and the back seat passengers dont know this. They must manually unlock the door with the pull **** or a front seat passenger has to unlock the doors as the back doors do not have power lock switches.
Do not have that problem on my Screw!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 PM
wedge88
Senior User
In your manual it tells you how to turn the auto lock feature off. I hated everytime someone was in back I would forget to unlock doors so I just disabled the AutoLock function. It was easy and now the doors are not locked unless I push the button for them too. I am also in and out of my truck all the time so I would get P/O when I would jump out of the truck and walk around to the other side and the door was still locked. Lazy yes but when you buy a $40K vehicle it is because we are lazy to begin with. (Auto Everything!!)