AFV Placards

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFV Placards

Speaking of biodiesel placards...in another thread...I was reading through the Washington State laws about using biodiesel and came across one saying that any vehicles running on any alternative fuels must display a reflectiive AFV placard. Where do you get these placards??? They say you get them from the National Fire Protection Assoc., but I went to their website and don't see them anywhere. Anyone know?? And, do you have this "required" placard??

In case of an accident, the fire departments need to know the kind of fuel aboard to handle extinquishing a fire or spill, so that's why you are required to display the AFV placard. Makes sense, but you'd think these "required placards" would be easier to find.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 AM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.ou.edu/oupd/altfuel.htm

I think Biodiesel is not considered an AF. It is treated as Diesel.

But the law is very vague.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Willbd...I think you're right. It is confusiing however. In the Washington State regs they mention that any AFV must have a placard. They include biodiesel in their AF sections mentioning tax incentives etc., but when you go the the specific regulation, it says AF does not include gasoline or diesel. Doesn't specifically say biodiesel, but it does say diesel. I guess we can assume biodiesel is the same as diesel in this regulation. This is the reg below...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom>RCW 46.37.467

Alternative fuel source — Placard required.

</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</B>(1) Every automobile, truck, motorcycle, motor home, or off-road vehicle that is fueled by an alternative fuel source shall bear a reflective placard issued by the national fire protection association indicating that the vehicle is so fueled. Violation of this subsection is a traffic infraction.

(2) As used in this section "alternative fuel source" includes propane, compressed natural gas, liquid petroleum gas, or any chemically similar gas but does not include gasoline or diesel fuel.

(3) If a placard for a specific alternative fuel source has not been issued by the national fire protection association, a placard issued by the chief of the Washington state patrol, through the director of fire protection, shall be required. The chief of the Washington state patrol, through the director of fire protection, shall develop rules for the design, size, and placement of the placard which shall remain effective until a specific placard is issued by the national fire protection association.