Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

Shifting problem in 79 4speed 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Big billy C
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting problem in 79 4speed 4x4

Well my ride called in " snowday " and i thought id go drive in myself .. bad idea. Well every thing was fine untill i pulled out onto the main road and sifted form 2nd to 3rd , well tried to . When i pressed the clutch it didnt move much.. kinda like it was binding .. and it wouldnt go into gear so i slowed and turned around..now to shift i gotta hammer it in cause it just wont "open up " and when i tried to stop ... it wouldnt let go so i had to stall it. While it was off i tried to run threw the gears and couldn't get any but reverse. I think its the clutch fork and or the bearing? If anyone could help diagnose id really appreciate it !

Thanks alot

bill

Old 11-30-2006, 11:11 AM
bchunter
Elder User
Where are you? What temp are you driving in? Was the truck parked outside? The reason I am asking is the linkage might be frozen up.

By the sounds of it, if you can't get any gears when it is off, then I would also think that something in there is locked up, or the linkage is locked up causing the clutch and thow-out bearing to lock up.

It is hard to say with-out getting in there and looking at it. Try thawing it out if you can if it is frozen. If it still won't release, then it is pull apart time.

You might also want to post this in the tranny forum as you might get more help there. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Big billy C
Junior User
ok will do thanks for the help.
its frigin cold.. haha snowy out.. im in hope bc . If stuff frozen down there... then how come when i started it up it was fine.. for about 5 minits of intown driving .. it shouldnt work.. then just get stuck all of a sudden.. atleast i wouldnt think so.. but.. oh well

thanks muchly

bill C

Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 PM
bchunter
Elder User
My thought was that you had enough lube to get you that far, then she decided to stick, and if it got warmed back up, at least you can make it work to diagnose the problem. If she stays stuck, warm or cold, then you have narrowed down your prossibilities. Good luck

I know that the cold reaks havok on trucks until they get used to it. When I brought my truck up here from Kelowna, the first winter was a tough one for it, the slave cylinder went and stuff was breaking off it everywhere. It had never been below -1.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey bill you dont happen to work in agassiz do you...?

Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Big billy C
Junior User
lol well i just may preppypyro haha .. please .. dont tell me you've " been watching me " hhahaha but ya at Britco do you know me or do you know someone that works there ?

ps. please stop looking in my room when i change.. it weirds me out

haha jk

Old 12-01-2006, 09:27 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I used to work there, electrician, always bs'ed with you about fords... if that rings a bell! Glad to hear you got the old ford going though, although its too bad you are having problems allreaddy! When I went back to sask, I picked up that 74 with the 460 in it I was telling you about, and it turned out to be a 77 xlt instead.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Big billy C
Junior User
haha no way Hey man hows it goin .. Wow crazy ya i remember ya ! Im takin it in today to my buddies shop in abbuts ford we think that one or more of the springs on the pressure plate has pop'd or broken so... shouldn't be too hard to fix and i can get a clutch kit with every thing in there for 160 which is pretty darn good i think!
and sweet the 77 was my favorite year well .. 76 77 i think there the same and a 460 good call and really who needs gas milage hahaha when you can roast tires anywhere lol. How is the body on it box floor , cab mounts etc... ? R u gonna keep it kinda stalk looking or put some larger tires and lower it some? What did you say was the trans .

Old 12-02-2006, 07:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Cool you can get such a good deal on a clutch kit, thats a bonus! 77 is a good year, and you were right before when you said the 78/79 grills didnt look as good! The body is pretty shot on my 77, which sucks. But My uncle has a 75 with very little rust that im gonna be trying to get from him. Gonna try and build one yet, but in the meantime still looking for that shortbox!