1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Vermillion Red mixed in PPG acrylic urethane (Deltron)

Old 03-19-2002, 04:37 PM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched thru the postings and found lots of info about vermillion red but not the answer to my question. I want to paint my 50 F1 Vermillion red. I went to my local paint store and they can mix it in anything except PPG acrylic urethane because they don't have a formula. I really want to use that paint because I've use it before and got great results. It can be sanded and polished so it's perfect for those of us without spray booths and it holds up extremely well to wear. They could match it for me if I brought in a sample but I don't have one because my truck was Sivertone gray. has anybody been through this and had it mixed? Can you share the formula?
Thanks,
Dan

Old 03-19-2002, 05:01 PM
ducatif1
New User

Actually they should be able to cross reference but: DAU is an easy paint to use and is very forgiving but as far as I know it is being replaced by a different version. Sometimes colors are only available in base coat clearcoat formulas which may be the reason it won't translate into a DAU formula. I am not postive but is that a straight red? Mnay reds have to be clear coated. This can be very simple use the base coat they have for your color coat (Actually the coverage will be alot easier than with straight single stage)then you can clear with clear DAU if your supplier still carries DAU products. This way you can have color match, easier base coat application and dry time then clear with your DAU which will do everything the same as it does as when used as a color coat. Don't reinvent paint products there is a reason that particular color is only available in base/clear. Due to new regualtions pigments and added solvents have changed drastically which might cause hiding and color stay concerns. Try the base coat clear it may seam like more difficult process but it isn't. It actually will speed things up coat wise as it dries in 1/2 the time and can be cleared almost immediatly.

Old 03-20-2002, 04:42 AM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User

I'll have to ask if it's available in Base/Clear. He didn't mention it but I didn't ask either. I have used it in the past and your right, it works well. I don't think it's as good of match in appearance to the original finish but I'm not that worried about it. The only thing he had a formula for was lacquer, some sort of enamel, and a cheaper brand of urethane that he warned me away from. I've had such good results with DAU that I hate to stray too far. By the way, the new acrylic urethane that PPG is selling is called "Concept DCC". I'd be willing to give it a try if I can get it mixed.Thanks for the input.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:21 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts

[table width="300" border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2 "background="http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/truck/pnl-twotrucks.gif"]
[tr][td][FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="3"]

The first time I painted my pickup I matched the inner door panel to a red that was listed for a early 80s International Harvester truck. It matched the original Ford color but the second time I painted it I didn't have the truck part with me to match and didn't remember the number and the PPG International Harvester paint I picked out was a little light. When I have my truck next to another Ford the newest color is still pretty close. You could go to your supplier and look at his paint chips for International and see if you can find want you like.

Bob Jones

[/TD][/TR]
[tr][td][table width="300" border="0" align="center"][TR][TD]
'49 F-2 pickup

http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/truck/trk-restored.jpg
[/TD]
[td]     [/td]
[TD]
'48 panel

http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/truck/pnl-frontrightsmall.jpg
[/TD][/TR]
[/table]
[TR cellspacing="2"][TD]
http://www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/images/paneltruck.gif
[/TD][/TR]
[TR][TD]
[FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE="4" COLOR="RED"][B][/FONT][link:www.specialtycontrolpanels.com/trucksindex.html|Click Here To Visit My Truck Page][/td][/tr][/TABLE]

Old 03-20-2002, 09:18 AM
sasha98
Junior User
Post Vermillion Red mixed in PPG acrylic urethane (Deltron)

I have the formula for 1950 Ford Vermillion Red in my wallet. My paint supplier had to call it in to PPG, handed it to me, and said not to lose it.

DBU #70358T

663 - 34
648 - 39
654 - 265.2
622 - 643.6
626 - 1174.6
695 - 2078

I think this will make 2 quarts; your supplier will be able to tell.

I then cleared with the Concept 2000, sanded and buffed.

Old 03-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Dan_the_Ford_Man
Junior User

Sasha98 you're my hero! Anybody who carriers the paint formual to their truck in their wallet is my kinda person! Thank you, I'm headed to the paint store to give it a try. Was this a formula that they had or did they match a panel you brought? If so, what vehicle was if from?
Thanks again,
Dan

Old 03-20-2002, 12:30 PM
sasha98
Junior User

I don't carry pictures of my cars, trucks, wife, family or dogs - just the paint formula. Wallet space is limited and I have my priorities.

My 1950 truck had been sandblasted by the previous owner, so there were only traces of the original color to verify it was red. My supplier called the PPG Hotline and got the formula from them. It wasn't that difficult, but I carry the formula so they don't need to call again.

There's also a spreadsheet on the site here for the codes, but not the formula.

www.ford-trucks.com/articles/paintcodes.xls

I have everything for the cab/front painted and now assembling. Later, I'll do the bed.

Enjoy

Old 03-20-2002, 09:36 PM
ducatif1
New User

Any DBU product needs to be cleared this also has been replaced with Global type product. Concept 2000 is good but dries super fast. If your supplier is still talking laquer it's time to find someone new. Also theer are a lot better easier to use products than PPG. Just a idea. Good luck!!

Old 03-22-2002, 03:36 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 03-25-2002, 05:53 AM
sasha98
Junior User

Correction: I use DCU 2021 Urethane Clear and am very happy with it.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:10 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Dan

I know this is not exactly the answer you're looking for but if you get in a jam you can use acrylic enamel with hardner for similar results. I color sanded and buffed my red paint to near perfection. I know that base/clear is the wave of the future but I did not want to use it for 2 reasons. First I knew I had no chance of reassembling my truck and aligning panels without a few chips along the way. I was correct unfortunately but single stage is easier to fix in my opinion, others may disagree. Second reason was the cost. I looked at a shade of 2002 Ford Truck red in base/clear that was about $700 a gallon with all the additives. My painting equipment and facility made that too high risk for my wallet. Make sure you have the proper equipment for the product you are using too. Most of the new stuff is pretty wicked with the isocyanates. I can't help you on the paint code unless you like colors similar to IH tractor Red.

Good Luck
Dewayne

Old 03-25-2002, 09:17 PM
bhabben
Senior User

>Also theer are a lot better easier to use products than PPG. ducatif1, I've been out of the body business for some time and could use some advice to get up to speed. DP40, K200, and Deltron were what I preferred. What are some products to take a look at? On the less expensive end of the spectrum the local PPG jobbers claim that the Omni line is a good value; better than acrylic enamel but costs less.
For epoxy primers what do you know about Autobodymasters, Transtar, etc?
Thanks for any input
Brett
PS. PPG(Ditzler) paint codes break down as such. The three digit prefix denotes which product line it was mixed in. Previous codes include:
DCC - Concept Acrylic Urethane Single Stage
DBU - Deltron Basecoat Urethane
DAU - Deltron Acrylic Urethane
DDL- Duracryl Acrylic Lacquer
DAR - Delstar Acrylic Enamel
DQE - Ditzco Alkyd Enamel
DU - Durethane Polyurethane
The 5 digit number following is the color shade. Just change the prefix to request it in a different (modern) product line.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:12 AM
vikingrni
Freshman User

I had a pint of Vermillion red, single stage cheapy enamel mixed by my local PPG paint supplier just to check the color. I plan on using a base/clearcoat on my 50' F2 although a single stage paint would be more like the original paint. It is always best to use a high quality paint if you want paint to last. The following was the mix:

Type paint (Omni AE) - Acrylic enamel, MAE71660 C

M107 - 48.0
M120 - 4.5
M134 - 5.4
M106 - 56.4
M104 - 142.7
M103 - 243.9
M102 - 10.0

Ron