Best BIO DIESEL Processor for Homebrewing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best BIO DIESEL Processor for Homebrewing?

Ok, i have done tons of research regarding Bio Diesel and Bio Diesel Processors and am ready to purchase my first Bio Diesel Processor. Has any one reading this forum bought or used a comercialy produced processor??? Please help me make my decision by giving me pros and cons and any problems that accured. I am looking to produce fuel for myself and family, and am interested in processors that make between 40-80 gallons. If you were in my situation what processor that I can BUY would be best for both ease and quality fuel.
Thanks.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM
bc56845
Senior User
I know you say that you want to buy a processor, but it's really not worth it. If you're capable of collecting oil, titrating it and making fuel, then you're capable of building your own processor for next to nothing. If you're wanting to make between 40 and 80 gallons a batch, the best thing to do would be to find an old commercial hot water heater for free, or buy a new one. There are all kinds of plans to make an appleseed processor. Go to biodieselcommunity.org and you will find all the info you want. Look for Girl Mark's book on that website. She also does workshops all around the country that are really good. I went to one in pittsboro, nc. She shows you how to do everything from building the processor to titrating oil. The processor seems like its a lot of plumbing at first but its really not all that complicated.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
bc56845
Senior User
One more thing to add- if you build your own you can customize it to your space needs or to settle the fuel wherever you would like, etc.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about something like fabman's processor? Is the appleseed type the best as far as space goes, or is it easier to just have a barrel for mixing and settling?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
phish555
Senior User
I agree with bc56845, build your own. I built mine starting with a new 50 gallon water heater. 247 gallons through my fuel delivery meter and counting. My truck loves the stuff.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
bc56845
I know you say that you want to buy a processor, but it's really not worth it. If you're capable of collecting oil, titrating it and making fuel, then you're capable of building your own processor for next to nothing. If you're wanting to make between 40 and 80 gallons a batch, the best thing to do would be to find an old commercial hot water heater for free, or buy a new one. There are all kinds of plans to make an appleseed processor. Go to biodieselcommunity.org and you will find all the info you want. Look for Girl Mark's book on that website. She also does workshops all around the country that are really good. I went to one in pittsboro, nc. She shows you how to do everything from building the processor to titrating oil. The processor seems like its a lot of plumbing at first but its really not all that complicated.
I know what you are saying. I went to one of her workshops and saw the processor and decided that i don't want to build my own for a couple reasons.
I am just looking for a good already made processor. I have been looking at the ones on biodiesel123.com and like there set up. Im not looking to waist money but im also not about to buy a used waterheater and rig my own processor.
Thanks for the responses, and if anyone has anymore feedback on processors i am still undecided.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:34 AM
bc56845
Senior User
mongo75- I use an appleseed to process the fuel, but as soon as its done mixing I pump it into an upside down barrel with a standpipe in it to settle. The hot water heater will not let it settle clean. The shape of the bottom of the tank keeps you from draining out clean fuel without picking up glycerine. I don't know how all these people are settling in an unmodified hot water heater- the only way I see that working is to turn the water heater upside down. So yeah, I think the best thing to do is process in the hot water heater and settle in a standpipe barrel or some other tank.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
A friend of mine has one made by Biodesielsolutions (www.Biodieselsolutions.com). It's a pretty good set up and you get everything with it. But you still have to make some way to heat the oil and dry the oil. He is using a 55 Gal band heater and it takes around 5hrs to get the oil up to temp. ( I'm trying to get him to use a hotwater tank to heat with, but he's stubborn)
I just built him a spray dryer and so far it seems to work great he said he dried the last 40 Gal. batch in 1hr. (His old way was taking over 12hrs)
But all in all I like the system as you mix the meth and lye in the mixing lid of the tank (no mess, no fumes) pretty nice set up.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 AM
bc56845
Senior User
wow, I've heard about the fuelmeister and I saw it on the Trucks show, I never realized how expensive it was. It's just a glorified appleseed. I've got about 3 or 4 hundred in mine, and thats buying all new pumps, line, building a big roll around table for it, etc. You could build several processors yourself for what you pay for that one. I know the fuel it makes isn't any better than mine.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
I agree I'm building my own appleseed. I just got an 80Gal hotwater tank and now that we tried out my drying tank set up I'll make another one of those. I also purchased several of the pumps from Harbor Frieght for 24.99. It's cheaper to buy a pump than to buy two or more valves, so my system is going to have a pump for each phase of the process.(less valves, less plumbing - cleaner look)

Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 PM
cpt kirk
New User
putting together a processing station of my own, it does not require any heating,mix of lye or meth. The company is called DSE. Simply set up and inexpensive less than $200.00. Will let you know how it goes. cpt kirk

Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 AM
bc56845
Senior User
diesel secret isnt biodiesel. Its basically SVO without the heaters in your tanks, which in my opinion can't be very good on a motor

Old 11-15-2006, 01:44 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cpt kirk
putting together a processing station of my own, it does not require any heating,mix of lye or meth. The company is called DSE. Simply set up and inexpensive less than $200.00. Will let you know how it goes. cpt kirk
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ught-this.html

FABMANDELUX.

At this point all I have left is Humour...............

Last edited by fabmandelux; 11-15-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cpt kirk
Kirk
Diesel Secret is a scam dont waste your money.

Do a search on this site for Diesel Secret and you will get enough reading material to keep you busy for quite some time.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
dwaller
New User
biodiesel123

I understand your point. I am looking at buying a commercial procesor. I am looking at biodiesel123 and trying to find information on the company. I could easily build my own processor. However, it becomes a time thing. If I do that I will then not be able to do something else, and/or pay someone to do something. I also want to do larger batches at one time so that time per gallon in making it is reduced. My calculations show it will still be proffitable just not as quickly. I am going in with 3 other people. If I find out any information I will let you know. I would also appreciate any information on Biodiesel123. Good luck, just cause it is easy to build a processor does not mean it is cost/time effective to do so.

Don

Quick Reply: Best BIO DIESEL Processor for Homebrewing?