New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Why did you buy your truck???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why did you buy your truck???

I was at the gas station filling up the SD and had someone ask me why I bought my truck. I know the real reason for the question was they were looking at the V10 badges and they were trying to get after me about how it was a gas hog, but it did get me to thinking as to why each of us bought our trucks.

I bought mine mainly for plowing. When I was looking for a replacement plow truck I hunted down every snowplow contractor I could find and asked them what they liked and disliked about their trucks for plowing. The answer was the same, buy as heavy duty as you can with a solid front axle. Then the wife wanted the extended cab while in the back of my mind I was looking for a truck that could haul a trailer as I wanted to get back into road racing. I originally wanted a PSD, but the combination of plow, EC, and PSD was too much weight for the front axle so the PSD went and in went the V10.

So what was your reasons for buying your truck?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:00 AM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
I bought my PSD because we eventually want to get a fifth wheel camper but now I keep finding all of these nice toys for it. So who knows what it will end up being

Last edited by jasonschwenk; 11-06-2006 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
So Jason, do you ever think you will get the 5th wheel? I know I will probably never get the race car and trailer. The wife pretty much said no to that idea. However once I get my new wheeling rig and it gets built up the SD might see trailering duty to the trails.

So what about everyone else??? Why did you get your truck?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Bill_T
Senior User
My story:
A few years ago I bought a Jayco 27' TT for camping with the family. We had outgrown the old pop up and my wife and I wanted a bit more comfort (old age ).

My old, full size 3/4 ton Chevy Van moaned and groaned when I went on my first 2 (short) trips. I was over the recommended total gross weight and the van was old and tired.. NOT a safe combination...

I explained how unsafe we were to my wife who now had no choice but support buying a "safer" tow vehicle... Since I was motivated soley by my family's well-being, I bought my 2002 V10 Excursion, figuring there wasnt much I couldnt tow with the beast..

I have since sold the Jayco TT and now have the "X" as my daily driver. I think I managed that real well dont you?! lol

ohhh by the way, Family road trips are vastly improved with all the extra room in the "X". So I helped improve family harmony as a result of the truck... what a selfless guy I turned out to be lol

Old 11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
I like the way that you think Bill!!!! Good way of working the whole family safety in there to get the X. I know you really meant it!!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
So no one else is interested in talking about their trucks???

I thought everyone would be jumping on this thread to say something about why they purchased their trucks.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:43 AM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
besides being a ford fan, i just couldn't pass up the deal. $500 and runs like a top. i did some body surgery 2 summers ago, a fuel pump, alternator, brake lines..just minor stuff. but mostly i love the shortbox look. it tows my boat, moves stuff and is just a blast to drive. it rides like a truck. gotta love that.
pics in my photobucket at the bottom

Old 11-15-2006, 07:16 AM
captchas
leo kaytes ford in warwick ny. it's v10 also and for the same reasons as rich. the 5th wheel is neatly covered by the bed cover and it works just as hard as my old psd's worked just with less costs on matainance. my trucks a v10 thanks to a bad taste for psds' after buying one of the true lemon aid 03 6.0's.
guys if i can pull the company race cars in the enclosed trailer around here or up the hacketstown hill on route 46 east going home from island dragway or haul 2- 8v71 tia marine motors at the same time there nothing wrong with that motor

Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM
John Pen
Tuned
Bought mine 'cause I love old Fords ...mostly because I can afford a new Ford...lol...My '74 is my baby ...looks like hell but starts every time I turn the key..I guess Ill just keep putting money into it..Will never get out of it, what I have in it...my kids swear they are going to bury me in it...

Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
Wanted something that had basically unlimited potential... for hauling, towing, and playing.

Got sick of 80 somethings... and moved up to pre 2000s.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 PM
soondg
Postmaster
I was going to look at a van that I wanted for a scoot about vehicle and I saw a truck (83 150 already lifted) parked on the side of a service garage. I said to my youngest son who was with me that if they would take a certain amount for it I would buy it. They wanted less, I bought it.
I had just gotten rid of an 01 Ranger Edge 4X4 and was looking for a full sized truck anyway to replace an 89 250 Diesel that I had. Never bought the van but I am going to look at one tomorrow (92 C**** Astro), guy says it runs but needs work. He's selling it very cheap. If I buy it I'll remove all external markings identifying it as a GM product, may even re-badge it with Ford emblems I have lying around.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:05 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by soondg
may even re-badge it with Ford emblems I have lying around.
Reminds me of the SCORE ruling that it must be badged whatever the engine is. So if you are running a Ford with a Chevy engine it has to have Chevy badges and vice versa. Always hated that rule. Here is a Ranger with a Chevy badge and grill because it was running a Chevy engine:

Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2006, 08:30 AM
captchas
ouch! now thats one reason for my bum back .racing in score for the bahia 1000. only the ride was a vw bug.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Charlie, so how did you do??? Do you still follow the race? Robby Gordon won again. Lance Clifford and a bunch of guys from Pirate 4x4 competed in the JeepSpeed class for the first time and won their class.

Last edited by Ronin007; 11-19-2006 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:22 PM
mjlevi
Senior User
There is this Ford Dealer satellite office in an adjacent Town from the mother Dealership,... everyday for a month, I was driving by this awesome Superduty checking it out, saying how sweet it was, then I took a day off work to go looking, I went back their and it was gone...I was bummed, so I drove a few others, and the salesman asked what I was looking for and he said I may have the truck for you,... he sent me back to main Dealer, and lo and behold their it was...that hot truck I've been looking at!!! It was an 05 F250 PSD Supercab, Shortbox...with a few thousand miles on it, so for only $31,000!...I was driving it home the next day!!...., the original owner had defaulted on payments after having it for only 7 months and it was repossessed....it apparently was meant to be mine!! I have invested approx. $5,000 in accessories and upgrades to it, and currently pull my utility cargo trailer as needed and plan on a future 5th wheel camper!!

Last edited by mjlevi; 11-23-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your truck???