5R55S Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Question 5R55S Noise

I have a 2002 Explorer EB, 4.6, and the 5 speed 5r55s Trans. I bought it used, it has 70k on it. The trans shifts fine and seems to work correctly. Im curious about a noise you can hear when accelerating, my dealer said it is normal, I dont think so. Anyways here is the description of the noise. It sounds like you are telling someone to be quiet..Shhhhhhht and it is reasonably loud. If you take off slowly and dont get on the gas hard it doesnt make the noise, only if you take off briskly. The odd thing is just before it shifts to second the sound stops immediately, like flipping a switch. It seems load dependant because you can get it to do it in any gear if you are on the gas hard enough.

It is not a heat guard, brake, or rear end noise.

My dealer flushed the trans as a routine service and the noise has changed slightly, maybe due to the new fluids viscosity.

Anyone care to comment?

Matt

Old 11-04-2006, 03:52 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you had a freind that has a scanner that can pull up the computer perimiter identifications or pids.if the tcc locks up the torque converter and the noise goes away,then you need a new torque converter.this is somewhat of a common problem that we as ford trans techs are seeing ,more often in the v8 exp,mountain, and aviators.the funny thing about this is it takes 1-3 converters from fords reman company before you find one that isnt noisey. goodluck.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the reply. Ill look into that.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Pontisteve
5th Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
<P>Matt, did you ever get to the bottom of this? My 03 Eddie V8 4wd does the EXACT same thing. I can't figure out what's making the noise, but I know it's load sensitive. Either that, or it goes away during the tranny shifts. My best guess is that the catalytic converters are broken up inside, and rattling around. The noise goes away at WOT.</P>
<P>I already checked heat shields, and even smacked the cats with a rubber mallet, but didn't find any noisy ones. My gut tells me it's in the trans, but the only thing I could think of is some sort of bearing noise, quite possibly in the converter.</P>

Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 AM
Matt In Detroit
Mountain Pass
Wow, old thread. Anyways, no, never figured it out. I sold the truck a year ago with ~90k on it and it still made the noise and it still ran great. One thing i do remember is it never did it when the truck was cold. It is quite a common noise on the V8 explorer and mountaineer, here in michigan we have a lot of these trucks running around, i have heard some driving by when i have been walking or standing somewhere and they have made the noise as they drove by. Just last week I was walking out to my car here at luchtime and a Explorer stopped at the stopsign in our complex, i happened to be crossing the street right then and when i passed and the guy took off, illl be dammed if it didnt make that noise and it cut off right when he hit second gear, just like mine did. It would be interesting to know because it sounds like **** whether you are driving the car or hear it passing by.

If you figure it out, id like to know just for the curiosity of it all.

Have a good one.

Matt

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Pontisteve
5th Wheeling
I think it's either a transmission or a catalytic converter noise. I'll share it if I find out what it is.

If anybody else is having this problem, or knows what's causing it, please share!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Pontisteve
5th Wheeling
A little update... I was told by a former Ford tech of many years, that the noise was a common problem to the 4.6 engine. Apparently, there is timing chain guide wear, and the noise is the chain running across aluminum instead of the plastic guide. Can anybody else verify they've had this problem?

I would hate to tear the front of the motor down, only to find out he was wrong.