Technol B-100

Old 10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technol B-100

Has anyone ever used this yet? A guy that makes quite a bit of BD in our area gave some to my partner to try.
Here's the web site www.technol.com go to products and they have an MSDS on it along with other info. The only thing I couldn't find is how cold this stuff will let you go. It states that it lowers the cloud point 30*.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gun-Driver
Has anyone ever used this yet? A guy that makes quite a bit of BD in our area gave some to my partner to try.
Here's the web site www.technol.com go to products and they have an MSDS on it along with other info. The only thing I couldn't find is how cold this stuff will let you go. It states that it lowers the cloud point 30*.
First I've heard of it. Just went to their site, and it looks very promissing!

Will order some tomorrow, and try some cloud, and pour point tests.

FABMSNDELUX.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
My partner said it was about 17.50 a quart!! Sounds a little steep. But he said he wasn't sure of that price.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:32 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
My partner said it was about 17.50 a quart!! Sounds a little steep. But he said he wasn't sure of that price.
If it works as stated, thats CHEAP!

If mixed at their 1-750 ratio, one gallon will treat 750 gallons. If you figure the cost by the gallon at 75%, thats approx $35/ gallon, or $.21/ gallon of treated fuel!

Well worth the cost for us folks up north, since my fuel cost is about $.40 per gallon, that would make my final cost $.61 per gallon. Not bad for a 30 deg drop in cloud point!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Quick update:

I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday with their Tech Dept. They sent out 1 gallon of the new product to me at no cost, for testing. I've also received their wholesale pricing sheet. I must say this is very doable, looks like the cost per gallon treated is between 6-8 cents. The only problem I forsee is they have no west coast distribution. So I am talking to them about becoming their west coast stocking distributor. All this is conditional upon the sucessfull completion of my test trials. Will keep everybody up to date.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Let me know because if it doesn't work out with the west coast distributor thing maybe I can get an east coast contract and hook you up.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Let me know because if it doesn't work out with the west coast distributor thing maybe I can get an east coast contract and hook you up.
Thanks, but I've already worked out a deal with Technol, But it is not going to happen if their product fails my testing. I won't sell something that won't work!

If the testing shows that it is a quality product then we will aquire the west cost distrubution rights, order a load, and make it availible on this coast.

I already own a company that could step up and do this, but before I commit the $$$, I want to be completely happy with the product. There are a lot of "snake-oil" salesman out there...............I checked into this company, and they have been around a long time, this is but one of a full line of products they sell.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:05 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just make sure it is not another company similar to Diesel Secret, they got my money, but at least I stopped myself before they got my engine!

Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received my sample of Technol B100 today, and will start the cloud, and gell tests tomorrow. Should be able to post the results on Monday.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Ok, preliminary results are in. On the animal fat biodiesel, nothing,nada, no change in cloud point or gel point.

I don't have any "cleaned" biodiesel right now [waiting for more Magnesol], so tried some fresh "uncleaned" bio. Result: The untreated bio "control" gelled at 28 deg F, the sample treated with Technol B100 remained clear to 20 deg, at 18 deg was just starting to cloud up. By 16 deg it had jelled.

I'm very encouraged by the results. My load of Magnesol should be here by the end of next week. At that time I'll retry the experiments, but I think it has the potential to decrease the gel-point even further with the impurities removed.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
It looks like animal fat based BD is bad news in cold weather

Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
It looks like animal fat based BD is bad news in cold weather
All animal fat based biodiesel has a higher gel-point. This sample is from the Wilder, Idaho plant. It's normal, untreated, gel point is 45 deg F.

Technol told me they have not run any trials on fat based bio, so were not sure how it would react.

I've been experimenting with it tho, and I think I have a formula that will allow it's use down to about 10 deg F.

Sure wish I had time to finish my "cold" chamber, It will have a window so I can take pics of the sample, and control the temp better than the freezer I use now.

So many projects, so little time.................

FABMANDELUX.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:32 PM
DUMSWEDE.1
New User
Have any of the above mentioned tests on the measured cloud/pour point of bio diesel as modified by B-100 showed their relation to the advertised specs put out by Technol? Assuming a close correlation, where you suggest a reasonably priced point of purchase?
Thanks
Dumswede.1

Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DUMSWEDE.1
Have any of the above mentioned tests on the measured cloud/pour point of bio diesel as modified by B-100 showed their relation to the advertised specs put out by Technol? Assuming a close correlation, where you suggest a reasonably priced point of purchase?
Thanks
Dumswede.1

The tests I've done so far are inconclusive. The test chamber I used was too crude. I'm building a new testing chamber and will run the tests again. My preliminary tests showed a reduction of at least 10-12 deg F. There is only one supplier to date, and that is the factory in New Jersey: http://www.technol.com/ If the new tests come out OK my company is set to become the west coast distributor of their product.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
DUMSWEDE.1
New User
Thanks for the rapid reply. Just received a quart of B-100 today and plan a parallel test testing both cloud point and pour point. Will advise when consistent results are obtained. Has anyone run any of the tests specified by ASTM 6751.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technol B-100