Newbie Questions Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
scooter80
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Questions Biodiesel

So I think I know mostly what's what and want to start using the BD, but have a few questions first. I'm sure they've been asked a hundred times, but I just can't seem to find them. Maybe a sticky on this forum page with a how-to on getting started using BD in a PSD would be helpful. I have a 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD.

Anyways:

1. I have heard with BD, modifications need to be made to remove any rubber from the fuel tracts due to BD being a rubber solvent of sorts. Does this still apply? Would it to my truck? And does it apply to typical mixes, say B20, or B10?

2. Is there a place to find typical gel points of common mixes?

3. How about finding filling stations in a particular area that carry BD?

4. Is BD useable in a modified truck? i.e. Edge Evolution and Juice.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scooter80
So I think I know mostly what's what and want to start using the BD, but have a few questions first. I'm sure they've been asked a hundred times, but I just can't seem to find them. Maybe a sticky on this forum page with a how-to on getting started using BD in a PSD would be helpful. I have a 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L PSD.

Anyways:

1. I have heard with BD, modifications need to be made to remove any rubber from the fuel tracts due to BD being a rubber solvent of sorts. Does this still apply? Would it to my truck? And does it apply to typical mixes, say B20, or B10?

2. Is there a place to find typical gel points of common mixes?

3. How about finding filling stations in a particular area that carry BD?

4. Is BD useable in a modified truck? i.e. Edge Evolution and Juice.

Thanks for all the help!
Welcome to FTE
1. Ford changed to synthetic lines in 1994, so you need no mods.
2. You won't need to worry about gel points if you use commercial fuel in B-2, B-5, or B-20. Gel point is only a problem if you run B-100, Soy based B100 gels at about 32-36 deg, Canola based B100 gels at about 25-30 deg.
3. http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...lfuelingsites/
4. Yes you can run Bio in modded engines!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 PM
scooter80
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Fab,
This is all great news! Can't wait to stop relying so much on the conglomerates! Looks like there's a fillup with B11 near one of the area shopping holes! Can't wait to try it out, especially with the ULSD making it's appearance in my area, I have been concerned with the lack of lubricity everyone's chattering about.

Anyways, thanks again for the help!