Bio-diesel and Diesel Kleen ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio-diesel and Diesel Kleen ?

First off, if this has been posted before, I apologise(sp?). I did a search and didn't find anything.

I bought my first tank of B-20 yesterday. It was only 2 cents more expensive than regular diesel so I figured I might as well try it out.

My questions are:
1) Is Diesel Kleen compatible with bio-diesel? Do I even need it? I've always added 16 oz. to every tank full (except in winter). I didn't add any this time in case it wasn't.

2) What about using anti-gel in the winter? Any special considerations I should know about when using bio-diesel in cold weather?

Thanks.
Howard

Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by atomicglock
First off, if this has been posted before, I apologise(sp?). I did a search and didn't find anything.

I bought my first tank of B-20 yesterday. It was only 2 cents more expensive than regular diesel so I figured I might as well try it out.

My questions are:
1) Is Diesel Kleen compatible with bio-diesel? Do I even need it? I've always added 16 oz. to every tank full (except in winter). I didn't add any this time in case it wasn't.

2) What about using anti-gel in the winter? Any special considerations I should know about when using bio-diesel in cold weather?

Thanks.
Howard
You won't need Diesel Kleen with biodiesel at all. Using B-20 will have no gelling problems either! It is only with higher consentrations of biodiesel that blending is needed.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 AM
atomicglock
Senior User
COOL!! So, depending on how much more B-20 is over regular diesel, I might actually save some money. Thanks

Howard

Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
COOL!! So, depending on how much more B-20 is over regular diesel, I might actually save some money.
Yeah,
you can save a little money, support American Farmers, and help the enviornment. win win win if you ask me.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
pile_53574
Senior User
Question

How's about a B5 blend would you still add a little Diesel Kleen??

Old 10-09-2006, 09:05 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pile_53574
Nope! Just 2 percent Biodiesel increases the lubricity of dinodiesel by 65 PERCENT......And it will clean out the fuel system.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:06 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
i don't think you need to add any DK if you are using B5. they say that even as little as 2% bio replaces the lubricty lost in low sulfer fuel these days. Check out this LINK they have alot of info regarding this question.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Experiment. Try different ratios. You may find you don't need it but you may also find you get a little better MPG if you do. The key is to document. That's why I use the oil I do and change it when I do and why I buy my fuel and additives where I do. It may or may not be the lowest cost per gallon (or quart in the case of oil) but over time I've found a combination that offers a lower total cost of ownership.

Just my 2¢.

jimbo

Old 10-10-2006, 09:30 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Wait, I always thought bio gelled up something terrible in the winter months?

Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FARM69
Wait, I always thought bio gelled up something terrible in the winter months?
I have been using B-80 the last 2 winters [never got below 10 above tho] with 0 problems. If I see the forecast going lower than that this winter, I'll blend down to B-60. The tests I've run on the bio we produce here on the ranch show that B-60 will not start to gel untill about -5 deg.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
FARM69
Postmaster
Hmm... Thats very strange. Its nearly impossible to run soy diesel here in the winter (in Iowa). I still have about 45 gal to use up so I'm getting a little concerned since I have no big trips in the future. Maybe its the kind of bio? Just a thought.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
I am currently running B-80 here in Pa. I would like to continue that ratio through the winter. I take several trips to Canada during the winter where the temps can drop below zero. Will running DK with that blend be suffficient.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
I'm pretty sure it depends on what kind of bio your using. I've done a little research on it and it seems like the soy gells at a higher temp than others. Which sucks because a lot of machines use it and for the tax break we get. Running DK will help it from gelling, but as far as 80% bio I don't know how much you will have to tank mix.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
If you blend the soy base BD with #2 you can drop the gel point.

It might be a good idea to experiment with various blends to see what works.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:40 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FARM69
Hmm... Thats very strange. Its nearly impossible to run soy diesel here in the winter (in Iowa). I still have about 45 gal to use up so I'm getting a little concerned since I have no big trips in the future. Maybe its the kind of bio? Just a thought.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...t-trouble.html Post #5.

Any bio will be ok if you blend #1-#2 with it. Just put some in a jar with a thermometer in it, and put it in your fridge. Check it often and when you see it just start to cloud up, you've found the gel-point. Try different blends till you find a mix that stays cloud free at the temp you need and you are set.

FABMANDELUX.

Quick Reply: Bio-diesel and Diesel Kleen ?