6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CJ-4 Motor Oil - Is It Better... I think so from what I have read!!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
CJ-4 Motor Oil - Is It Better... I think so from what I have read!!

In October 2006, the oil industry will release the new diesel oil spec of CJ-4 which will be required for diesel motors with the new particulate filters scheduled for 2007, but some may be launched in 2008 (depends on manufacture).

So far, I have seen internet info for Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, and Chevron. It appears that the new CJ-4 oil spec is better than the current CI4+ oil spec in every way... and is mandated for new motors, but performs better and protects better than the current oil spec in older diesel motors!!!

I am considering switching from Rotella-Syn (5W-40) to one of the new oils with CJ-4 specs as they offer protection like CI4+ if not better???

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/lub...elvac_news.asp

CUT & PASTE FROM THE MOBIL SITE ABOVE:
With more than 7 million miles of extensive field testing behind it, the new formulation of Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 will exceed category requirements for soot control, wear protection, oil consumption and deposit control. The new formulation will be backwards compatible and meet the requirements of API CI-4 and CI-4 PLUS, and will deliver significant performance enhancement compared to API CI-4 PLUS technology, helping to extend the life of both new and older engines, as well as new emissions after-treatment systems.

In addition to its reformulated Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, in October ExxonMobil will introduce a new member to its Mobil Delvac line, Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40, which will exceed the API CI-4 Plus specification.

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...motoroils.shtm

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...OCJ4_05-06.pdf

CUT & PASTE FROM CHEVRON SITE ABOVE:
API CJ-4 is the most robust engine oil category ever developed. This category
was tested with limited sulfated ash, phosphorous and sulfur using nine fired engine tests and six bench tests. API CJ-4 engines oils will be reformulated with lower ash levels to meet the 2007 limits and to ensure that the DPF system does not require maintenance prior to the EPA’s required 150,000-mile
service interval. Changes are effective October 15, 2006.

http://www.imakenews.com/rotella/e_a....cfm?x=b6Rk9cm

http://www.rotella.com/CJ4/new_oils.php

CUT & PASTE FROM SHELL WEBSITE ABOVE:
To account for this, CJ-4 oils will be significantly better in:
1)Wear control
2) Deposit control
3) Oxidation stability (resistance to breakdown at high temperatures)

MY CONCLUSIONS...
As much as I like synthetic motor oil and have been happy with my brand of choice, I am considering switching to the new CJ-4 oil spec (which will only be available as a dino oil at first)!! I believe from what I have read on the internet and in the October 2006 issue of Diesel Power magazine, that the CJ4 spec is as good, if not better, than a synthetic oil of the older CI4+ spec!!!!

In the magazine, they showed how this oil produces less of everything and leaves one's motor cleaner... even with older/current motors. Since I personally live in Kansas City, and can get by without 5W-40 synthetic... I believe that CJ4 will provide many benefits for my motor that 5W-40 synthetic can not (due to the older spec).

Not trying to start an oil war or brand war... but looking to compare the best synthetic CI4+ 5W-40 motor oil to the new CJ-4/Dino 15W-40 motor oil... due to the new oil spec being better?

Tried to post/link the main major brands that will launch their new oil around October 15, 2006... when the new oil spec is official.

Comments????

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 09-21-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Amsoil Oils Meeting CJ-4 Specs - Are There Any??

Just to be fair... I can find no information about Amsoil oils meeting or even developing a CJ4 spec'd oil??? Does anyone have any information or know where to look? Some of the sites/forums that come up when you "Google" Amsoil CJ4.... produces some results where people state that only API certified oils meeting CJ4 specs (for new 2007 trucks) is mandated and that Amsoil will not have such????

But again, I am trying to be fair and ask any Amsoil sellers/marketeers and lovers if they can produce any information about this new oil spec at Amsoil??? Curious, since none of the big boy oil companies have a synthetic version or a cold temp viscosity oil of 5W-40.

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,380 Likes on 2,079 Posts
As always your on top of new information, Thanks for the reading material...

Old 09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
As always your on top of new information, Thanks for the reading material...
Glad you liked it...

Old 09-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great info Jeff. If I can find CJ-4 Delvac, Delo or Rotella, that's what I'll buy for my PSD. I have no 'Big Oil' brand loyalty whatsoever when it comes to lubrication. Though I'm still amazed that Delvac syn is so darn difficult to find in gallon jugs except online! If I can only convince my Wife that I need a 55 gallon drum of the stuff....

Old 09-21-2006, 11:52 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
But again, I am trying to be fair and ask any Amsoil sellers/marketeers and lovers if they can produce any information about this new oil spec at Amsoil??? Curious, since none of the big boy oil companies have a synthetic version or a cold temp viscosity oil of 5W-40.
Be prepared for ... "It has met he CJ-4 spec for over a year now, and even meets CK-4+..."

Thanks for the great info - I'm in your boat - running Rotella Syn for the winter, but hoping they update it to CJ-4 soon. May have to try one of the CJ-4 dino's in the spring though.

Mark

Old 09-22-2006, 01:40 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff,

Great informative post. You are always staying on the cutting edge of the best way to take care of these motors and our trucks

Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
I started a similar thread over in the oil forum, and I'm with you 100% -- I think the CJ-4 oils will be a real value for what you get, and I plan to switch as soon as they come out...

Thanks for posting the links/info....

Old 09-22-2006, 06:57 PM
mjlevi
Senior User
I will be willing to bet that the new CJ-4 oils will be available as a synthetic soon after the release of the CJ-4 dino's, just wait and see !! I presently use Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme formula 5w-40 synthetic, I have noticed mileage gains, however my engine noise seems to be somewhat louder than with previous 15w-40 oils...

Old 09-22-2006, 11:36 PM
JORYLEE76
Elder User
Diesel Kleen Oil Additive ??

Thanks for the Updated info. Im getting ready to do my 10k oil change so ill find some of this CJ4 oil (no brand loyality either) and use it. I do have a Question?? I bought some of the (Diesel Kleen) oil additive. Has anyone used this, and whats the over all opinion on using this. thanks.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by JORYLEE76
Thanks for the Updated info. Im getting ready to do my 10k oil change so ill find some of this CJ4 oil (no brand loyality either) and use it. I do have a Question?? I bought some of the (Diesel Kleen) oil additive. Has anyone used this, and whats the over all opinion on using this. thanks.
I am NOT a fan or oil additives. They dilute and throw off the delicate balance of the additive package that has been engineered into the oil. Using a name brand, high quality oil that meets of exceeds what your truck needs is ALL you need.

In this case, use a quality diesel oil that is CI4+ rated, or better yet, wait for the new CJ4 (API certified) oil that is due out on 10/16 and use with confidence.

Even though I use Diesel Kleen fuel additives, I would never use an oil additive... as it would also through off all your oil analysis reports if you do any?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow ?

So Beech, what does your Oil Testing Lab offer on this topic? They have any opinons?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
So Beech, what does your Oil Testing Lab offer on this topic? They have any opinons?
What topic are your speaking of.... the CJ oil spec or oil additives?

I use Blackstone Labs and they do not have any CJ4 oil to test or compare since it is not yet available? They do not have enough sampling yet to compare. My research on CJ4 oil is from the internet and various oil companies websites.

As far as oil additves go... I visit the "Bob is the oil Guy" site and he has a link to a test he did on Lucas oil additives and how it foams and makes the oil worse!!! The addition of additves to a base oil product throws off the balance of the additives and adds in components not needed or not compatiable. The problem with a Powerstroke is that the oil is used to fire the injectors and oil additives were not designed for this use!!!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow

I was referring to the new oil. Thought they might have gotten their hands on data, product, whatever to have an opinion.

I agree w/ u on the additives issue.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
I was referring to the new oil. Thought they might have gotten their hands on data, product, whatever to have an opinion.

I agree w/ u on the additives issue.
Have not called Blackstone in the last few weeks, but from what I read in some of the magazines that CJ4 oil may work as good, if not better than the current CI4+ synthetics!!!!

Obviously, oil companies will release synthetic versions of this new spec (at some time) and will charge even more of a premium for it... but it appears (on the surface) that the new oil spec is a big step forward in oil technology for diesel motors!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CJ-4 Motor Oil - Is It Better... I think so from what I have read!!