Can you say SCORE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking Can you say SCORE!!!!

You guys are gonna love this! I have been waiting for a call out of Seattle, and got it today. I just scored a Gas Chromatograph AND an Ion Chromatograph for FREE!!!

Now I can do CG testing of Biodiesel in my shop! Nothing like getting 2 pieces of lab equip, worth $30,000 EACH, for 0$!!!

A friend told me
of a testing lab in Seattle that was getting out of organic testing and wanted to give them away, so after a few phone calls.............they called me today and said "come and get them".

So....................After I get them down here, and get trained in their use, I'll figure out the cost in gasses and chemicals and will try and test for anybody that want's their Bio tested, at cost.

FABMANDELUX.

Last edited by fabmandelux; 09-20-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy cow!!! My man you are the undisputed king of SCORE!!! Congratulations.

Is lab providing the operational training or will you be self educated?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Holy cow!!! My man you are the undisputed king of SCORE!!! Congratulations.

Is lab providing the operational training or will you be self educated?

A little of both, the equipment comes with a ton of acc and the training and operating manuals. Plus, a professor friend of mine at the University of Idaho offered a whole days training on their CG unit [which is the same!]. Am I good or what.................Troy, eat your heart out

Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
BLACK 6
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any salt?..............................

Ya' know, so you can pour t onto the wounds?

Nice score, I am jelious.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What type of gasses do you need?

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
You guys are gonna love this! I have been waiting for a call out of Seattle, and got it today. I just scored a Gas Chromatograph AND an Ion Chromatograph for FREE!!!

Now I can do CG testing of Biodiesel in my shop! Nothing like getting 2 pieces of lab equip, worth $30,000 EACH, for 0$!!!

A friend told me
of a testing lab in Seattle that was getting out of organic testing and wanted to give them away, so after a few phone calls.............they called me today and said "come and get them".

So....................After I get them down here, and get trained in their use, I'll figure out the cost in gasses and chemicals and will try and test for anybody that want's their Bio tested, at cost.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:17 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He'll need helium and methane. If you know any people who work for a nat gas pipeline as a measurement tech. up in your neck of the woods, it will be a piece of cake getting it set up.

Ryan

Old 09-23-2006, 06:53 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Helium is readily available from any welding or medical gas supplier.
Since most methane has an additive to give it the smell we associate with gas, it is not reagent grade and that is what you will need. I would check with other labs in the area that have gas chromatographs any university would be a sure bet.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 09-23-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:23 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
We got all of our gases from a welding supply store. That may be because of the vast presence of Chromatographs in this area. We also got our air and methane for calibrating our gas dectors and emissions equipment locally as well.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:37 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Got it covered, the units came with 6 bottles of gasses. My Prof buddy at the University of Idaho put me in touch with their supplier so I have a source for more.

Tough waiting till Oct 6, to get them tho..........My brother-in-law is picking up the units Tue, but I can't get up to Seattle till the 6'th to pick them up, Still in the middle of fall planting........................My canola is popping up in rows already!

FABMANDELUX.

Last edited by fabmandelux; 09-23-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:12 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I was ignoring you for a while, You guys say he is the King of Score? You havent seen his place. Kings are pawns to that statement. He is the Emperor of the milkyway score. You still have not answered my question about gel temps. did you read my posting? Oh thats right, your prof Fabman to other sites . I have been spreading the word and now I have a farmer down here in AZ that im trying to convince. Im just a phone call away from the contract for Vegas pickup and disposal of wvo and 7 independent contracts here. Just stuck on the money thing. Cant grow any of it

Old 09-25-2006, 11:40 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Yeah I was ignoring you for a while, You guys say he is the King of Score? You havent seen his place. Kings are pawns to that statement. He is the Emperor of the milkyway score. You still have not answered my question about gel temps. did you read my posting? Oh thats right, your prof Fabman to other sites . I have been spreading the word and now I have a farmer down here in AZ that im trying to convince. Im just a phone call away from the contract for Vegas pickup and disposal of wvo and 7 independent contracts here. Just stuck on the money thing. Cant grow any of it
Ignore ME! Just wait till you get my bill for CG testing

And I can't help it if people give me neat "stuff"

I guess I musta missed your post............old age............

Great news about your bio plans, maybe we can get you off the road after all!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Im in need of a few REAL tanks. We dont have much use for outside fuel tanks here in AZ and we would rather be ripped off on nat gas, water, nuclear, and the extremly expensive solar plan out here. I cant bring one from back east because of my inability to forsee a bumperpull or 5th wheel. I would like to score a upright tank smaller than big fuel depo but bigger than a propane tank. Plus a old propane tank for vacuum. I need to know what the gel point is that youve experienced for a guy in Idaho and I will need to call and pick your brain on the vacuum tank again.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Im in need of a few REAL tanks. We dont have much use for outside fuel tanks here in AZ and we would rather be ripped off on nat gas, water, nuclear, and the extremly expensive solar plan out here. I cant bring one from back east because of my inability to forsee a bumperpull or 5th wheel. I would like to score a upright tank smaller than big fuel depo but bigger than a propane tank. Plus a old propane tank for vacuum. I need to know what the gel point is that youve experienced for a guy in Idaho and I will need to call and pick your brain on the vacuum tank again.
The gel point on the animal fat bio is 42 deg F, the bio made from unused canola is 34 deg, and the bio made from the mixture I use is 25-28 deg. All of them at the B-100 level.

Just got a new [to me!] "pressure-pot" style paint tank, 400 gal [ it came off one of those highway striping trucks] that I'm going to use for my new vacume tank. This tank should allow me to remove the Methanol from my biodiesel in larger batches. And yes, the tank was FREE . They even delivered it to me!

I'm working on getting a centrifuge, and a 10kw water still now..................

FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:22 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
do you sleep?

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
The gel point on the animal fat bio is 42 deg F, the bio made from unused canola is 34 deg, and the bio made from the mixture I use is 25-28 deg. All of them at the B-100 level.

Just got a new [to me!] "pressure-pot" style paint tank, 400 gal [ it came off one of those highway striping trucks] that I'm going to use for my new vacume tank. This tank should allow me to remove the Methanol from my biodiesel in larger batches. And yes, the tank was FREE . They even delivered it to me!

I'm working on getting a centrifuge, and a 10kw water still now..................

FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:27 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by willbd
do you sleep?
Not much Slept a lot when I was younger......passed out a lot too

So much to do.....So little time.

FABMANDELUX.

Quick Reply: Can you say SCORE!!!!