1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

ABS light keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Lynch02
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS light keeps coming on

I have a 1997 Ranger XL 4X4 3.0. For some reason the ABS light in the dash keeps coming on. It does not flash, when its on it stays on. It seems to come on intermitently only when I start the truck. I would say that at this point it comes on about 80% of every time I start the truck. Sometimes it does not come on at all. I know I only have ABS in the rear and that when the light is on constant, the computer disables the ABS system which is fine by me. The brakes seem to work fine otherwise. I would like to fix the truck correctly but am not willing to pay the dealership big dollars for something I don't really want. If its just a part I can replace myself thats great, if not, is there a way to shut the damn dash light off. That is just annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks for any help

Old 08-16-2006, 10:39 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the ABS codes pulled...I'm fairly sure Autozone could do that for free...if you can find someone who knows how.

Sounds like the ABS module or possibly the valve.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
MazdaRangerGuy
Elder User
Autozone won't pull codes for a rear whell abs ranger.. you have to jumper an electrical connector by the brake pedal to make the light flash.

Unfortunately, there probably won't be codes unless it's acting up at the time, as if I recall, that system doesn't "store" codes.

Good luck

Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
When you do the code pulling for this, the key has to be in the run position otherwise the codes Will be Erased. After doing this you have to locate the RABS ii black diagnostic connector, then disconnect it.
Then you have to attach a Fused jumper to the BLK/OG wire of the Wire side of the 2-halves of the mating connectors.
After attaching, to the one side of the halves- you need to ground the other side.
Then you should start to see the ABS light blink.
Then jus' count the number of flashes.
**note: you will have to count the short flashes and the Long flash that should follow.

Then in order to clear the DTC codes, you need to turn the ignition off while the two-halves of the connector are apart. Then re-assemble. ** I would not erase these codes if you have not figured out why the light originally came on.**

Old 08-23-2006, 01:51 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
After saying all that, the only way you'll see any codes, is if the ABS light was lit everytime you cranked. If the light comes and goes, you may not find anything under the first few attempts. IF anything is there....

Old 08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Lynch02
New User
I don't think I have the proper tools to do the jumper tests. 99 Trigger could you explain what a "Fused Jumper" is. Unfortunatley most of your first post is lost on me. I get the basics what I need to do, but not real sure about the tools or procedure (attach a Fused jumper to the BLK/OG wire of the Wire side of the 2-halves of the mating connectors.
After attaching, to the one side of the halves- you need to ground the other side.)
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Hopefully I will be able to figure this out.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:41 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
BLK/OG wire of the Wire side of the 2-halves of the mating connectors.
The wire side was simply referring to the wire used for diagnostics. The wire you need to use on the connector (male-side) should be the BLK/OG striped wire-

--->**If my memory serves me right the opposite side of the connector (female-side) wire color is Red. **If you ground this side you will blow a fuse.**<---

"Fused Jumper"
Jumper wire with a inline fuse (10A)

So its..
  • Ignition-> RUN
  • Locate and disconnect RABs connector
  • Attach one end of a fused jumper to the BLK/OG striped wire of the connector
  • Attach the other end to a ground
  • Count short and long flashes
Then post the flash counts here...and we'll go from there....

Old 08-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Lynch02
New User
I can do that! I think I even have a fused jumper. I'll let you know.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Lynch02
New User
I can't seem to find any connector with a Black/Orange stipe wire. Could you give me some kind of general area to look in. I have looked under the dash and have seen multiple connectors but none with that color wire. I have also looked under the hood around the brake resevior with the same result. Any idea what color this connector will be (Black, Blue, Gray) and how many wires per side will be there (lots of wires or just a few)
I really appreciate all of you trying to help, Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 12:18 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
It should be a black connector,
Behind the right-under side of the dash

**You can maybe trace it... while your in there getting familiar. It goes from the ABS module behind the lower center dash area to the "fuse-box"**
One side of the connector will have a red wire the other half of the connector will be Blk/ORG

Old 08-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Lynch02
New User
Ok I found it behind the passenger side kick panel. Tested it and it flashed 12 short flashes then 1 long. Then starts all over again 12 short flashes and 1 long.

Old 08-26-2006, 12:13 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
DTC 13... Sorry to say points to the ABS Module behind the lower center section of the dash.

***Before pulling this module, there is a ground for this. It should be on the Left side of the Upper radiator support. Check this. (ground 108)

***You should also check the wiring harness to the module.

We'll start with this first. I can't see the module being "Bad"... But it is a possiblilty, at this point.

Old 08-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Lynch02
New User
I could only find one ground on the radiator support, near the battery tray. It was intact and the wires looked good. Where abouts is the ABS module? Is it under the dash or under the hood? Not sure exactly where to look for it or even what I would be looking for. I have priced them on the internet and it looks like they go for $110 - $140, does this sound about right?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
If you have not checked the connections at the module, now would be the good time. Double / Triple check the conditions of the connectors. (Check for looseness, Yanked wires, corroded connectors, etc.)

Once you feel that you have checked everything......
The module is going to be in the center dash area-
You have to remove your radio and the center trim panel.
After removing, you should see the module on the right side of the opening (bolted-in)

It should be a "long" rectangular box with a few connectors on the top side.

**After you pop off the center cluster you should be looking at the side profile of the module.**

When you do the swap, don't forget to run another diagnostic check. You should get a return code of 16. (Fifteen short-flashes and One Long flash)

Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Lynch02
New User
Sorry to take so long to get back in this post. I have temporarily taken care of this problem. I priced new ABS modules first from ford ($236) Then from Advance auto parts ($158). I discoved that if you simply disconnect the ABS Module from the wiring harness the light on the dash goes out and the brakes work fine (without ABS of course).

Thanks for the help