Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Antifreeze in my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Banshee426
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antifreeze in my oil.

My powerstroke started to get hot so I pulled over and found that the antifreeze container under the hood was empty, so I filled it up and drove it slowly back home 30 miles. By the time I got home the container was about empty again. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was green tinted. It doesn't appear to be burning the antifreeze. I'm needing some help as to what direction to go in. I can't afford to go to the ford garage cause I'm going thru a divorce, so I'm gonna have to fix it myself. Can the injector well o-rings leak antifreeze by to mix with the oil. If it were a head gasket I would think I'd be burning antifreeze. Please help! thanks.....

Old 08-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope it's the Engine Oil coller on the drivers side of the engine in need of new seals.
If not, it's a head gasket. You can see the cooler thru the wheel well. About 2-3 in diameter about 8-10 long

Get that antifreeze out of the engine ASAP. Not nice on the bearings.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I too hope it is the oil cooler Orings. I believe it can also get there if you have a faulty or corroded injector cup in the head. Or was that just for fuel in the oil or vice versa? Somebody else will chime in to confirm or deny that possibility. Good luck with it.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 PM
wolftan
Senior User
How can you get the cooler out?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wolftan
How can you get the cooler out?
Not too difficult but a little messy. It's easier to work through the wheel well.

Drain the engine coolant.

Remove the marmon clamp from the turbocharger exhaust outlet pipe. You can skip this step if you're careful when raising the engine.

Raise vehicle.

Raise engine enough to clear the mount.

Remove the oil filter.

Remove the engine block heater electrical connector.

Remove the two left engine mount to bracket bolts.

Remove the oil cooler front header retaining bolts.

Remove the oil cooler rear header retaining bolts.

Reposition the engine assembly using a suitable jack.

Remove the oil cooler and gaskets from vehicle.

Installation
Install the engine oil cooler, rear gasket and three rear bolts to snug.

Install the oil cooler front header gasket and two retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 32 Nm (24 lb-ft).

Lower the engine in its original position.

Install two engine mount to bracket bolts, tighten bolts to standard torque.

Tighten the three oil cooler rear header retaining bolts to 19 Nm (14 lb-ft).

Install the oil filter.

Connect the engine block heater electrical connector.

Lower vehicle.

Refill the engine cooling system.

Refill the engine oil.

Last edited by Cuda_jim; 08-11-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
This how to rebuild the oil cooler. Get the correct orings from Stealership or IHC, maybe online??

Disassembly

Gently rap front header and rear (oil filter) header to loosen O-rings. Twist oil cooler apart.

Clean oil cooler, front header and rear header thoroughly in suitable solvent. The oil cooler should be thoroughly flushed and drained to remove all residue within it.

Assembly

Use new O-rings when assembling oil cooler. Lubricate all O-ring mating surfaces and O-rings prior to assembly with clean engine oil.

Install the large O-rings on the oil cooler first, then install the small O-rings on the oil cooler.

Press assembly together, making sure locating clips align in slots and header is not cocked.

Test oil cooler before installing on engine.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:48 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Coolant pressure is too low for either of those scenarios...the pressure in the oil cooler will push oil into the coolant, and the injector cups will push fuel into the coolant. For the coolant to be escaping into the oil pan it is probably a pin hole in the front cover behind the water pump.

Oh...and welcome to FTE Banshee426.

Last edited by cookie88; 08-11-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Cookie I had this happen to a PSD.

QUote from the Ford manual,
Engine Oil Cooler

If oil is found in the cooling system, OR COOLANT FOUND IN THE OIL, the oil cooler should be checked for leakage as outlined under Oil Cooler Internal Leakage Test in the Service Procedures.

Apperantly the oil that is sent through the cooler is bled off and not pressurized as high as the pump can put out.

Last edited by Cuda_jim; 08-11-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the info.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Coolant pressure is too low for either of those scenarios...the pressure in the oil cooler will push oil into the coolant, and the injector cups will push fuel into the coolant. For the coolant to be escaping into the oil pan it is probably a pin hole in the front cover behind the water pump.
And thanks for that info Scott. I guess I could have thought that one out. So is there no possibility that it could be a head gasket or head like in gassers?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Banshee426
New User
Thanks Jim and Cookie, First thing I have to do is get good book. Where should I start? The oil cooler? Or the water pump? It drained the 1.5 gallons of coolant I put in in about 40 miles. Pretty good leak into my oil. Would this be a pinhole in the water pump itself or is there another plate behind that? Would it be like the timing plate cover on a gas motor? Thankx alot for your help..... I've rebuilt several older motors but never worked on a newer injected motor or a diesel. I really appreciate the help. >>Danny<<

Last edited by Banshee426; 08-11-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Coolant pressure is too low for either of those scenarios...the pressure in the oil cooler will push oil into the coolant,
Cookie, I know it doesn't make sense for coolant to enter the oiling system due to the pressure differential. The pin hole therory is a good one tho.

I found this in the Ford repair manual, here is a excerpt:
According to the following the oil splits into 2 directions during cold starts, hmmm.... Unfilter oil going to the engine!

The low-pressure lubricating system draws oil from the engine oil pan through the oil pump screen cover and tube, into the oil inlet passage in the front cover. The gerotor oil pump then pumps the oil back out through the outlet passage in the front cover. The oil separates into two paths. One flow path sends oil into the high-pressure pump reservoir initial feed galley (integral to the cylinder block) and through the anti-drain back check ball.

During cold start the oil feeds in two directions from the anti-drain back check ball.

One feed leaves the check ball and enters the front cover. From there it enters the high-pressure oil reservoir.

The second feed exits the check ball and enters the left bank valve lifter oil galley. After leaving the front cover outlet passage, the second oil path sends the oil through the oil cooler and filter assembly.

....continued but maybe doesn't pertain to this discussion:

Once inside the filter housing the oil filter bypass valve may open to vent excess pressure and oil back into the oil pan. After the oil has been circulated through the oil filter, the oil feed then enters the main oil galley (integral to the cylinder block). Once in the main oil galley the oil is routed to the five crankshaft main bearing through five drilled and machined feed galleys (integral to the cylinder block). The five camshaft bearings receive the oil feed through five vertical drilled and machined feed galleys connected to the main bearing feed galleys. The front main bearing feed galley also supplies oil to the right bank valve lifter oil galley through a vertically drilled and machined oil feed galley (integral to the cylinder block). The rear main bearing oil feed galley also supplies oil to the turbocharger assembly through a vertically drilled and machined oil feed galley (integral to the cylinder block). Pressurized oil entering the turbocharger assembly is utilized to actuate the exhaust back pressure warm-up system. The oil drains back through the turbocharger mounting pedestal and back into the oil pan. The valve lifter oil galley supplies pressurized oil to the valve tappet and to the piston cooling oil jets. Oil from the valve tappets is routed upward to the cylinder head valve train through hollow push rods. Once in the cylinder head, the oil drains back to the oil pan through return ports at each end of the cylinder head.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
I just found this in the manual too!
The injectors are getting unfiltered oil too!!!

High-Pressure System
During initial start or cold start the high-pressure oil pump receives unfiltered oil from the left side valve lifter oil galley through the anti-drain back check ball valve. Once the engine starts or during warm engine starts the check ball closes and the high-pressure oil pump receives filtered oil from the high-pressure oil pump reservoir......

Old 08-12-2006, 06:07 AM
dsldandually
Senior User
if you have lost that much coolant into your oil it should look like a chocolate milkshake

what does it smell like???? if it has a greenish tint to it it "could be fuel" if thats what color your fuel is.....mine aint

Last edited by dsldandually; 08-12-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Good point dsldan. Also, I would expect that the level on the dipstick to have come up substantially if all of that coolant was indeed going into the pan.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze in my oil.