Oil & Lubrication  

Max. oil temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's kind of what I was thinking. If that was the case, these modular motors with 5w20 should be taking themselves apart left and right, no?

Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Jim, so are you saying that modern engines have a design flaw the requires aftermarket products to fix?
I'm not saying anything. Just passing along information. This is a quote from the referenced web site. I checked a couple other sites, Gale Banks Engineering being one of them. The say approximately the same thing. Draw your own conclusions. jd

Last edited by jimdandy; 08-10-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdandy
I'm not saying anything. Just passing along information. This is a quote from the referenced web site. I checked a couple other sites, Gale Banks Engineering being one of them. The say approximately the same thing. Draw your own conclusions. jd
I disagree, you are saying something, that's why you put that post there. I have to assume that those sources you reference have their own reasons for the information that they post, possibly selling more aftermarket products. Let's face it, if they told you that your engine didn't need their stuff, you wouldn't buy it.

The ideal operating range for engine oil is 180°F through 200°F.
Below the boiling point of water? I'm surprised.

Oil that exceeds 220°F rapidly loses its ability to lubricate and cool causing accerlerated fatigue and premature component failure.
Cooler oil will certainly cool the engine better, and it may even be beneficial for other reasons. However, I'm willing to bet that the Engineers of these modern engines designed them to run at a certain temperature for a reason.
This may not be applicable to race engines that have their oil changed ever few hours of use, or in other specialty applications. I'm only referring to normal use in a modern stock vehicle.
Of course, now I'm just being argumentative.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I disagree, you are saying something, that's why you put that post there. I have to assume that those sources you reference have their own reasons for the information that they post, possibly selling more aftermarket products. Let's face it, if they told you that your engine didn't need their stuff, you wouldn't buy it.
I haven't been on this board very long. It seems to me to be very difficult to post something without getting some kind of glib, superfulous answer from someone. Crap gets old. If you don't know what I meant, you are dumber than dirt. You implied that my statement was my thoughts, which they were not, which I thought I explained.

Maybe what you say about the products is true, pure advertising hype, I don't know, and really don't care. Gale Banks orginization is a very reputable firm, and until I learn otherwise, I will take his information as correct. The man asked a question, I gave him information, and sourced it. He can make up his own mind.

On the other hand, I haven't seen anything from you, or anyone else disputing the figures, or substantuating your own. These figures have been around for years, and are nothing new.

The figures are for a stock engine, racing temps run much higher. jd

Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I wasn't trying to be glib, if I came across that way, I apologise. You are also correct that I haven't brought forward any references. I'll just restate my two main points and then anyone reading can draw their own conclusions.
- Water does get into oil under normal operation, and boiling it out at temps over 212F is an effective way to remove it.
- Modern engines are designed to operate using modern oils at temperatures between 220 and 295F (according to jimdandy, which I don't despute.)

At least this has been a good discussion that should help people think about oil temps and other related issues.