Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

dripping oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 PM
chuko1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dripping oil

oil is dripping from the supercharger of my 02 harley-davidson. i noticed it the other day. now the motor will not stay on . is the motor ruined or supercharger? what is going on?

Old 08-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by chuko1
oil is dripping from the supercharger of my 02 harley-davidson. i noticed it the other day. now the motor will not stay on . is the motor ruined or supercharger? what is going on?
Chances are.....

The oil pressure sending unit is detecting low pressure which will be monitored by the ECM and will shut the engine off prior to damage....MBG (my best guess)

Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 PM
chuko1
New User
Unhappy oil

why is oil dripping out of the supercharger?is it ruined or is motor ruined

Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
From where exactly on the S/C is the oil dripping?

Stewart

Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 AM
chuko1
New User
it is dripping right where the air intake sleave hooks up to it.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
it is dripping right where the air intake sleave hooks up to it.
There isn't any air intake sleeve attached to the S/C. Is it possible you're talking about the intake hose that attaches to the throttle body? The throttle body is attached to the upper plenum, and the upper plenum sits on top of the S/C.

Can you take pictures of where the leak is and post 'em?

Is the oil engine oil? If so, it sounds like you need an oil separator.

Stewart

Old 08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
chuko1
New User
Lightbulb thanks

oil separater , where can i get that from?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Some Lightning guys get the necessary parts from Lowes or Home Depot and make their own. But most guys just get the kit from Lightning Force Performance aka LFP.

While an oil sep is always good to have because it helps keep the IC clean (I can show you some nasty pictures of my IC before it was cleaned), we still need to address your original problem and figure out what is leaking and from where.

Is the S/C oil leaking from the snout? Or is it engine oil from the throttle body area?

Take some pictures and post them up.

Stewart

Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
chuko1
New User
Red face yes

it is dripping from the snout. i would post pics but it dont have a camera right now. thank s for the reply. i got it to run, some vacume hose's had come off. it seems to run fine now. but the oil presssure gauge reads slightly higher then i remeber. and oil is still coming out of snout and no where else right under butterflys the comes and dripps . oil level in motor is fine. the oil coming just from their

Old 08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
it is dripping from the snout. i would post pics but it dont have a camera right now. thank s for the reply. i got it to run, some vacume hose's had come off. it seems to run fine now. but the oil presssure gauge reads slightly higher then i remeber. and oil is still coming out of snout and no where else right under butterflys the comes and dripps . oil level in motor is fine. the oil coming just from their
I'm still not sure I am 100% about where the oil is coming from, because you first stated it's coming from the air intake sleeve (I think you mean the rubber elbow from the MAF to the throttle body) but then you say it's coming from the snout.

If your snout is leaking, you either need to tighten the reservoir cap where the S/C oil goes, or your gasket has failed and you need to pull the snout, clean the two surfaces, and use anaerobic gasket maker to reseal the snout.

You can use the regular aerobic-type RTV, but it takes longer to seal and set.

If you're leaking from where the throttle body is, it's due to the engine oil being sucked in by the S/C, a common problem with all Lightnings.

The small amount of oil wouldn't show as a loss on your dipstick since its a tiny amount. But the amount is enough to coat your throttle body, upper plenum, and intercooler with oil, and over time, that builds up.

Stewart

Old 08-12-2006, 09:32 AM
evo
New User
I had the same issue, oil in the TB. I used a L&S oil seperater. Kind of expensive but it worked. No oil seperater will keep 100% of the oil out. The only way to do that is to completely isolate the system and install breathers.