1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Pressure sensors TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
bigfishford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure sensors TPMS

Can someone please explain why if the OEM sensor is in an 18" wheel a fault light comes on after 150 miles driving, but when in a 17" wheel no light? Can this be reset? I switched to 18" lincoln wheels and have this problem. Everything was okay at first, but then a fault came on after a while. I know that the wheels/tires are 0.5" taller than the OEM now due to being 18 instead of 17 with 70 series tires.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
I can tell you that the Navigator and the Expedition use the same part number for the wheel sensor 5L1Z-1A150-AA, here are a few things I copied from manual and should help you.

Ed

NOTE: The vehicle is equipped with a light blue-colored tire pressure sensor. When installing new components, use only this tire pressure sensor.

CAUTION: If the valve stem core has been removed from the valve stem, reinstall the original valve stem core. If the original valve stem core is damaged, a nickel-plated core must be installed. Failure to use a nickel-plated core will result in corrosion and the possible loss of tire pressure.

The TPMS will not operate correctly if black-colored tire pressure sensors are installed.

NOTE: Sensor position is critical for correct sensor operation. The "flat" side of the sensor must be facing the wheel and the "slanted" side of the sensor must be facing away from the wheel. When correctly installed, there will be a very small gap between the sensor and the wheel.

Train the tire pressure sensors. For additional information, refer to Sensor Training component test in this section.

CAUTION: Electronic modules are sensitive to static electrical charges. If exposed to these charges, damage can result.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is integral to the vehicle security module (VSM) and is not serviced separately.

NOTE: A new VSM module is delivered in manufacturing mode with pre-set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These DTCs require that a particular set of operations to be carried out in order to clear them and enable the module for normal operations. The pre-set DTCs are as follows:

B2477 — Module Configuration Failure/Mismatch
B2868 — Left Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2869 — Right Front Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2870 — Left Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
B2871 — Right Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Fault
C2780 — ECU in Manufacturing Mode

NOTE: A re-configured VSM may also set the above codes and will need to go through the same set of procedures as a new module to enable normal operation.

NOTE: The steps included in the VSM removal and installation process are critical to restoring vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring system operations and will permit a new or reconfigured module to operate as intended. Each step is designed to carry out a particular operation and clear the manufacturing mode DTCs. Once these DTCs are cleared, the new or reconfigured module will enter into normal operating mode.

Principles of Operation

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four regular road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency (RF) signals, to the TPMS module (integral to the vehicle security module (VSM)), using the valve stem as an antenna. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS module (integral to VSM), compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If the module determines that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the module communicates this on the controller area network (CAN) to the instrument cluster, illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message center message.

The system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

Old 07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
bigfishford
Junior User
thanks fo the info, but.....

I do not have any acces to a computer to read TPMS codes, or the "magnet". I switched my 17" rims for an 18" set, both Ford OEM with the same sensors in them. The 18" were fine for 200 miles, now I have a "tire pressure sensor fault" light in the dash. Anyone have any ideas? These are all new sensors, some from 2005, the ones in the truck now from 2006. I want to avoid having to pull out another sensor from a 17" to put it in an 18" if I can!!!

What would happen if I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes?

Last edited by IB Tim; 11-29-2007 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
bigfish read this again!! and try it.....

Ed

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

Old 09-09-2006, 02:40 PM
RPar
Junior User
Unhappy HELP 22" RIM HELP ! HELP

Hi All,

I have a set of 22" inch Structure SA40-22x10 Chrome and I bought a set of TPS for Ford 2004 X I was told by the wheel shop that he can't put them on because of the design of the rim. Has any one ran in to this problem. And what can you do? HELP ! HELP !

Old 09-09-2006, 05:52 PM
blahboo
Freshman User
The only thing that you can do to get around this is buy the sensors that are sold on eBAY right now for this specific purpose. They have 90* angles on the sensors so that they can fint in a low profile tire.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM
RPar
Junior User
I have the OEM that Ford makes. Can you tell me the name and brand. My OEM are blacks.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM
RPar
Junior User
Question HELP 22" RIM HELP ! HELP

I have the OEM that Ford makes. Can you tell me the name and brand. My OEM are blacks.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 AM
05Navigator
New User
Originally Posted by bigfishford
Can someone please explain why if the OEM sensor is in an 18" wheel a fault light comes on after 150 miles driving, but when in a 17" wheel no light? Can this be reset? I switched to 18" lincoln wheels and have this problem. Everything was okay at first, but then a fault came on after a while. I know that the wheels/tires are 0.5" taller than the OEM now due to being 18 instead of 17 with 70 series tires.
Try retraining the sensors with the procedure provided. you do not need a computer. The vehicle messege center is all you need along with the training magnet.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi all. I wanted to share my experience about the TPMS sensors that I had. My truck is a 2004 Expedition build date of 11/03. I bought it used in May of 2006. This spring I ran over something and put a big hole in my front left tire. The message center showed tire system failure I think with the spare on.

I didn't want to patch the tire becasue of the size of the hole and being the cheapskate that I am, I didn't want to trash 3 tires with good tread. I had a used $15.00 tire that matched mounted by my local tire shop that I have done business with for years.

After putting the tire back on the truck, I got a tire pressure sensor fault.

Well, to put it simply, the guy who changed the tire for me must not know about the sensor. He slapped the tire on and the machine crushed the sensor. The sensor parts were still in the tire flopping around.

I took the truck to ford and I told my wife to not get it fixed if it cost over $150.00. I wasn't home when they called but they said it would cost about $165.00 to fix the sensor so my daughter told them to not do it. I went to pick up the truck and I still had to pay a $69.95 diagnostic fee.

After reading several posts at this board, I decided to try to buy a sensor and fix it myself. Just to let everyone know, my Expedition has the black sensor. I guess that the older ones are black and the newer ones are blue. I think the valvestem cap is different between the two colors.

Anyhow, I got a sensor from ebay and I broke the tire down and changed the sensor and pulled out the pieces of the old one. I have pics of the sensor at http://www.pcassistant.net/2004expedition.html if anyone is interested. I used the above listed procedure with an old round stereo magnet over each valvestem.

BTW, I did the training procedure with the sensor before putting it in the tire by setting it on top of the tire and doing the procedure. After completing it, it showed very low tire pressure on the screen.

Hope this helps some people out.

Kevin

Old 09-15-2006, 03:48 AM
05Navigator
New User
PHP Code:

BTW
I did the training procedure with the sensor before putting it in the tire by setting it on top of the tire and doing the procedureAfter completing itit showed very low tire pressure on the screen
You should have trained the sensors after they are mounted in the tire and inflated to recomended pressure. The way you trained the sensors was incorrect....

Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Phill Chilton
New User
Magnet

Hi Can anybody tell me where I can get one of these magnet in the UK??
My wife snapped the valve stem (don't ask!) off the wheel so I have had to get a new sensor! Which is interesting in its self. I order one from an online store in the US it cost me 128 USD with Shipping to the UK! I then find its got made in GB stamped on the Ford bag! So I find they are all made in the GB/UK at Schrader. Spoke with the technical guy at Schrader! Guess what ford picked the dumbest system to use!! All the other vehicles in EU use a system that auto learnes the minute you put the sensor in the wheel!!
Yes I have imported Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 05 from CA and yes gas is 9.80 USD a gallon today!!

Last edited by Phill Chilton; 11-28-2007 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 AM
05Navigator
New User
Originally Posted by Phill Chilton
Hi Can anybody tell me where I can get one of these magnet in the UK??
My wife snapped the valve stem (don't ask!) off the wheel so I have had to get a new sensor! Which is interesting in its self. I order one from an online store in the US it cost me 128 USD with Shipping to the UK! I then find its got made in GB stamped on the Ford bag! So I find they are all made in the GB/UK at Schrader. Spoke with the technical guy at Schrader! Guess what ford picked the dumbest system to use!! All the other vehicles in EU use a system that auto learnes the minute you put the sensor in the wheel!!
Yes I have imported Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 05 from CA and yes gas is 9.80 USD a gallon today!!
This is what I use on my navigator. I bought one from this guy on ebay. Works well
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVETTE-C5-Z-06-TIRE-PRESSURE-SENSOR-PROGRAMMING-TOOL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43958QQihZ015QQite mZ250190085259QQtcZphoto

Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 AM
04markIII
Elder User
i upgraded from 17" stock to the '06 f150 20" rims, and no problems yet. didn't even have to retrain the sensors.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
RPar
Junior User
Hi Phill,

I use a car speaker that had a magnet on it. Then I went to the drivers manual to read how to retrain you sensor. Do a search and someone posted how to retrain the sensor

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure sensors TPMS