Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

ford escape >> back door & glass wont open

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM
desertranger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail gate lock problem

I also had to replace the tail gate "handle/lock actuator". The actuator went bad however I was lucky as mine also has a key lock, it's a early 2001. The dealer got the part over night and an easy job to install. I guess at 148,000 miles things go bad also replaced the A/C compressor this month.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:47 PM
kaka123
New User
Unhappy Ford Tail gate

You would think that with so many people having the same problem, Ford would realize this is a real problem & could be a safety issue. I also just had a problem with the locks on both my front & back passenger doors & had to replace them. I also did research & this too is a very common problem with the Ford Escape's. Turns out the lock is made from a cheep plastic....way to go Ford! My neighbor bought her Escape exactly 1 week after I bought mine (both were bought brand new not 2nd hand), and exactly 1 week after my passenger door locks broke, her driver's side door lock broke. Very strange...........................Oh well, thanks for the reply, I just hope someone at Ford is reading these posts as well & hopefully they will do the right thing. Until then I am a prisoner to my Escape

Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
FordEscapeArtist
New User
A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!! To Dehamma. I had the same problem with my 2001 Ford Escape and had pretty much accepted it even though it was very aggrivating. Read through the thread here, and I got a crowbar and *gently* pulled out the plastic cover just from the top- it's still attached on the bottom- just enough so I could pull up on what I assumed was the lock (it has a white accordian plastic thing on it around a blackish metal peice. Pull up on it to unlock and push down on it to re-lock). Awesome!!!! Enabled me to dumpster dive just now. If I could pay you, I would. Want some chocolate chip cookies by mail?

Originally Posted by dehamma
I had the same problem with my '02 Escape. Get in the back and pull the interior panel off from the top. It is held on by insert clips. After that, your problem (or mine was) the actuator that lacks the glass and door. Just move the actuator rod up to allow thw latch to work. My actuator is bad so I left it up to use the hatch and glass, but I can't lock it until I replace the actuator.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
garfieldredden
New User
2001 ford escape rear door wont open

i did take panel off rear door from inside and moved the arm up with the black rubber on it.
door now stays unlook to i buy the part needed...
thanks for responce....

Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
asipes
New User
Easy, Free Fix!

I posted a fix for this earlier. I fixed mine free and the lock works like it should. No need to buy parts or anything...

Here's the link to another thread in this forum. I give step-by-step instructions how to fix it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...wont-open.html

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
hcole
New User
Asipes, I appreciate the link you showed about the Escape door latch. My problem was a bad motor (of which I have ordered) but while I was in there I decided to install a manual release. I used a 1/8" welding rod and drilled a hole in the offset part next to the plastic plunger hole for the actuator and bent a offset in the end of the rod and inserted it in the hole and then drilled a 1/8" hole in the plastic hatch cover right next to the window latch on the driver side. It now sticks up about 1/2" out of the plastic. You just pull the rod up to unlock the hatch and push down to lock the hatch. Works like a charm. Now if the new actuator decides not to work occasionally I'll still be able to reach across the back seat and manually unlock the door. Thank you again for the link to be able to access it.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Tammi
New User
Is it the actuator?

First of all thanks to everyone for posting here! My hatch wouldn't open but thanks to all of you I was able to get the hatch open and get the inside trim off. I also took off the piece on the outside of that hatch that houses the buttons - to check for loose wires, dust, etc. I was about to order a new actuator, but what confuses me is when I unplug the power from the door latch button, then plug it back in, the door latch releases. Then I press the door latch button again and get nothing. Each time I unplugged the power and then plugged it back in the door latch released. If this is happening, doesn't it mean the actuator is still working?

I have a 2009 Escape. I'm a little ticked that something like this has already gone on it. Coincidentally the glass button has started acting up too - it has a little tear in it and water seems to have gotten in. So now when my Escape is sitting, unlocked, the back window randomly opens. I will have to replace the button with a new unripped one, but unfortunately it seems to be part of a large, expensive, trim piece. Ugh!

At least I was able to solve a problem with my back-up sensors - I found a few wires had frayed and broken. That was thankfully an easy fix!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 AM
amyb7711
New User
Tried it & now it doesn't lock at all!

I tried this & while, yes, the hatch opened & continues to open, it doesnt lock. I can hear it trying to but it just doesnt. Any guesses????

Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 AM
martin_csr
Senior User
Originally Posted by amyb7711
I tried this & while, yes, the hatch opened & continues to open, it doesnt lock. I can hear it trying to but it just doesnt. Any guesses????
Have you removed the interior plastic so that you can look at what it's doing? Maybe a clip is broken or something is sticking?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
gaineyja4
New User
Help please

Has anyone figured this problem have an 02 ford escape and the rear door and back glass wont open most of the time.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
Mine is 08 and it still doesn't work, after I try and it doesn't open I wait 5 min. then try to open without hitting the unlock or key fob it will work? Had it to the dealer 5 different times and they couldn't figgure it out, I just live with it now. If I know I will have something big to put in I lock truck then unlock and go into store and it will work when I come back, mine is a stick so no thug will know how to drive it so I am not worried it will getting stolen. Mine has never worked right since new, now I have 130k miles.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:15 PM
garymcc1
New User
Originally Posted by IB Tim
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….
Thanks man!

Old 09-19-2016, 04:21 PM
garymcc1
New User
Hatch release

Originally Posted by goingnorth
Mine is 08 and it still doesn't work, after I try and it doesn't open I wait 5 min. then try to open without hitting the unlock or key fob it will work? Had it to the dealer 5 different times and they couldn't figgure it out, I just live with it now. If I know I will have something big to put in I lock truck then unlock and go into store and it will work when I come back, mine is a stick so no thug will know how to drive it so I am not worried it will getting stolen. Mine has never worked right since new, now I have 130k miles.
Bought a new release mechanism online thru Parts Avatar..$132,free shipping in Canada.Easy install,works great!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:50 AM
goingnorth
Junior User
Got 212k on it now and the back hatch has been working, knock on wood, for a year without messing up, have not changed anything.

Just put new brakes and bearing all around, should be good for another 100k...

Old 05-29-2020, 05:10 PM
Mark Robinson
New User
I just read on another forum that Ford Escpaes of the 2001-2002 vintage do this when their rear hatch panel heats up in the sun. The user said when it cooled off at night he could open it. sounds to me like something maybe swelling in the heat and binding.

Quick Reply: ford escape >> back door & glass wont open