Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

Utah Ricers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 AM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Utah Ricers?

Why is it that every time an import pulls up next to me they want to race? My truck doesn't even look like a race machine! And my god... does every guy save up and get a turbo and slap it on? I hear more BOV's in my ear than I got diesel exhaust in my face like I did in Idaho when I would sit at a light. I'm just guessing it's the gear drive that gets to them, most people think it's a supercharger. Like tonight, I decided to go for a little cruise so I could think about things (because that's when I do it) and I hear this turbo sound and sure enough here comes a Toyota Supra with a BOV loud enough to pierce my eardrums. The dude starts messing with me a bit and so I give him a womp on the gas pedal and that's when he pulls up next to me and asks if I want to race for $200! What the &$%... leave me alone! I'm not wasting a gallon of gas on you. Had this been in Idaho I would have raced him because we have plenty of backroads to do so and with the slightest turn of the wheeel.. off goes Supra into a potato field Ugh.. sorry.. I just had to throw that out there because every time I hit any major road I always get an import with a turbo wanting to race and of course my truck is loud so cops aim their eyes at me, not them.

Has anyone else experienced this? There seems to be a couple of "Midnight Clubs" here in the SLC area. I've witnessed a 350Z club pull out in front of me from a gas station around that time of night on a friday, must have been 15 or so of them. I think it's in Murray off of statestreet. Although I guess it's a good thing it's just the turbo guys because if every N/A honda civic and eagle talon and mitsubishi eclipse did that crap I'd never drive again. And it's only the imports! I never get anything from any Mustang I pass or Camaro or any Turbo Diesel. It's like they have something to prove... and they pick a "Farm Truck" with Idaho plates. Riiiiight. Almost makes me want to put a Turbo on my 460 and see how they like it, stick a 5000lb brick up their tailpipe. Ok.. *deep breath* I'm done for tonight.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
wick246
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's cool if you saw some ricers with cars that actually might go fast - enjoy it, they are rare.
Anymore most of them sound like they want to race, but after messing with the exhaust and beating the car to death that's just how they sound no matter what they do. I get a chuckle hearing a loud, high reving beast tear it up and rip through gears only to actually see the car - doing 15 mph trying to get away from the light.
An even better sight around here is the growing crowd of low rider / hopper cars. Drive behind one of those and watch the driver get knocked silly inside from the normal road bumps and man hole covers with no suspension. It's a good time.

Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
75BigBlock
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I'm definitely not used to seeing any. The guy in the supra was a turd though, when he saw that I wasn't gonna race he gave me that "**** ****" hand motion and left. All I could do was laugh. In Idaho where I used to live, the only hopped up rides were muscle cars and custom hot rods. The last one I actually CHOSE to race was a 34 Ford truck.. and as the owner would say it was "Built Ford Tough With Chevy Stuff". It had a carbed "Vette engine in it with a Muncie 4 speed among other things.

The only "ricer" I've raced that I give respect to was the one that wooped my butt at RMR. I took my truck to RMR as soon as the season started last year when I got here. I had just had my engine finished, but still had the stock tranny (died a few months into use with new engine) and my open rear with a 3.25. It was my first ever trip down a strip, so my reaction time sucked really bad. I managed a 14.9 in the 1/4 @ 93mph. This guy was driving I think an early 90's Nissan 240sx. It had a crap load of boost. I heard him talking to his buddies in the staging lanes and he said he was at 30psi in third gear, so I have no idea what that means for 1st and 2nd. He pulled a 12.2 @ 112mph and left my truck in the dust. One thing I like about the track over the country roads is the sportsmanship. Dude gave me a thumbs up cause he knew what he was racing.. a 5000# brick.