Alaska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Question and advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 AM
powerstrokin007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question and advice

Does anyone know much about selling a vehicle that was built in Canada? Let me try and explain where I getting at. About 4 months ago I got a 03 F-350 form Park and Sell. Everything is fine and dandy. A few weeks ago, while cleaning my trucks door jambs, I noticed a sticker that had a Canadain flag on it. Low and behold it was manufactured in Canada. No biggie. Well since my wife is starting in home dycare at my house I realy don't want her Yukon to sit all day, every week so I decided to sell the truck. Well I found out that she was calling around to different dealers in town to find out if there is anyone interested in it. Well a few weeks pass and she got a call from a place in Eagle River that had some people asking about F350's and called use to see if we would like to put the truck out there for a bit. So we agreed and drove up there. While she was getting some info about it, she asked us if we knew that it was a Canadain vehicle. I told her I found it out a few weeks ago. She asked us if the place we bought it from told us. No. Shoud they of told us. Acording to her is a law. That if a dealer is to sell a vehicle from Canada the they have to tell us and disclose it in writing. I'm getting a bit upset because they never told us that. Also it's hard to get an extended warrenty on a vehicle from Canada. So I left it there and drove home. Thinking about it I decided to look it. Went to legal and they had to find it. It is Alaska Statute 45.25.470 Sale of Vehicle Manufactured For Sale in a Foreign Country. It reads: Before sale, a motor vehicle dealer shall disclose in writing whether a motor vehicle was orginally manufactured for sale in Canada or another country. I also found Alaska Satute 45.25.465 Sales of Used Motor Vehicles: Required Disclosures. To sum that up they have to post it in the window if it was from Canada. Sorry to make it so long. What can I do? Should I go down there and say hey why didn't you tell me this. Take the truck and give me back my money. Not sure if there is a punishment for this. I'm not sure if this has happen to anybody. Just need some advise. If I go down there I'm going off on someone. I don't want to because I loose my cool fast. Just looking for some good advise.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Hawkins
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstrokin007
Does anyone know much about selling a vehicle that was built in Canada? Let me try and explain where I getting at. About 4 months ago I got a 03 F-350 form Park and Sell. Everything is fine and dandy. A few weeks ago, while cleaning my trucks door jambs, I noticed a sticker that had a Canadain flag on it. Low and behold it was manufactured in Canada. No biggie. Well since my wife is starting in home dycare at my house I realy don't want her Yukon to sit all day, every week so I decided to sell the truck. Well I found out that she was calling around to different dealers in town to find out if there is anyone interested in it. Well a few weeks pass and she got a call from a place in Eagle River that had some people asking about F350's and called use to see if we would like to put the truck out there for a bit. So we agreed and drove up there. While she was getting some info about it, she asked us if we knew that it was a Canadain vehicle. I told her I found it out a few weeks ago. She asked us if the place we bought it from told us. No. Shoud they of told us. Acording to her is a law. That if a dealer is to sell a vehicle from Canada the they have to tell us and disclose it in writing. I'm getting a bit upset because they never told us that. Also it's hard to get an extended warrenty on a vehicle from Canada. So I left it there and drove home. Thinking about it I decided to look it. Went to legal and they had to find it. It is Alaska Statute 45.25.470 Sale of Vehicle Manufactured For Sale in a Foreign Country. It reads: Before sale, a motor vehicle dealer shall disclose in writing whether a motor vehicle was orginally manufactured for sale in Canada or another country. I also found Alaska Satute 45.25.465 Sales of Used Motor Vehicles: Required Disclosures. To sum that up they have to post it in the window if it was from Canada. Sorry to make it so long. What can I do? Should I go down there and say hey why didn't you tell me this. Take the truck and give me back my money. Not sure if there is a punishment for this. I'm not sure if this has happen to anybody. Just need some advise. If I go down there I'm going off on someone. I don't want to because I loose my cool fast. Just looking for some good advise.
Alaska Statute 45.25.470 Sale of Vehicle Manufactured For Sale in a Foreign Country. It reads: Before sale, a motor vehicle dealer shall disclose in writing whether a motor vehicle was orginally manufactured for sale in Canada or another country.

Just because it was made in canada doesn't mean it was made to be sold in Canada. Car companies have plants in canada but make vehicles for both Canada and export to the US. The first question to ask yourself is do my headlight stay on all the time. If the answer is yes then you have a vehicle that was made for the canidian market as their laws require daylight headlight on all the time. If the answer is no then you have a vehicle that was made in Canada for export to the US market. In which case this law doen't apply to the vehicle. There are other difference between vehicles made for canada and the US but this is the easiest to check. My quess is that you have a vehicle made in Canada for export to the US.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
powerstrokin007
Senior User
Yes I have daytime running lights. Ran the vin and the vehicle was manufactured in Canada for sale in Canada.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:49 PM
mlb4966
Posting Guru

Hmmm interesting. I personally like the daytime running lights. I always turn on my lights when driving, at least the small driving lights. What are the other differences between American and Candian vehicles? Just curious