460 gas mileage

Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
bigblocktrent
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 gas mileage

ok guys i need some help and i think this might help alot of others also. i need to know every simple mod i can do to give my 460 better gas mileage.

I hear those tornado's that go in your intake to spin the air work some.
All voices will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have tried out the item and it is proven to work.
Thank you,
Trent

Old 07-18-2006, 03:50 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
bolt a block to the back of the gas peddal so you cant go over a 1/4 throttle is the best advice...lol of course if you need more it could be a problem. your driving habbits will effect everything the most. my 85 i can get between 10-12 mpg highway if i dont try and drive 80mph. headers is a good place to start. a good clean air filter will help. recurving the distibutor ive heard helps a lot. good plugs and wires also. basicall open the exhust as much as you can and a really good tune up.

hope this helps
tony

Old 07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There has been a lot of press lately about gas savers. The EPA, Consumer Report and several car magazines all say that the gas savers are pretty much marketing hokum. There has even been some commentary about some additives being bad for the engine over the long run, but giving fractionally better mileage in the short run.

Some people do get better mileage but that is usually because when they put on the device or pour in the magic elixer, they subconsciously drive better which gives better mileage. Kind of like when the car is freshly washed and waxed it is faster or peppier.

These organizations do the testing in carefully controlled and measured tests and the results say you get nothing or barely a difference. The testimonials from the guys who got 30% more mileage after putting on the "exhaust propeller turbo whistle" are usually from people who drove different or did something else, like a tuneup, after they made the modification.

I routinely get variations of 2-3mpg or about 10-15% in my daily driving depending on my mood, weather, traffic, octane, driving style, route etc. I bet if I tried I could get 20% better mileage if I changed my habits. So it is easy to get a couple guys in a hundred that consistently get better mileage day after day with one of the gizmos.

But, yah never know, go ahead and buy one and see what it does. You might be one of the lucky ones or a person who will get better mileage because of the placebo effect on your driving habits. Odds are tho that it will only lighten your wallet, which will give a small mileage improvement.

Best mileage improvers are a tuneup, including O2 sensors, oil changes, proper tire inflation, good maintenance, smoother driving style, better planned routes and yes a good wash and wax job, really.

By the way, today I saw a can at Pep Boys caliming upto 30% better mileage. That would be incredible and if true, I bet Detroit is buying every can they can to improve their CAFE mileage to avoid fines, or they are conspiring to hide the great invention of the century.

Mileage improvers have been around for maybe 100 years. So far they don't really work and most of the ones that did, worked back when there was a lot of room for improvement in cars and when computers did not already have the engine tuned to the edge.

My sceptical opinion,

Jim Henderson

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-18-2006, 08:29 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seen the same report on 20/20 found it interesting.I also seen the interviews they did with the inventor of the Tornado and 1 other snake oil salesman.They couldn't back up their claims with any proof.My plans are putting in a 4EOD and a few changes in gearing and tires to help get better gas mileage.I average 6-10 with my 86 F250 with a 460/C6 combo with what is planned with some friends in the NC FTE chapter I hope to get about 16MPG

Old 07-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why are going thru this again? It's a 460 and gas mileage just isn't in the cards. If you want gas mileage get an EFI truck (not a 460 cause they still don't mileage worth a crap) that won't carry or tow anything. On the aftermarket products; If it sounds to good to be true, you better figure it is. Cause if it worked, the major manufactures would have scarffed up on it and would be using it.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:44 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

[QUOTE=Bear 45/70]Why are going thru this again? It's a 460 and gas mileage just isn't in the cards. If you want gas mileage get an EFI truck (not a 460 cause they still don't mileage worth a crap) that won't carry or tow anything. On the aftermarket products; If it sounds to good to be true, you better figure it is. Cause if it worked, the major manufactures would have scarffed up on it and would be using it.[/QUOTE

THANK YOU BEAR. If you own a 460 you bought it because you needed it to work. If you want gas mileage go buy a Jetta diesel TDI they get 55-60 MPG. I have a friend who owns one and that is what he gets. I wish you guys would quit asking about gas mileage and 460s they are not compatable. This must be the 100th time I have seen this on this forum this year. GET A GRIP.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
bigblocktrent
New User
kermmy and bear, i didn't ask for negative comments, so if you have one...keep it to yourself because your not helping anything. also, nothing is impossible and a 460 that gets decent mileage has to be possible and when it is i'll be sure to send you a big obnoxious message. thank you.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigblocktrent
kermmy and bear, i didn't ask for negative comments, so if you have one...keep it to yourself because your not helping anything. also, nothing is impossible and a 460 that gets decent mileage has to be possible and when it is i'll be sure to send you a big obnoxious message. thank you.
What you asked for was "good" (If 10 mpg is good to you) for a 460 and it just isn't gonna improve enough to make any real difference. Yes you can replace the exhaust and recurve the distributor and tinker with the carb and You get maybe 3 to 5 max. But don't count on it. This is a great big motor and takes a lot of gas to just make it idle say compared to a little 2 liter motor. Your asking about BS add ons pretty much shows you don't have the knowledge or skills to really improve the motor, preformance or mileage. So when you ask a question with stupid, written all over it, that's what you get. Go read a book on Fords, if you can or learn to use the search funtion on this forum as this has been covered at least 3 times that I know of.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Paul Kane
Junior User
Smile

Don't know what you have exactly for a 460 (carbed? EFI? etc) but properly porting the heads with no other changes will improve mileage as much as 10%, provided you drive the truck the same as before the heads were ported.

A freer flowing exhaust system can help as well.

Paul

Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
Don't know what you have exactly for a 460 (carbed? EFI? etc) but properly porting the heads with no other changes will improve mileage as much as 10%, provided you drive the truck the same as before the heads were ported.

A freer flowing exhaust system can help as well.

Paul
Porting the heads will make it worse for a street machine. Headers and a large diameter exhaust, probably.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Paul Kane
Junior User
Smile

Bear, are you saying that reworking the ports to be more efficient (no other changes) will worsen gas mileage and not improve it?

And that reducing the back pressure created by the (assumed) oem exhaust system by way of installing a freer flowing exhaust aft of the oem manifolds will not help either?

Paul

Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-19-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
The only way to make the port flow better is to remove material, that enlarges the ports which at street RPM slows the fuel/air mixture movement from the carb to the cylinder which will hurt, not help economy. Porting is mainly a high RPM horsepower thing and rarely helps fuel economy. In fact normally small ports and high air velocities thru them at 2 to 3,000 rpm will increase efficency and boost mpg. Otherwise you can't build a motor to be everthing in one. You get an economy (read low rpm torque) motor or a horsepower motor which by definition can't be fuel miserly.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Paul Kane
Junior User
Smile

So a smaller but higher turbulent port will be better for fuel economy than a reshaped, streamlined and more efficient port (and resultingly slightly larger port volume)? Especially at 2000-3000 rpm?

And it's not possible to make a port flow better for a given application (such as this one) by adding material, but only by removing material?

Last edited by Paul Kane; 07-19-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Paul Kane
So a smaller but higher turbulent port will be better for fuel economy than a reshaped, streamlined and more efficient port (and resultingly slightly larger port volume)? Especially at 2000-3000 rpm?

And it's not possible to make a port flow better for a given application (such as this one) by adding material?
You could but it would be a lot of expense and/or work for not all that much gain. This porting stuff isn't going to get you more than a 1/2 mpg at the most.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Paul Kane
Junior User
Smile

Bear, please don't assume that "porting" always equates to all out "racing head" reworking. Creating better port efficiency in exhange for less turbulence & inefficiency--even at the sacrifice of a few measly cc's of port volume--can do wonders for both power and fuel mileage at the same time. Frankly, a more efficient port can have a greater velocity at a given rpm than a smaller, more turbulent/less efficient port. The final results can include improved mileage by greater than 10% (in the case of the carbed 460) and at the same time increased throttle response and overall general power. I personally have proven this over and over again in vehicles I have owned and many customer's vehicles alike, as have others I'm sure. Ports can be resized and reshaped for many different applications, not just all out top end horsepower.

Paul

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 460 gas mileage