Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

World's Strongest Truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post World's Strongest Truck?

Check out this comparison at http://autos.aol.com/article/general...20162609990001

Steve

Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
The title is extremely misleading. It should read something like "The best of our ability to guess which truck you might like to read about that is made mostly in the USA" is what it should read. Frankly, we love our "heavy duty" pickups but when compared to offerings from other countries that aren't concerned with selling their goods inthe US, our beloved HD trucks are crap for a work vehicle. They are fabulous parking lot queens but work trucks- not anymore and haven't been for years. I'm not even sure if the American public has a clue what a work truck is anymore since it's been so long since there was one. Think I'm wrong? I'll put my 1974 F-350 against any American truck in its class. It will out pull any PSD any day, it will carry more than any Duramax, and get better fuel mileage than any Cummins. I won't be enjoying A/C or power steering but I will get there first with more using less. And I know that there are better trucks in the same class that aren't available in the US that will kill my F-350. Articles like these are designed to accomplish one thing- sell print. I can only imagine that this is a huge hit with the GM forums- like those folks have a clue, anyway.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
read a bit of it its all bull they say fords interior is "so dated" yets its 10 x betters than chevs how much you think chevs paying all these reviers lol chevys a joke everybody knows fords the best no boby can admit cause there jelious

Old 07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
93RangerXL4x2
Elder User
I dont get it fords tow more we all know that so they but more weight on the ford? for frig sakes hook up 17,000 pound trailer or more weight and lets see whos the strongest shoulding surprise anybody! Ford! chevs should just die cause they need these reviews to sell there trucks

Old 07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

The title came from the last line of the article, and I don't agree/disagree with its content; just threw it out there for comments.

Steve

Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody forced the article maker to call the Chevy the World's Strongest Truck. They did a somewhat-scientific series of tests (though we have zero idea of the actual tests and performance) and pitted the Chevy, Dodge, and Ford against each other.

The Chevy won, big deal get over it. If somebody posted hard evidence the Chevy or Dodge was better, the SD guys would still be too damn stubborn to admit it.

There'll be another article out in a month or so that will say the Dodge Cummins ranked best, and all the SD guys will complain "oh it's so biased, they need those articles to sell trucks because we're the best, blah blah blah". Give it another month, throw out an article where the Ford comes on top, and it'll be triumphed like a saint himself blessed the truck. Suddenly the "popular press" is 100% correct, as long as they feed the information that is wanted.

RP
Zach

Old 07-18-2006, 06:46 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Flash
The title is extremely misleading. It should read something like "The best of our ability to guess which truck you might like to read about that is made mostly in the USA" is what it should read. Frankly, we love our "heavy duty" pickups but when compared to offerings from other countries that aren't concerned with selling their goods inthe US, our beloved HD trucks are crap for a work vehicle. They are fabulous parking lot queens but work trucks- not anymore and haven't been for years. I'm not even sure if the American public has a clue what a work truck is anymore since it's been so long since there was one. Think I'm wrong? I'll put my 1974 F-350 against any American truck in its class. It will out pull any PSD any day, it will carry more than any Duramax, and get better fuel mileage than any Cummins. I won't be enjoying A/C or power steering but I will get there first with more using less. And I know that there are better trucks in the same class that aren't available in the US that will kill my F-350. Articles like these are designed to accomplish one thing- sell print. I can only imagine that this is a huge hit with the GM forums- like those folks have a clue, anyway.

what factory engine did a 1974 f350 come with and how much power does it make?

Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash
And I know that there are better trucks in the same class that aren't available in the US that will kill my F-350. Articles like these are designed to accomplish one thing- sell print.
Not wrong - like the "Fastest truck in the world" SRT-10.... - which they still advertise
http://www.dodge.com/srt-10/performance.html

erm...
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm...ld-fastest-ute

Sorry, this is a little but still...

Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BF250, I also wonder the same, lol. there hasn't been and never will be a 390 that will out pull todays diesels or get better mileage in the same configured truck, end of story this shouldn't even be a discussion.

Ranger Pilot hit the nail on the head and drove it in with one blow! Yes, we'd all like to see the exact same trucks equiped "Identicaly" so it would be a fair test but in the real world it just doesn't happen. Secondly, no matter who you are, the current GM duramax LLY (or whatever it is) puts out more power and torque then the ford or dodge, both fly wheel and at the wheels, all you have to do is look at some dyno tests of this years model trucks, be sure to check the rear ends are the same ratio so the torque specs aren't skewed, also the over all tire diameter can make a difference. Figure it how you want but even myself, whoms blood is blue, isn't blind to the compatition. If the compitition wasn't up to par it wouldn't be called a competitor and there would be no reason to improve the overall design. compatition is good for the consumer weather the company you like is playing catch-up or leading the pack, it makes everyone better at what they build!

Old 07-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Batgeek
More Turbo
Yep, this only means that the 2008 superduty will be built to blow the doors off Chevy then it will be Chevy's turn to play catch up.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
BigF350, it is a one owner truck, it came from the factory with a 390. It does not have that engine anymore but one similiar. It is sporting a 391 and the only parts in the engine that resemble stock would be the cam bearings. Everything, including the crank has been modded for one purpose only-pulling. I have no clue what the engine is putting out but I would GUESS somewheres around 500HP. It is bolted to a Fuller Ranger (can you say medium duty) FS6406A running down a custom 6" driveshaft to a Dana 17060D with 4.33 gears. It's basically all of the running gear of an F600 in an F-350 but with a lot more ponies.

Recent story you might find interesting. I live next door to one of the top ten wealtiest men in Texas. He can buy anything but you would never know the guy wasn't just an average shmoe. Great individual. He has a Dodge Cummins, 06, 6 speed that has a chip and a HUGE turbo charger with 5" exhaust on it. It rigged just like mine for a 5er. One of his running buds has a 06 F-350 single rear wheel (mine's a flatbed dually) PSD with a 6 speed, chipped, exhaust, and other goodies, and per him- makes over 1200 HP. My neigbor had purchased 5 Bush Hogs and they were in Corpus, about 140 mile drive, and would pay the trucking costs if we would help. So this weekend we drove over to Corpus with our custon built 26" dual tandem trailers. The trailers have 16" I Beam frames and weigh in around 10,000 lbs empty. We loaded the Hogs which per shipping invoice weight, weighed in at 19,600 lbs each. After we had the bad boys chained down the neigbor made his bud a bet- $1,000 for the first one back to the local restaurant (we only have one). I skipped the bet. As we left, the Ford took off like we weren't moving but soon he was slowing down. I passed him up thinking he was busy doing something in the truck and would soon be blowing past me. The Dodge went by him and of course, all of the hand signals between the two guys was fun. As we got about 40 miles down the road the Ford wasn't anywhere to be seen, The Dodge was fading fast as well. I just kept the tach at 3800 RPMs and kept on truckin'. Needless to say, I got to the eatery first and had finshed the first glass of sweet tea when the neigbor pulled up. He was concerned about his bud. The buddy got there about 45 minutes later. The problem with BOTH of the diesels. The 6.0 was running EGT of over 1000F and climbing. The Dodge was having the same problems. While in their stock form the diesels would most definetely run away from a stock 1974 F-350 with a 390, none of the trucks were stock. As for fuel mileage, I only have a 17 gallon tank and had SOME but not much left. The other two were on fumes and the tanks are much larger but I don't know how big. So just because its a diesel doesn't make it the POWER MONSTER. You can build a gasser to compete anyday on this level. Also, we only brought back three of the Hogs. My neigbor had one of his BIG trucks pick up the other two. Cheers!

Old 07-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Ben99GT
Senior User
So what do you have done to this 391?

Old 07-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
I'm having to do this from memory as my cousin, who has a machine shop/speed shop did the work. He basically emptied the engine block, bored it .030 and put a steelite crank stroker to 3.98". I think that makes it a 418 Cu In. as I remember. It has K Black pistons but I don't remember which ones, I beam rods, a custom grind cam from Comp Cams and is a non- symetrical design by my cousin. It has the Comp high rev lifters, dual valve springs, link chain and timing gear set, an Accel ignition system, Edlebrock dual plane intake, Carter 750 Superquad, Hooker headers, high volume and pressure oil pump (idles and runs at 70 lbs) with custom relief valve body, and the valves were opened up but I don't remember the size other than BIG. The dual exhaust is 3" thru 42" Cherry Bombs. The radiator is out of an F-600 that had a diesel. The radiator runs from just clearing the hood to hanging out the bottom by about 6" and about 3/4 of the way across the engine bay. The fan and fan clutch are from a 460 F-350 with a 28" seven blade fan with shroud. I run 93 octane gas with a bottle of VP Fuels C-5 to every 12 gallons. You can tell when it gets to the carb if I run it without it. I usually can get 12 mpg with just a load on the truck which has extra rear springs. Pulling like the brush hog it was just under 10. The combination has been real satisfactory. The old girl is still looking good as she is Whimbleton White with a custom front bumper from drill stem that is black as is the headache rack.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
littleme13
Posting Guru
well guys i hate to admit it but someone has done a test of the big 3. even thou i dont like the results myself i think its pretty clear who won. so i thought id share. mind you i dont know whats done to any of these trucks but i thought it shows very clear who was the strongest.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=948898833&n=2

the only thing i did notice after just watching again was the ford did not have it in 4 wheel drive and the dodge did and im sure the chevy was too.

Last edited by littleme13; 07-20-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:03 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
littleme13, good post.

I'd like to know their engines, gear ratios, trannies, all that fun stuff. In pure watching, it's obvious, the Chevy, after some effort, pulled the Cummins and absolutely drug that PSD away. But there's a lot of factors we don't know.

RP
Zach

Quick Reply: World's Strongest Truck?