F-250LD Front Rotors stuck! Help! 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250LD Front Rotors stuck! Help! 4x4

Guys

Trying to replace the rotors on my 1999 F-250LD <7 lug> 4x4.

The rotors sure look like the hubless type but for the life of me I cant beat them off the hub! I tried to remove the axle nut and beat them and it looks like all Im doing is seperating the hub bearing.

Is this typical or have I missed something?? These are hubless rotors correct?

Thanks much

Tommy D

Old 07-13-2006, 12:20 AM
tommytorino
Senior User
Ok I used a can and 1/2 of PB Blaster on the front rotors. Still beating them <and me> sensless with a BFH got me no where. No.. thats not true, I cracked the DS rotor.

Going to buckle it up for the night and drive it home <as long as I dont see sparks!>

If someone reads this who has done the 7 lug front <4x4> just let me know if its a typical hubless rotor.

Just unreal.... ya know??

Tommy D

Old 07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Looking at the new rotors today <yes I made it home last night!> it looks almost like the wheel studs might press fit.

Guys Im really at a loss here. Do I drive the wheel studs in and then pull <hammer> the rotor off the hub?

Do I pull the hub/rotor intact?

Grrrrrrr

Tommy D

Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 PM
7700Rob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, sounds like you've got stuckon rotors. The studs are part of the hub. All you need to remove is the tire, caliper and bracket. Maybe some heat, and a biggerfh. Best wishes, before you install the new rotors, slap some ecto-lube or anti-seize on the hub and the back side of the rotor. Same with the rears if you go there. Rob

Old 07-13-2006, 11:52 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
I can't help you on this one, Tommy. I have yet to replace the rotors, but it'll be soon.

My understanding is all 4x4 front discs on F150s/ 250LDs of this era are pressed to the hub. You have to remove hub and all.

I maybe incorrect, but what you have ran across makes it sound more like a fact.

-Kerry

Old 07-14-2006, 09:06 AM
yellow_jacket
Junior User
Can you post a picture of the front and back of the rotor/hub assemblies?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:25 AM
7700Rob
Senior User
It's simply rusted on bro. The lug nuts hold the rotor on the hub. Nothing is pressed anywhere. Where in NY are you? I wish I could come over and help. Pretty hot today though. Rob

Old 07-14-2006, 01:19 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Originally Posted by 7700Rob
It's simply rusted on bro. The lug nuts hold the rotor on the hub. Nothing is pressed anywhere. Where in NY are you? I wish I could come over and help. Pretty hot today though. Rob
Long way from you! Down on Long Island.

Ill give it a shot again next week. Like I said from looking at the rotors they appear free floating. There is a countersunk portion of the new 7 lug rotors that looked like the wheel studs MIGHT press onto.

When I tell you I was beating the hell out of them, Im not kidding. The truck was up on a lift and I was useing a home made "short sledge" I used to get stuck DRW off GMC 3500HDs. Again I hit them hard enough to brake the inside portion of the driver side rotor.

Speaking to a Ford dealer mechanic <FWIW> he told me "have fun". Basically the last set he did took him 3 hrs and with lots of hammering and a torch he finally got them off.

No offence but Ford.... there has GOT to be a better way.

Tommy D

Old 07-14-2006, 02:01 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Then these are like the rear discs, which I have had apart. The studs do press out or do what I did and get a block of wood and that mini sledge and knock them out. The better way you asked about comes after you get the mess separated. You put a coat of no-ox or anti-sieze between the hub/studs and the rotor where it slips on to prevent the stuff from corroding together, again.

I would have figured Dave would be in on this. Racerguy, any opions in the matter?

-Kerry

Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Originally Posted by kspilkinton
The studs do press out or do what I did and get a block of wood and that mini sledge and knock them out.
-Kerry
Kerry

What you are saying goes against what the Ford tech said. Don't get me wrong I dont know if this guy knew beans about the 250LD but he indicated again it was a full floating rotor.

Perhaps <and I do mean perhaps Im not sure> I can beat the wheel studs back some with the rotor on the truck. Not all the way out mind you <pretty sure you cant>, but enough so that they are no longer pressed/snug into the rotor.

I really wish someone whom has broken down one of these Rotors would chime in.

Thanks

Tommy D

Old 07-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried the "CANDLE TRICK" on it yet?

If it works on THIS it will loosen anything....

Old 07-14-2006, 09:10 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tommytorino
Long way from you! Down on Long Island.

Ill give it a shot again next week. Like I said from looking at the rotors they appear free floating. There is a countersunk portion of the new 7 lug rotors that looked like the wheel studs MIGHT press onto.

When I tell you I was beating the hell out of them, Im not kidding. The truck was up on a lift and I was useing a home made "short sledge" I used to get stuck DRW off GMC 3500HDs. Again I hit them hard enough to brake the inside portion of the driver side rotor.

Speaking to a Ford dealer mechanic <FWIW> he told me "have fun". Basically the last set he did took him 3 hrs and with lots of hammering and a torch he finally got them off.

No offence but Ford.... there has GOT to be a better way.

Tommy D
if they are that stuck, your best bet is probably to slice them with a cutting disc. they aren't press on, just rusted. cut an X into the face of the rotor (becareful not to cut into the hub), and that should relieve some of the tension.

never-seize will be your friend when you put them back together.

Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Have you tried the "CANDLE TRICK" on it yet?

If it works on THIS it will loosen anything....
What in Gods Name is the Candle Trick?

Tommy D

Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tommytorino
What in Gods Name is the Candle Trick?

Tommy D
heat it up with a propane torch until it gets hot, then melt a candle into the crack

Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM
tommytorino
Senior User
Originally Posted by bremen242
if they are that stuck, your best bet is probably to slice them with a cutting disc. they aren't press on, just rusted. cut an X into the face of the rotor (becareful not to cut into the hub), and that should relieve some of the tension.

never-seize will be your friend when you put them back together.
Knowing myself and a wiz-wheel thats not really an option. That is if I dont want to buy hub bearings after I wizzz right through them!

Understood about the sliver slop <never sieze> we use it all the time at work. We also service Jeep Cherokees at work. These 4x4's LIVE on the beach <read salt water> and Ill say it again, I have never seen a rotor "stuck" like on my Ford.

Oh well sounds like its all over but the cryin'. I just hope your right and the wheel studs are NOT pressed into the rotors!

Tommy D

Quick Reply: F-250LD Front Rotors stuck! Help! 4x4