WVO and Dino mix

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
csmtolle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO and Dino mix

I am wanting to take advantage of burning a little WVO but dont have the space to make enough Bio to meet my demand and dont want to convert the truck with another tank and heater. Can you mix WVO and Dino to a ratio that you only have to filter the WVO? Or is this like water and oil? I have read a little on making the Bio and was wondering if there is any waste in this process and if so how do you get rid of it? any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by csmtolle
I am wanting to take advantage of burning a little WVO but dont have the space to make enough Bio to meet my demand and dont want to convert the truck with another tank and heater. Can you mix WVO and Dino to a ratio that you only have to filter the WVO? Or is this like water and oil? I have read a little on making the Bio and was wondering if there is any waste in this process and if so how do you get rid of it? any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to FTE! Biodiesel is easy to make. WVO and dinodiesel do not mix very well, some people are doing it, but there are no long term studys. I make Bio, I really don't want to use WVO mixes and experiment with my engines! Try here for the best info about making and using Biodiesel : http://www.biodieselcommunity.org Also look in the threads in this forum, you will find both pros and cons about mixing Dino and WVO. The main "waste" in producing Bio is gylcerol. It can be used for fertilizer, weed killer, cattle feed, and lots of other things. I use it for Heat in my processer!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:51 PM
csmtolle
New User
Thanks for the info. I seen an additive and process for WVO at www.dieselsecret.comHas anyone used this process? it seemed to be easier / faster.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:57 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I seen an additive and process for WVO at www.dieselsecret.comHas anyone used this process? it seemed to be easier / faster.
This product is PURE SNAKE OIL Don't waste your money, or your engine!

Do a search of this forum on it, then make up your mind.

FABMANDELUX.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Rory_Johnson
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dieselsecret is evil.

You can get some info about blends (WVO and x) at the infopop forum, under the Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as fuel. They also talk about WVO.
A couple of common blends are WVO and gasoline in an 80/20 or 85/15 mix. I personally don't run blends but there is information out there.

Dieselsecret is evil.

Rory

Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Blends are inherently problematic because you are mixing liquids of differing specific gravity and molecule size together. Mixtures like that tend to seperate into layers so you are only burning one or the other (depending on which layer the pickup in your tank is drawing from) not a mix.
Some here have claimed that they make mixes that dont seperate, maybe so maybe not, I know that the laws science say it shouldn't work.
When you weigh the potential costs, destruction of your engine, against the potential benefits, save a few bucks on fuel, running a mixture doesn't look quite so good.

If you are serious about running WVO do it right, convert the fuel system. If you dont want to convert your truck then learn to make Bio.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:47 PM
csmtolle
New User
i appreciate all of the info. looks like i will learn to make the Bio. i dont want to convert the truck because if i ever trade it in i am looking at another conversion.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:55 PM
leskwvo
Senior User
i appreciate all of the info. looks like i will learn to make the Bio. i dont want to convert the truck because if i ever trade it in i am looking at another conversion.
This may not be true. You can remove the bolt on parts and splice the hoses back that you may have tee's into. Most parts are universal and can be reused.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 AM
csmtolle
New User
i have a 2000 f250. isnt the fuel pump in the tank? i have a spare tank i have installed in the bed of the tank but have it hooked up to just tranfer to the original tank via an electric fuel pump with a tee installed in the filler neck. it is only a 20 gal. tank but that makes a total of 50gal i can haul (further than i can drive without stopping) is there some place that sells these conversions? not real crazy about spending that much money but i realize the returns are good.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a 2000 f250. isnt the fuel pump in the tank
Nope. It's mounted inside the framerail on the drivers side. Prety much directly below your seat.