New York Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: tiny1

Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 845 Likes on 764 Posts
Flooding

My heart goes out to anyone affected by the recent flooding. I know bterry is down Conklin way. I just came up along 17 and detoured around Livingston Manor and Roscoe. Hancock looks pretty rough. A lot of what I saw reminds me of pictures from Katrina. If anyone needs some help don't be afraid to ask.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
soondg
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sentiments exactly GLR, we've had a lot of flooding in Pa.. I'm in Philly so it doesn't really affect me, friends in Bucks County didn't have it so good though. We have a member in the Pennsylvania Chapter who lives right across from the Bloomsburg fairgrounds with a creek running between them, haven't been able to contact him. He offered his place for our first chapter GTG and a place to camp during the Bloomsburg Jamboree and we know the fairgrounds and that area was under a lot of water. Looks like we'll spend our first GTG looking at trucks and cleaning up mud. Not that we dislike mud, just prefer to drive in it.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:23 AM
fast frank 66
Senior User
does anyone know if the roscoe diner is alright? i stop there about 4 times a year, i love that place.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 AM
captchas
if you trout fish who dosn't ? lots of bad photos on the tv. some spots in nj are not much better off . makes me glad i live on top of hidden valley ski area here. down in vernon valley they had a major road closed off.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
George - Thanks for posting this up and yes if anyone needs help let us know.

soondg - Congrates on getting the PA chapter up and running. I will have to stop in and see what is going. Sorry to hear of the troubles in PA. Any word from LilDuke? He was the one right next to the Bloomsburg grounds right? I saw some pictures of the Bloomsburg grounds on another site and it looks pretty bad. I heard that they are canceling the show until August.

I am like Charlie living on a hill so have not been affected plus I am west of most places that got all the heavy rain. Hope everyone is alright.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
captchas
right above my house is a 100 acre lake and the drain stream runs though my backyard .t-g the dam is brand and up to date .i could just see a mess like that if it let loose

Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Ronin- I drove up to Blommsburg yesterday to check things out and stopped by LilDukes place, he had five feet of water in his house. The water was gone but the mud made a mess of everything. Wasn't much good I could do there, maybe when he's ready some of our chapter can go and help him re-rock his place and paint. He does have some Amish buddies who may be raising his house, he sits between two creeks, great property except for that one little flaw. The jamboree was cancelled at the last minute but some members of FTW Pennsylvania Chapter are up at Turners High View Campground are are putting together a little impromptu show at the campground. The local paper was there last night doing interviews and said if people do the GTG they will cover it. No prizes or anything just a good time. There is supposed to be a band there Saturday night that is being provided by the campground owners. Trucks are already there from Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York. I'm hopeing some of the guys from our chapter come to represent FTE, I will be there Saturday afternoon and definetly stay for the party Saturday night. If any of your New York Chapter people are up there tell them to stop by and bring their favorite libations and food. No sense wasting a good weekend.

Last edited by soondg; 07-05-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
soondg - Sorry to hear about LilDuke's. Keep us posted on what he and others might need help with. Personally I can't make it down this weekend due to other family events, but hopefully others from the NY Chapter can make it down for your G2G. Sounds like a good time and glad people are able to make a good thing out of a bad situation. Enjoy and be safe.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 PM
soondg
Postmaster
Thanks Ronin- The people in the area have done an incredible job of getting the area up and running. They where still having a problem with drinking water but where acting quickly on the situation. I have to credit the Pennsyvania government agencys for how prompt they where in taking action, i'm not a major fan of Rendell's but have to give him credit for his expediency and organization. Our volunteer Firefighters, Law Enforcement personal, National Guard and EMS along with regular citizens have done an exempelary job of reaching out to those in the state that need help.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:47 AM
bterry
Elder User
Yes, George I'm in Conklin, thanks for your concern. This town is in deep trouble - it's just amazing whats going on here. HUGE mess EVERYWHERE. Personally I'm OK, the garage, shed, and my commercial property all got flooded, but the house and Superduty were spared. We've been very busy helping friends and neighbors. I did need get the garage cleaned out, and I'll need to try and save the engine and drive train out of "Big Blue." It's got a fresh 460 in it that was in real good shape. The rest of the truck is a loss. If I end up stripping it all out, maybe I'll host a G2G in the shop! Some help there could be fun.

I'll try to find out about the Roscoe Diner and get back with you.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Barr - Let us know if you need help. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from you. We could call it a G2G and everyone could bring their own food and tools to help clean you out. Let us know what you need and what you need help with. The newly formed PA Chapter has really rallied to help one of their own in the same situation as you in Bloomsburg. I am sure there are those here in the NY Chapter that would do the same so don't be afraid to ask.

Darren

Old 07-10-2006, 06:23 AM
cabriolet1ton
New User
Just read this forum, I'm from Conklin also, been a volunteer since the whole thing started. Unbelievable, but the people here are very enthusiastic, and high spirited. Susquehanna river is still quite high and very ugly brown. I lived in my camper until rescue was available, and then used my ATV to help move people from Stillwater,Fountain Bleau, and Pride Manor parks to the rescue squad via the Railroad. Conrail deserves a slap on the back also. I'll be across from Hobart stone all this week. Give me a shout if you need a hand Good Luck.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 AM
bterry
Elder User
cabriolet1ton, across from Hobart Stone is where my truck was. I rent the area out back of Slaters Florist. Give me a call at 222-1463, we'll chat about things. I might be able to help you some.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
bterry and cabriolet1ton - seriously let us know if you need help with anything. I am sure there are members like myself that will help in anyway that we can. Just let us know and we can get the word out.

cabriolet1ton - if you haven't already please join the NY Chapter so that you will be updated on any posts in this forum. It might take awhile, but there are changes coming that I will address in a seperate post.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 PM
bterry
Elder User
Darren,

I'm pretty well set myself, but thanks, it's definately nice to hear you'd help. The shop has been cleaned out and all is good there. The commercial property isn't a big deal other than perhaps removing all the salvageable parts from the F350. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling it as-is, but just don't know yet, if I get a decent offer - it'll be gone; if not, maybe we could have a tear a truck apart G2G. I'm hoping cabriolet1ton will give me a call so I can give him a hand. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Flooding