1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 F-250 Powerstroke Ford Diesel Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Hogfan22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F-250 Powerstroke Ford Diesel Problems.

Ok My dad just bought a 1997 ford f-250 with powerstoke diesel and the problem is we got it started sunday night and drove it home but it would only go to 1800 Rpms and about 15mph.Also it has smoke coming out that is blue.And now that I got it to the shop at town it will not start at all. We spray starting fluid in it today and sunday it start sunday with fluid but today it just cranks but it will not start.We also changed the fuel filter and still nothing we would like some ideas of what u think it might be thanks for the help.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
jboard
Elder User
Im no pro but it kind of sounds like your EBPV was on. Im sure someone else will explain it better than i can.
jeremy

Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting fluid is a BIG NO-NO with PSD's. Our trucks have an automatic glow plug system, and if the system is working and you shoot starting fluid in, as soon as you turn the key on the glow plugs energize and youcould get detonation ruining your engine. Unless you disconnect the glow plug relay, or turn the key on and wait at least 2 minutes before using starting fluid you are at risk.

That said; is your tact moving while cranking(if not replace your CPS); check all of the under hood fuses(if the one for your fuel heater, can't remember the #, is blown the truck will not start, pull fuel heater wire from fuel filter housing & replace fuse); make sure your batteries "both" are at full charge(it takes alot of power to start these trucks); check all of your valve cover wiring connectors; check the oil level in your HPOP(if low, fill); check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve while cranking(min. 18psi); check connections at your IDM. The list goes on but try these and also advise what the truck is doing while trying to crank (i.e. smoking white, no smoke, etc.) and we will try and narrow it down.
Good luck.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
F350_Hauler
Elder User
Thumbs up Do not use starting fluid.

There is no problem that you can have with a PSD that starting fluid can help or fix. Old diesels used to benefit from starting fluid with some problems but it was a risk with them, too. You can easily blow up your motor. It is probably an easy fix if you hang out and answer questions and maybe do some searches on no start or cps or no fuel or problem. You can find everything you need to know to get that truck started and running good right here on FTE. check batteries. check for smoke or lack of(probably the case) while cranking. check fuses under the hood. #22, I think. It's probably your camshaft position sensor(CPS). That is the most common dead truck problem with these things. You can get a new one on ebay for around $60. It's a good idea to have a spare on hand anyway. If you buy it around town it can cost anywhere from $100 to $200. We all keep one in our glove box with a 10 mm wrench. Takes 2 minutes to change. Check your oil level. If these trucks get a gallon down they will not start. The best way to check it is to open up the plug on the top of the rectangular box on top of the front of the engine and see if the oil is all the way to the top or actually within 1/2 inch or so of the top. Anyway gotta go. Keep checking back or do some searching. You'll be able to get her going and keep her going. If you decide you don't like her send me a PM. We are looking for another one.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Originally Posted by plowhand
; check the oil level in your HPOP(if low, fill);Good luck.
Plowhand , I never heard of checking the hpop oil, how do you do that? Doesnt the hpop maintain its own oil?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
if it ran with a LOT of blue smoke, its not a cps. Sounds like you have some dead cylinders. Correct me if I am wrong, but without it throwing codes, starting and and dieing is the symptoms for that right? Running with MINIMAL power output is dropped cylinders, low fuel pressure, injectors, pcm type things. Wait for Cookie or Kwik to reply. It is POSSIBLE in my mind for it to be the EBV. Try disconnecting it juswt to see what happens. It s worthless anyhow. If you look at yyour turbo, you will see an arm of the bottom left of the housing. Follow the wires torwards the drivers side. About 1/3 of the way up, youll see the plug. Disconnect and see what happens. I really can not imagine it helping at all since you said it wouldnt even start.
If I had to guess, I would say that you wires under the valve covers have finally let loose. If your truck idled WAYYY rough, and had no power, I would pull the covers and see if its burnt. If they are crispy, you found your problem. The good thing is, its free to check..........

Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Originally Posted by Jaaaaaaackman
Plowhand , I never heard of checking the hpop oil, how do you do that? Doesnt the hpop maintain its own oil?
To check the HPOP, remove your engine cover, the reservoir for the HPOP is located at the front of ther engine valley, tall rectangular aluminum. The top right hand side (passangers) has your oil pressure sending unit screwed in, the top left hand side has a pipe plug screwed in. Use a 1/4" drive to remove the screw and check the oil level (should be full - to within a 1/2" from top). There is a check valve to prevent the reservoir from draining back, but sometimes (not very often) then go bad, stick open, or get a piece of trash in it from dirty oil.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM
Hogfan22
New User
Scanning the ford?

Ok I tried to pull the codes on the truck today and all it would say was please wait scanning but it would never give me the codes.Does the truck have to be running for it to pull the codes?Also when you cranking there is no smoke at all I did not look to see the tach it moving when cranking.I guess I will check the fuses tomorrow and see if the tach is moving if it is not moving I guess I will replace the camshaft position sensor.Thanks guys for your help.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
man that weird. I guess the cps replace would be a good start, I thought at first that it didnt sound like one, and am still saying that, but weirder things have been known to happen.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
jubbard1
New User
sounds EXACTLY like what my truck did right after i bought it. started lacking power, lots of blue smoke, finally stopped running, and didn't show any codes. it was the PCM located on driver's side firewall. i was lucky enough to have a good friend with the same truck, and borrowed his (comes out with 3 screws), and it ran. only problem- costs about $650 from ford. if ya got a real good friend maybe they'll let you borrow theirs- i dont know if it can harm anything, didn't for me, but keep in mind different trannies may have different pcm's. unless some one else knows a way to test it? good luck

Old 06-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Ya might find a PCM in a salvage (junk) yard. I'd bet any wrecked PSDs there were running when they were wrecked

Old 06-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Hogfan22
New User
Hey guys thanks for your replys I may have found the problem the guys at the shop that the truck is at talked toa guy that hasbeen working on dieselsfor a long time.He told him that he thought the the Fuel Pump was bad. What do you guys think?Also do you think that I could change the pump in about 5 hours?Instructions would help thanks again.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
I have a set of instructions for changing the pump. Click on my user name and send me a e-mail and I'll send it to ya. The fuel pressure can be check by connecting to the schrader valve on the fuel pressure regulator. 40-50 psi is normal when truck is idling. Dunno about just cranking???

Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM
jubbard1
New User
sorry

i was looking for a part for my truck and saw a picture of the computer that i changed- apparently it's called an IDM (injector driver module), not the PCM. also made me kinda mad i got ripped off $250. its cheaper here http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_ps.htm as far as the fuel pump- i changed mine and a day later and a few broken knuckles later it still didn't run. but probably a good idea to change anyway. good luck again

Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM
Ron McCafferty
Junior User
The fuel pump does make sense. If it lacked power on the ride home and then stalled and would not restart. Cranking fuel pressure should be in the range of 18-22 psi. and should be able to check volume by placing a hose on the schrader valve. If you were not getting any reading with a scanner 1st make sure the key is on engine off, 2nd check all fuses, 3rd check PCM conns that they are fully seated and not corroded in any way. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1997 F-250 Powerstroke Ford Diesel Problems.