Cam Install 351M

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 01:42 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Install 351M

hey just ordered a Lunati stock replacement cam comes in tomorrow afternoon...i need tips...i need oh $***s thats a pain....i need ideas...and most importantly where i can get the dang tool to install these things...i have a 1977 f250 351M.....

Old 05-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine specific question :

Try the 335 engine series forum.

The year of truck a has nothing to with it.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

You do not need "special" tools. I usually use a long bolt threaded into the cam.

Mike all of your camshaft bearing journals, and all of your camshaft lobes to make sure they are in spec. Also measure your camshaft bearing bores and calculate the clearances to make sure everything is in spec.

Make sure you use the camshaft manufacturers specified pre-lube.

Use Shell diesel engine oil during break-in, normal engine oil does not have the proper additives for flat tappet cams.

Last edited by Torque1st; 05-24-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
OK MIL1ON i know the year of truck has nuthin to do with it....but i threw it out ne way being nice aight....and torque...what do u mean threaded bolt into the cam explain!!!! first timer on cams here!!

Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM
garsten
Senior User
once you get the first half of the cam in, you run out of cam to hang onto as you wiggle it into the block. a 6 inch bolt with the right threads screwed into the front of the cam gives you some extra leverage as you install it in the block.

some builders recommend installing the cam before the crank so you can stand the block on it's rear face and lower the cam into the block more easily.

read and follow the lunati instructions and you will be fine! cheers, garsten

Old 05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
ok well my real issue here is the cam bearings....bushings...w/e they are....i dont want this to be a horror story like everyone elses stories.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Just measure the cam and bearings like I mentioned above.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
cwheel
Senior User
If you're asking how to do the cam bearings yourself, my recommendation is not to. Take it to a mechanic. Sure, you can buy the cam installation tool, or fashion one yourself, but you'll probably screw it up, especially if this is the first time you've ever installed a cam.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
ok this may be difficult but many times over and over ive been told dont do it urself, u know nothin ur gonna do it wrong.....im sick of that man.. u know im sure all of yall have experienced that...nothin wrong with me tryin....most likely if i get all the right info and follow it closely ill DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.....now without disrespect to yall instead of well u could do this and that....HOW DO I INSTALL THE CAM BEARINGS? with details pretty please...

Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 PM
cwheel
Senior User
If you're going to do it yourself, I'd recommend at least getting a manual on rebuilding the Ford V8...it describes the tool you need to install the bearings, as well as how to install them. You need to debur the edges, tidy up the surface on the block, install so the oil holes line up, etc... You HAVE to have some sort of tool for installing them. That's why I recommended taking it to a mechanic...the mechanic will charge $20-$30, but the tool to install them will be at least that much if you build it yourself, and more than $100 if you buy the actual tool.

I just finished rebuilding my 400 from the ground up with a mild rebuild. There were two things I didn't do myself: install the cam bearings and do a 3-angle valve job. I had a mechanic do them because they require fairly expensive tools and have to be PERFECT to get a properly running engine.

I hear you about wanting to do stuff yourself, though, so good luck if you try it yourself. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
SwampBilly
Senior User
ok heres another questionhow bad do these cam bearings get? is it really necessary to change out the bearings? are they mostly are alright?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Have them measured by a machinist, then mike the cam and calculate the clearances and see if they are within 0.001-0.003".

Old 05-25-2006, 09:15 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
well my cam arrived...and tomorrow i begin the nightmare.....under a tarp..in the rain...its supposed to rain all day tomorrow...

Old 05-27-2006, 04:03 PM
SwampBilly
Senior User
ok heres and update and a problem....cam installed...timing chain and gears were fine and i installed them with the timing marks in the right location....the distributor is brand new....and is obvoiously in ok state and meshes fine with the new cam...vacume lines are all conneted or plugged...carbeurator is pretty much brand new...engine was timed accordingly...TDC was found and rotor pointed to the #1 spark....distributor was turned left and right to find correct time...still through all this tribulation and horror.....it WILL NOT START....and after turnin the key for a few seconds and lettin off.....either a phew or boom...i backfire! what the !!@ i hate this #$%%#@ !$#@%@! !$%%^^! !^$^@!#$!~@#!!!! :sigh: what im trying to say is HELP!

Old 05-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Sounds like the distributor pickup is either not plugged in or not working. Typical Duraspark ignition will throw a spark when turned off or powered down explaining the BOOM.

-BTW, the BOOM probably blew your power valve in the carb...

Quick Reply: Cam Install 351M