Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Calling Greywolf

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling Greywolf

Well, there I was searching the internet the other night for some information on a new project bike I just got, and lo and behold, who do I run across other than Greywolf. It appears that we both have a metallic blue F7 175. I just picked up a basketcase today, and was roaming around some bike forum and found a link to your page (door into tomorrow). Kind of ironic...don't you think?

Sean

Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be dipped - the meta tags must have worked!

Sure isn't much info on those old Enduros is there? I may have some extra goodies for ya that won't be used on the #2 bike. The headlight housing and mounts for one thing, #2 is going to be pure trail.

I'm still thinking of some way to get the headlight on the street bike to quit burning out but will probably have to find an industrial electronic supply house to get what I need to bulletproof it.

Those lights are priced out of this world IF you can find someone who has one (both Kawi and Stanley have discontinued manufacture of the headlight insert). The smart money says retrofit a honda headlight that uses ordinary sealed beams...

Another tip from an old timer was to start thinking in terms of a "PRE-MIXED" bike - the 2-cycle oil pumps can fail without warning and fry the whole lower end.

What year IS yours? According to Mr. Bigham the first year they came out was the F7, the next year was F7A, and the last year was F7B. I've got a 72, and a 73 - I think they are an "A" and a "B" but I can't find my notes on it.

Last edited by Greywolf; 05-22-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
It's a 72 model. The engine (it came with two) is locked up, so I hope I have enough parts to build one good engine. Other than than...it's pretty much all there. Not as clean as your bike, but getting there. Funny, the only thing I don't have is the headlight for this bike.

Sean

Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Don't go with the Kawi version - look around for a Honda that will fit.

They were bad about proprietary parts...

You can have the housing from the number two bike, but in my opinion it's worthless.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
*I've taken up the "DOORS" website again and am tweaking it into some kind of shape that will reflect my thoughts on how to travel the interstate even with gas prices going through the roof.

I expect it will become totally OLD SCHOOL to some degree...

No pie in the sky! You want it - you bend your own wrenches to get it.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Cool! I've almost got my lil Kawi running. Just a few more parts and it will be ready to ride.

Sean

Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Don't know what to tell ya about the headlight problem yet, except don't run the original headlight. Swap out the housing for a Honda or something with a standard bulb.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
I'm still missing a few parts (intake manifold & seat) so the headlight issue is on the back burner for now. Besides, I'll just be riding it as a dirt bike anyway.

Sean

Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
#2 bike is going to be pure trail. The intake elbow is just a big rubber tube, and I halfway thought about mounting a cone style air filter right there on the engine casing.

It's simpler than running the plumbing up under the seat.

A seat can be made out of plywood, foam rubber, and vinyl upholstery material. #2 is going to have one like that.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
actually, I'm missing the metal intake manifold that the bolts between the rotary valve and the carb. I think I'm just going to weld up something out of some scrap aluminum lying around. I've already got the intake system worked out. Do you have any need for a spare bottom end that's all but locked up? Does have some good parts, though...

Sean

Old 07-02-2006, 04:21 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
If you don't want it, I'll sure take it. Chances are good that when I get the dirt machine going something is going to let go before it's all over.

I know for a fact that one was rode hard and put away wet!

Odd though - I thought most 2 cycle bikes had a reed valve under the carb...

Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
OBTW:

I fired off an E-Mail to Buchanan Spoke and Rim in California to find out what spokes I'll need to lace up a 21 inch DID alloy front rim on the original F7 front hub on the dirt machine. I'm after a set of plain jane heavy guage stainless spokes and nipples so they don't rust and crud up, and for strength.

You've heard my theories about wheel weight and fuel economy - the method also works for speed and handling. I'm going to lace up a set of wheels for this bike that will turn it into a totally different creature!!!

Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Well, you're correct about most 2-stroke bikes having a reed valve. However, these have a rotary valve behind the right side crankcase cover (behind carb). Kawasaki was the only manufacturer to make an induction system like this.

Sean

Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
That figures. Kawasaki seems to do a lot of things nobody else does, and that is not necessarily a good thing.

But its still a fun bike!

Another thought I had recently is to come up with some kind of a case drain to get rid of excess fuel that accumulates under the carb if it sits too long.

Last edited by Greywolf; 07-02-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf
Another thought I had recently is to come up with some kind of a case drain to get rid of excess fuel that accumulates under the carb if it sits too long.
I thought they had a drain right under the carb...maybe not.

Sean

Quick Reply: Calling Greywolf