Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

towing with a lightning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 PM
buffchick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing with a lightning

I have a 1999 Lightning with 40,000 miles and mods of air-kit and headers back through exhaust, and factory tow package. Will towing with it effect the performance mods and put too much strain on the truck? Does anyone ever tow with a Lightning? I have never seen it....A little help,,
Buffchick

Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 AM
sigma
Senior User
I have towed with mine many times. I have towed two wheeled utility trailers, car dollies with car, boats, loaded car trailers, and loads of lumber. Some loads were over the 5,000 pounds rated limit. The Lightning easily handled it all including one trip through the Rocky Mountains with a loaded car trailer.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
pronstar
Elder User
IMHO the only strain would be tranny heat. So drive it like you'd drive anything else when towing - carefully and not racing around - and you'll be fine.

These trucks are rated to do the work of a real truck. Unlike some trucks that are for performance only, and not rated to tow or haul a meaningful load.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
buffchick
New User
Is there anything I could add to the truck to make the tow even easier?

Old 05-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The 4R100's in those trucks are pretty stout. You could put an aftermarket valve body in the trans to make the shifts firmer, but it's not really neccessary. Otherwise, make sure the trans fluid changes are done regularly, and your load is properly balanced.

On a side note, you wouldn't believe how many owners use Lightnings to tow their race trucks to Lightning Fest every year (GEN 1's and 2's). Most of these tow pigs are stock, or near stock.

Old 05-17-2006, 06:12 PM
pronstar
Elder User
I'd recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler...I don't think the factory unit is adequate, but this is just my opinion.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
buffchick
New User
Well, you guys have been really, really helpful to me. I guess i will start shopping for that boat then!!!!,,Thanx again,
Buffchick

Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by pronstar
I'd recommend an aftermarket tranny cooler...I don't think the factory unit is adequate, but this is just my opinion.
In some cases they are and in others, they aren't, it just depends on what you're towing, how much you're towing, and how often you tow. With an aftermarket cooler, it's much bigger and much more effiecient than the stock setup. In this case a small invesment will yield a big return. This is just one of those "better safe than sorry" sort of things.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 AM
02 LariatFX4
Junior User
I put one in my 99 dodge 5 yrs ago and used it for 2 yrs towing 5000lbs plus a day ...(really..worked 7 days a week to be able to afford a new ford..lol) and I am the only person I know who has towed a heavy trailer for an extended period daily who never had the dodge tranny sh&t the bed....I believe in aftermarket coolers now more than ever...I put one on my current truck to and have had 0 troubles as well...not that I expected them like I did with the dodge....and to my knowledge..(I sold it to a guy in my buisness who tows a work trqailer to..) and he has still had no trouble with the tranny....I'm sure had I left it stock it would have been found on the 401 here in Toronto before I sold it 3 years ago....

Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
buffchick
New User
How much does something like that run, installed and all?

Old 06-16-2006, 07:19 PM
02 LariatFX4
Junior User
you can get them varying from 250 to way way higher...not even sure how high...lol I paid 500 installed for the one I have and had...I went to the same guy to get them both done..funny enough..I don't even know the brand or part number...may be able to find the reciept..I'll check but I am horribly disorganized..as I am sure I have it..I may not find either receipt

Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Blurry94
The 4R100's in those trucks are pretty stout. You could put an aftermarket valve body in the trans to make the shifts firmer, but it's not really neccessary. Otherwise, make sure the trans fluid changes are done regularly, and your load is properly balanced.

On a side note, you wouldn't believe how many owners use Lightnings to tow their race trucks to Lightning Fest every year (GEN 1's and 2's). Most of these tow pigs are stock, or near stock.
+1, good info.

Plus, I like the idea of adding an aftermarket tranny cooler. You don't have to break the bank to do that either. The Factory Tech cooler works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have a buddy in NorCal who uses his stock Gen 2 Lightning to tow his race prepped Gen 2 L to the track without any problems.

Stewart

Old 07-22-2006, 04:22 PM
nordy racer
Senior User
thats all i do with my Lightning.. i tow a 5000lb boat every weekend. i also tow my race car with my sportbikes in the bed.. i HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS with my ride.

i'm running a 4lb lower and a K&N without a tune (i know i'm pushing it)

Old 07-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by nordy racer
thats all i do with my Lightning.. i tow a 5000lb boat every weekend. i also tow my race car with my sportbikes in the bed..

Nice GN! I think i've seen that picture a few times in a certain sig at another site.

Stewart

Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM
nordy racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by S_Harvey
Nice GN! I think i've seen that picture a few times in a certain sig at another site.

Stewart
thanks man.. I'M STILL NOT HAVING ANY LUCK ON SELL HER (the lightning)...

Quick Reply: towing with a lightning